ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RC F (2015-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f-2015-present-259/)
-   -   The RC-F is given back to the dealer (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f-2015-present/908760-the-rc-f-is-given-back-to-the-dealer.html)

Suburbazin 01-12-19 01:01 AM

The RC-F is given back to the dealer

With not much sadness I've bid my RC-F goodbye. In its last days a conundrum of quirks cropped up and generally irritated me, namely retarded body controls programming and 3 years of the radio turning off but not back on if USB devices were detached/attached. Oh, and the utterly pointless remote start system that actually couldn't cool the car when hot or warm up the car when cold (nail in coffin). Oh, and remote start turned the car off every time I touched the freezing cold door (second nail in coffin). And then the transmission controls started commanding the wing to retract at 125+MPH and just ignoring the wing button without changing transmission modes first (Final nail in coffin).

So my new car is a 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 Ultimate (ok, it is used, but in pristine condition). Interior accommodations are far better, all the infotainment stuff just works and very well at that. Car is almost if not as fast in a straight line as the F and way, way more consistent. No throttle demand shenanigans. Transmission is a lot slower shifting up but it makes up for it with unmitigated torque between shifts. Transmission is far, far faster downshifting and doesn't have "dead" zones nearly as big as the F. Sadly, the exhaust note is much less sonorous, in fact barely audible.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...5ef9f11d3e.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...664996df6b.jpg

Vitveet 01-12-19 06:28 AM

Sorry to hear your bad luck with the F! But trust me, you're in the honeymoon period with your Hyundai, lol. Same way you were when you bought your F....comparing it to your previous car , it was the best thing since sliced bread! You'll have 10-15 "nails in the coffin" with the Hyundai in 2-4 years.
For now, enjoy!

V.

Mingofish 01-12-19 07:02 AM

Well good luck with genesis. Hate to hear you dump the car for those little quirks. Heard those are good cars although I’ve never driven one. I’ve sat in a few. Interior seems of high quality

Most of those problems you had would not have bothered me except the wing issue. I don’t think I’ve ever used my remote start until it expired and I never renewed.
I guess that’s what makes us individuals. To me, you drive the rcf because of its overall cosmetic appeal, plus the awesome motor, the exhaust note, the beautiful interior, and lastly the Lexus reliability. All the other misc quirks are just that. Yes the infotainment system is everyone’s complaint but it isn’t a deal breaker imo.
Like V said, every car is going to have some “nails”.
Personally I would place my bet on lexus reliability vs Hyundai.

Best of luck going forward.

CAHWY128 01-12-19 07:56 AM

None of the issues you described were to bad for me, but the wing would have to work right.

As someone who has owned a lot of American cars over the years, you just can't even describe how much better a Lexus is.

Anyway, good luck with your new car.

05RollaXRS 01-12-19 08:02 AM

All the best. Hope you have the peace of mind you were looking for. :thumbup::thumbup:

Db750 01-12-19 12:44 PM

Congrats on your downgrade.

lexusrus 01-12-19 04:56 PM

I BRIEFLY considered the Hyundai Genesis/Equus a few years back, but decided to NOT go for it.

True that the Genesis/Equus has great "VALUE", but at the end of the day I don't think it delivers for me. It's also true Hyundai had come a long way since the Hyundai Excel 4 door of the early 1990's.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...05e54a3bbd.png

These days, I'm looking for a combination of VALUE, RELIABILITY, AND PERFORMANCE.

I hope your Genesis DID NOT have the air suspension system which is prone to failures. Genesis/Equus uses the "German" air bags which is VERY EXPENSIVE to replace. True you can convert to non air suspension, but the ride will not be the same. Personally if I'm on the hook for high running costs, then I will just go for "better vehicles".

Originally Posted by Suburbazin (Post 10407294)
With not much sadness I've bid my RC-F goodbye. In its last days a conundrum of quirks cropped up and generally irritated me, namely retarded body controls programming and 3 years of the radio turning off but not back on if USB devices were detached/attached. Oh, and the utterly pointless remote start system that actually couldn't cool the car when hot or warm up the car when cold (nail in coffin). Oh, and remote start turned the car off every time I touched the freezing cold door (second nail in coffin). And then the transmission controls started commanding the wing to retract at 125+MPH and just ignoring the wing button without changing transmission modes first (Final nail in coffin).

So my new car is a 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 Ultimate (ok, it is used, but in pristine condition). Interior accommodations are far better, all the infotainment stuff just works and very well at that. Car is almost if not as fast in a straight line as the F and way, way more consistent. No throttle demand shenanigans. Transmission is a lot slower shifting up but it makes up for it with unmitigated torque between shifts. Transmission is far, far faster downshifting and doesn't have "dead" zones nearly as big as the F. Sadly, the exhaust note is much less sonorous, in fact barely audible.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...5ef9f11d3e.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...664996df6b.jpg

Suburbazin 01-13-19 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by lexusrus (Post 10407825)
I hope your Genesis DID NOT have the air suspension system which is prone to failures. Genesis/Equus uses the "German" air bags which is VERY EXPENSIVE to replace. True you can convert to non air suspension, but the ride will not be the same. Personally if I'm on the hook for high running costs, then I will just go for "better vehicles".

This one has CDC/ECS with steel springs. I hate air suspension anyways, it's only a pothole away from demise.

nomadlife 01-13-19 09:44 AM

You got it declared a lemon?

BlueRCF10 01-13-19 05:16 PM

I’d personally never do such a trade. I specifically wanted a unique coupe with a fantastic/lively blue as the one I have now. My other choices were a Cobalt Blue 997 Turbo and a Cobalt Blue Vantage S. As you can see from my choices I opted for the cheaper option by approx 15-25k.

I had a brand new Genesis as a rental for 7 days and I enjoyed it indeed but it didn’t meet my needs for a summer sportier car. Some enthusiasts will put up with a few minor issues to own the car they really want. To each their own!

lexusrus 01-13-19 10:36 PM

You are smart to avoid the air suspension. That's why Lexus uses the more sophisticated and reliable hydraulic suspension found in the LX570. Our last LX470 the hydraulic suspension lasted 280K+ miles and still going strong before we traded it in for another new LX570.

​​​​​​I like predictability in addition to reliability and perfermance.....

Originally Posted by Suburbazin (Post 10408001)
This one has CDC/ECS with steel springs. I hate air suspension anyways, it's only a pothole away from demise.

Blze001 01-16-19 07:58 AM

I'm confused, if you set a temperature, wouldn't the car heat/cool based on that? Does that feature get disabled when you remote start it?

Suburbazin 01-17-19 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Blze001 (Post 10411244)
I'm confused, if you set a temperature, wouldn't the car heat/cool based on that? Does that feature get disabled when you remote start it?

It tries. However, that's dependent on the system being left in Auto or set aggressively enough to make a difference. But even if it's left in Auto, 10 minutes of idling isn't enough to put warmth in the cabin, since the engine is only beginning to warm up. A/C fares slightly better, but if the car shuts off and it's in the sun all that work is for naught. Same for opening the door on a hot or cold day, with the car turning off all that climate controlling it just did goes out the door and isn't even being replaced. So it's not much different from leaving it off.

GunnyFitz 01-17-19 03:57 AM

Enough already.