RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Painting chrome window trim...

Old 01-25-19, 01:35 AM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Painting chrome window trim...

so, when I bought my RCF the previous owner had the chrome trim wrapped with black vinyl but it was poorly done. I paid a pretty reputable local shop to re-do it, and it's better, but I'm a perfectionist and was looking for feedback from anyone that may have had the chrome window trim painted black. Anyone on here go that route? Did you (or your bodyshop) remove and repaint the original part, or does the removal bend/damage the part which would require you to buy replacement pieces to have painted?
Old 01-25-19, 02:47 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree. I had mine wrapped twice. First time in gloss black and didn't like the gloss. Had it redone in matte black and it looks right, but up close you can tell its wrapped. Maybe just me, because I know, but curious if painting it was an option.
Old 01-25-19, 05:52 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I plasti-dipped all the chrome on my white RC. I dont like the look of chrome on a white car (I did the spoiler too). I have redone several of the chrome pieces. My first effort was pretty decent. The last parts I did turned out great. Personally, I would not pay someone to paint them. Using the plasti-dip was really easy to do and looks great. And, if for some reason you get sick of the blackout...just peel it off.
Old 01-25-19, 08:11 AM
BretTravis
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chrome Trim Black Out

I too hate the bright chrome window trim. On my Infra Red RCF I also disliked the clash of the tail lights & the body color. I had the tail lights slightly tinted and had matte tape applied to the window chrome. Tape was $250; whereas, "painting" was quoted at $1,750.00. Although, the tape has neither the duration or aesthetic that "painting" offers I chose it for the ease of application, removability, and cost. Now that dark trim is available we have another option.
Old 01-25-19, 08:32 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree - I had my tails wrapped in tint, also the mirror turn signals.

Old 01-25-19, 12:15 PM
OURISF
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Not on an RCF but when I owned MYISF (see tag on picture), I had Lexus repaint the entire car (got a serious deal as my Buddy was the GM) and I asked about painting the window trim black while they had the car torn apart. They advised against it and said the paint has a hard time holding onto the material and would not last very long...so instead had it wrapped in satin black.

But they did spray my rear tail lights (Clear with 3 drops of black) which I would love to get done on my RCF.

Old 01-25-19, 01:06 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I can see the concern with paint not adhering well to the chrome, that's something I hadn't really thought about previously. I'm not a big fan of plastidip on a car like this, but if the vinyl starts to really drive me crazy I may consider that as a cheap alternative to try. For now, I think I'll stick with the vinyl wrap I paid for, most people probably wouldn't even notice that it's not factory, I'm just too particular about my car sometimes.
Old 01-26-19, 10:41 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

I tried getting 2 local shops to bid on painting window trim and the front grill trim. Both shops said they would not guarantee the paint wouldn’t peel due to the paint not wanting to stick on that chrome finish. Plus the cost was outrageous so I didn’t follow through.
Personsl I don’t think body shops like doing tiny detailed jobs like this so they price it way high.

Btw the rear window trim is part of the rear window. You can’t buy the trim separate. It comes on the window as one part number.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (01-28-19)
Old 01-26-19, 10:54 AM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts

I had mine plasti dipped and couldn’t be happier same thing body shop didn’t gaurantee me paint would stick on chrome
Old 01-26-19, 05:15 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I believe the 2020 track edition has a black matte window trim. I wonder if its the same size as 15-19?
Old 01-26-19, 09:40 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
I believe the 2020 track edition has a black matte window trim. I wonder if its the same size as 15-19?
Looks like it would. I think the regular refreshed rc has darker chrome .

​​​​​​Edit. I lied about the refreshed rc
Old 01-27-19, 04:01 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
please let it be, I'm so tired of this chrome trim and there has never been a good option for it. I'm interested in the track edition wheels as well but I suspect they will not be cheap.
Old 01-27-19, 04:02 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bahrcf
I had mine plasti dipped and couldn’t be happier same thing body shop didn’t gaurantee me paint would stick on chrome
do you paint that on? I've seen them plasti-dip a whole car on youtube but wondering if you remove and spray or mask off or what?
Old 01-27-19, 10:54 PM
bahrcf
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
do you paint that on? I've seen them plasti-dip a whole car on youtube but wondering if you remove and spray or mask off or what?
you just spray it on any surface you want and the good thing about it is that if you don’t like it it could be easily peeled off, kind of like rubber
Old 07-11-19, 09:06 AM
bullhog
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing plasti dip

No, it is not easily removed from window trim, wheels or front grille...it takes a lot of time and patience as I have installed and removed Plasti dip.
Originally Posted by bahrcf

you just spray it on any surface you want and the good thing about it is that if you don’t like it it could be easily peeled off, kind of like rubber

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-11-19 at 09:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting chrome window trim...