RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC 350 to RC F?

Old 01-29-19, 06:45 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Just my opinion....... After my experience with my RCF in snow/ice conditions, I have learned that anytime the combination of nearly 500hp with a RWD car in snow/ice with ANY type of tires is just asking for trouble. Also the low clearance of the RCF is not good in the snow/ice conditions anyway, even with chains on. Need something like an LX OR GX.

Originally Posted by zserv
I'm just south of West Lafayette (Purdue) area. We don't get a ton of snow but I don't wanna make the wrong decision and switch from AWD to RWD only to find out its undrivable.

So far I've looked at a couple in the Chicago area! The only dealer I know of in the state is Tom Wood in Indy, which kinda sucks. When I got my RC350 I ended up going to Cincinnati, but it was wellllllll worth it.
Old 01-29-19, 07:00 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

By the way, if you see the ad for the "new" 2017 white RCF at Lexus in Ft Wayne, skip it. I drove up there and test drove it. It was the 1st one I test drove and it sold me on the RCF, but that car has 7k miles on it and was in pitiful shape. Interior damage to the seat, un-repaired dings in the paint causing rust, sun burnt film and overall the car needed a deep detail clean. I wouldn't have been shocked to find french fries under the seat if I looked. They claimed it was a demo car and came to the lot in that condition. Price was attractive for a new '17, but my used '15 was a much better find. They did have a red '16 with 600 miles on it in showroom condition but were firm at $63k this summer.
The following users liked this post:
zserv (01-30-19)
Old 01-29-19, 08:09 PM
coralchpr
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts

getting it an RCF after 3 years in an RC350... best decision ever!!! Bruce Wayne by day, Batman by night. 😊
The following users liked this post:
zserv (01-30-19)
Old 01-30-19, 07:21 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Do you daily drive it?

I am retired. I have 3 cars to choose from to drive. I have a Ford F150, A Miata and the RCF.

I drive the RCF a lot. Probably my most driven car. I also live in California so weather is not much of an issue. If I go to the snow I take the truck.
Old 01-30-19, 08:09 AM
b761125
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a RCF but I daily drive my ISF in Ontario, Canada weather.
Michelin Pilot Alpine 4 17" 235 square setup. My tire is down to the last season this year (6mm tread)
We (Ontario, Canada) just had a big snow storm that landed 20cm of snow on the ground. This probably would be the worst case for most F drivers.

Do I slide? Yes, however, it is controllable and you can retain your direction of travel with proper steering input and careful throttle control. Braking is not always the best solution in snow and ice.
I was worried about the snow before since the ISF is my first RWD car and this is the first season for me. After driving, I would say I am comfortable driving RWD in snowy condition as long as I have proper snow tires.

You do not and should not use all season tires for your F if you planned on driving in snowy/ icy condition.
Old 01-30-19, 08:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I realize what you are saying.

I lived up in Michigan for some 6+ years back many years ago. I had a FWD Honda Accord and a small RWD pick up truck. In the winter I had dedicated Bridgestone Blizzak tires and ALL GOOD until I hit BLACK ICE. All bets were off and started sliding and went to the ditch. Lucky for me..... nobody got hurt and the car was ok. Just had to be towed out.

Originally Posted by b761125
Michelin Pilot Alpine 4 17" 235 square setup. My tire is down to the last season this year (6mm tread)
We (Ontario, Canada) just had a big snow storm that landed 20cm of snow on the ground. This probably would be the worst case for most F drivers.

Do I slide? Yes, however, it is controllable and you can retain your direction of travel with proper steering input and careful throttle control. Braking is not always the best solution in snow and ice.
I was worried about the snow before since the ISF is my first RWD car and this is the first season for me. After driving, I would say I am comfortable driving RWD in snowy condition as long as I have proper snow tires.

You do not and should not use all season tires for your F if you planned on driving in snowy/ icy condition.
Old 01-30-19, 10:48 AM
b761125
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I realize what you are saying.

I lived up in Michigan for some 6+ years back many years ago. I had a FWD Honda Accord and a small RWD pick up truck. In the winter I had dedicated Bridgestone Blizzak tires and ALL GOOD until I hit BLACK ICE. All bets were off and started sliding and went to the ditch. Lucky for me..... nobody got hurt and the car was ok. Just had to be towed out.
Yes, a big patch of black ice is definitely a problem. Maybe brand new snow tire would help a little but realistically none of the snow tire/ car combination can win against black ice. You will need studded tires for that.
Old 01-30-19, 12:02 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a HUGE difference between all-season tires and actual snow tires, all-seasons are only slightly better than a summer tire in snow and ice conditions. A dedicated snow tire will make a world of difference, however, I would personally avoid driving an RCF in winter conditions more out of fear that a random, inexperienced winter driver who believes all-seasons are sufficient would slide into me. Plus I hate the effects of salt and road chemicals on a beautiful vehicle.

If you can upgrade and still afford a reliable winter beater, then DO IT. You won't regret the step up to the RCF.
Old 01-30-19, 09:24 PM
zserv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 46750
There is a HUGE difference between all-season tires and actual snow tires, all-seasons are only slightly better than a summer tire in snow and ice conditions. A dedicated snow tire will make a world of difference, however, I would personally avoid driving an RCF in winter conditions more out of fear that a random, inexperienced winter driver who believes all-seasons are sufficient would slide into me. Plus I hate the effects of salt and road chemicals on a beautiful vehicle.

If you can upgrade and still afford a reliable winter beater, then DO IT. You won't regret the step up to the RCF.
I could probably make a two car setup happen, its just hard to spend this much money on a car and not be able to drive it year round.
Old 01-30-19, 09:26 PM
zserv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by b761125

Yeah I would definitely get some snow tires. I'm just worried that it still won't handle well in the snow. I have some past experience with RWD cars in the winter, just never one with 470hp and this much torque so I just wanna be sure its capable.
Old 01-30-19, 09:29 PM
zserv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoSlow
By the way, if you see the ad for the "new" 2017 white RCF at Lexus in Ft Wayne, skip it. I drove up there and test drove it. It was the 1st one I test drove and it sold me on the RCF, but that car has 7k miles on it and was in pitiful shape. Interior damage to the seat, un-repaired dings in the paint causing rust, sun burnt film and overall the car needed a deep detail clean. I wouldn't have been shocked to find french fries under the seat if I looked. They claimed it was a demo car and came to the lot in that condition. Price was attractive for a new '17, but my used '15 was a much better find. They did have a red '16 with 600 miles on it in showroom condition but were firm at $63k this summer.
You wouldn't believe the experience I had looking at an RCF in chicago this past week. Was a 2015 with 26k miles listed for like $47000.... But it was missing its rubber floor mats from the all weather package and had Delinte tires on it. Never even heard of Delinte tires so I had to look them up, turns out they're like $80 a tire. Also, the dealer said I could take the RC350's rubber mats out and put them in the RCF if I wanted lmao.
Old 01-30-19, 09:32 PM
zserv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by net4n6
I don't like this thread. I have my 350 FSport for 6 months and this thread made me to spend time on autotrader to look for a RCF.
Same, I've had mine for around 7 months now. It's not that I don't like it cause its a great car. I just graduated college with a pretty solid engineering job and can afford a bit more car than I originally anticipated.
Old 01-30-19, 10:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Never even heard of Delinte tires
Walmart sells 'em - so they must be good

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 01-31-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 05:46 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I had some trepidation about driving an RC F in the snow before I bought it. You will be fine as long as you buy good dedicated snow tires (preferably with a square setup), have basic winter driving skills (brake and throttle control, not making sharp turns, sudden stops, etc). I have yet to even use the "snow" mode here in Northeast Ohio. What did people do in snowy conditions before front and all-wheel drive were common? Spin around in circles and crash into each other LOL.
Old 01-31-19, 04:41 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

And CHEAP AND GOOD TIRES!!!!

Originally Posted by flowrider
Walmart sells 'em - so they must be good

Lou

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC 350 to RC F?