RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

So I just went (kinda) cheap on tires (Firestone indy 500)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 08:46 PM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So I just went (kinda) cheap on tires (Firestone indy 500)

I dont post much but really felt the need to share this.
I am at 45k miles on the car and 2 weeks ago finished the second set of Michelin PSS with worn out edges and terrible grip.
I read a ton of reviews and figured I would try and see what these relatively cheap Firestone Indy 500s feel like on the car.
I have never been to a race track and this is purely from a street perspective... in mexico

The short answer is I dont know yet.

Here is the long answer:
Before you post that its too early to judge a tire and that I need to have at least 1000 miles on them hear me out.
Im sure everybody knows what the PSS feels like so I wont go there. I hate how the wear the sides and just needed to see what else is out there.
I went 1 size bigger front and back (265 front 285 back). Can really tell the difference in looks compared to the PSS. I dont think I would go wider front but the back can handle a 295.

Noise: It feels a little quieter than I remember the PSS, It could all be in my head but so far so good

Grip: I feel that it is slightly under the PSS on when it gives out. I still managed 1g in a slow corner today but what bothers me a little is how forgiving the tire is.
I dont think its a bad thing to have plenty of warning but the PSS felt like it held longer and gave out sharper. I guess I have gotten used to that so this is bothering me a little. I have to give the tires some more time to tell if its better or worse.
When accelerating from 0 I dont feel a difference in grip

Sidewall:
When changing directions hard to avoid a pothole, a car or to pass a mustang gt(in mexico) I would say the sidewall is a little different. I cant tell if its the tire pressure or the sidewall being softer or not remembering well what the PSS felt like almost new with much thread on it.
So far its close but I would say a little worse. I will have to update this in a few months when I get to know it better. The steering wheel appears lighter even though I have wider tires on the front. Turn in is a little slower but it may be due to it being new and me not remembering the PSS when it was new.
When going over bumps on my way to work in the morning I would say the tire feels exactly the same as the PSS. I doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference.

What im really trying to say:
The tire is so close to the PSS that I still dont know which one is better. So far the only thing that bothers me is how forgiving the tire is which may not be a bad thing.
I would say the early verdict is that its worth saving the extra $500-600 for the almost non existent difference.
Ill try to update this thread as soon as I notice something new with them.
Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion. You may feel a huge difference, you may love it or hate it.
Old 01-18-19, 09:14 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

You may find this thread in the ISF forum interesting:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...500-tires.html

Lou
Old 01-19-19, 04:15 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I get these tires Installed on my ES330 and am very happy with the results... FYI... Basically the Indy 500s are same tires as the Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin Re003

Last edited by finny76; 01-19-19 at 05:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by finny76:
lobuxracer (01-22-19), LRCSALES (01-22-19)
Old 01-19-19, 05:20 PM
Sit
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

How's the Longevity suppose to be?
Old 01-19-19, 08:51 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

They're great tires for the price. Bunch of my friends run them for track and street and love it. I plan on picking up P4S for my SSR wheels and for the OEM I'll be throwing these on for track use.
The following users liked this post:
Ratedg (03-10-19)
Old 01-20-19, 07:37 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Nice Thread

Good for you on trying something new! Nice post buddy! I agree the Michelins are pricey but if you're getting good results w these, I wish you the best. Love to see how long they last.

No idea what Mexico weather is like or if this your daily driver, but it's a good perspective for sure. Hey what are your normal Speed Limits down there man? Specifically Highway Speed?

And you're 100% correct when you say it's all about "Personal Opinion" too! Dont ever think twice about what others say or think. As long as YOU are content w your Lexus, that's all that matters!

Semper Fi !!
Old 02-22-19, 11:49 PM
mirza
Rookie

its been a few k miles. Just wanted to update everybody. They are not as good as the PSS. I would say they are good for the money but i will be looking at a tire with more grip. Probably go back to michelins replacement for the PSS
The following 2 users liked this post by mirza:
Apone (02-23-19), bob67 (03-01-19)
Old 02-24-19, 05:48 AM
Colt45ccg
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I really appreciate your follow up post - thank you
Old 02-28-19, 04:39 AM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mirza
its been a few k miles. Just wanted to update everybody. They are not as good as the PSS. I would say they are good for the money but i will be looking at a tire with more grip. Probably go back to michelins replacement for the PSS
How is the noise level with these tires? I'm looking to get a set soon and thanks for the review.
Old 03-05-19, 03:20 AM
mirza
Rookie

Very good. I cant tell the difference. I was not aware of any issues with noise levels.
Other than slightly less grip there is really nothing to complain about.
I heard the PSS replacement has better grip and life than the PSS. I just cant live with the fact that if I paid 300-400 more I could have gotten the extra grip.
If you absolutely dont drive the car hard ever the indy is an awesome tire. Im not complaining on the tire I just wish I would have gone for the best traction.
Old 03-11-19, 08:56 AM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would put the indy 500's on the same level of COMFORT and Driving FEEL, but as far as GRIP goes its just right under Hankook V12 Evo2's. The Indy500's have a "Squishy" side wall as the hankooks do.. by squishy, i mean if you take your wheel and kinda zigzag you feel the tires flexing and playing "Catch Up" with Front to Rear.

The MPSS dont. Its a Firm ride, but it holds.
Old 03-12-19, 08:26 AM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratedg
I would put the indy 500's on the same level of COMFORT and Driving FEEL, but as far as GRIP goes its just right under Hankook V12 Evo2's. The Indy500's have a "Squishy" side wall as the hankooks do.. by squishy, i mean if you take your wheel and kinda zigzag you feel the tires flexing and playing "Catch Up" with Front to Rear.

The MPSS dont. Its a Firm ride, but it holds.
Me personally,
Dry Grip PSS <=> PS4s > Indy500 >> Hankook V12 evo, haven't tried Evo2 since I went to PSS from Evo
Wet Grip PS4s > PSS >> Indy 500 > V12 evo (not evo2)
Response PSS > PS4s > Indy 500 > V12 evo

I always take corners hard when it's safe and clear and that's my personal opinion on how the tires feel. actual dry grip I feel like 4s might be better than PSS but the response and softer side wall feel than PSS gave me less confidence to commit. It felt like 4s was about to slip but it hooks before it did. PSS had hard sidewalls and went where you pointed it, even the rear slipping out was controlled. Indy500 had good response, close to pss/4s on hard turns but also communicated well when it did give out. V12 evo was just less grip overall. 4s did feel more compliant on regular driving, wasn't as harsh.

I personally like the PSS the best but the minor sacrifice and savings the Indy500 wins out. Tire wear I'm not sure yet as I'm still on my first set of Indy500. PSS about 20k, PS4s about 21-22k (rears)
Indy500 work perfectly fine for street.
The following 3 users liked this post by bakalag:
buister (03-12-19), CAHWY128 (03-12-19), Ratedg (03-12-19)
Old 03-12-19, 03:56 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I already made a few comments in the thread flowrider posted above, but would like to add that I went from V12's to these 500's and they are better in every category.

I couldn't stand the Hankooks. They were trash. For the price, these can't be beat. Again, for the price. Clearly if you want to spend quite a bit more there are better options. But I got these for just over $600 and that's insanity for such a good daily driven tire.