RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus RCF - Overtaking Porsche 911, Corvette, BMW and Audi RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 06:36 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Lexus RCF - Overtaking Porsche 911, Corvette, BMW and Audi RS

Just a little vid about the RCF beeing driven.
Old 01-03-19, 06:54 AM
Benoit
Advanced

And here at Road America.
Old 01-03-19, 08:00 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs up

As much as Id love to think the RCF can keep up with these other vehicles, this was obviously an "Open Track Day" in which anyone could take their car out on a track. The Driver of the Vette signals his intent to allow the pass. Unless these drivers all start from a stopped position, have somewhat equal driving skills, and adhere to track etiquette, its not so relative IMHO. The driver of the 911 clearly does not have the same skillset as the German driver - his apex is quite a bit off based on the short clip of him. Not sure how many Open Track Days allow a passenger to be in the car, but then again I base my race experience on two wheels. * Would be great to know what mods both of these Fs have in them too!
Old 01-03-19, 04:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Both of them sound completely stock. RCF was tuned at the Nürburgring, which is why it seems right at home.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-03-19 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (01-04-19)
Old 01-03-19, 07:52 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

That German guy knew the track well!
No helmets....!!

So amazing the difference between germans and Americans. On the public roads, Germans/Europeans know to give way to approaching faster cars.
We all know how frustrating it is to be behind a slow car in the left lane.
Well, on track, I experience the same problem.
I run into drivers who drive “fast” cars like z06, Camaro SS, and such who don’t like to give point-bys or let people pass. Sometimes I have to ride on other people’s bumper for more than 1 whole lap before they finally give in.
In that N-Ring video, so nice to see slow cars anticipating the fast cars coming. I didn’t see any “trains”.
Old 01-04-19, 04:29 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Sooooo true Mingo! When I was posted at the American Consulate in Munich, we used to rave about how courteous European drivers were on their highways (freeways for you West Coast folks) The Speed factor wore off after living there for a few months, but the left lane bandits were almost non existent. As long as your vehicle is kept "road worthy" and you had the skill to travel at speeds near 100mph, there were no issues in cross country travel. You definitely learn quick to stay the hell out of that fast lane - recall seeing drivers in Porsche's and Benz's 3 inches from a cars bumper doing 80mph in pouring rain or snowstorms! Oddly enough you rarely see accidents there too. When you did they were usually fatals though - love to know how many are due to inexperienced drivers!
Know what ya mean about those who seem to think theyre losing a MotoGP race while simply out on track days! Like their pride cant tolerate someone passing them. Its almost like they believe there are scouts watching them with binoculars in stands who are looking to sponsor the next Nicky Hayden or Dale Jr!
Old 01-05-19, 08:05 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Its probably a cultural thing. In germany, I have the impression that the drivers are very cautious of "what is coming from behind", and there is a real skill in this practice. Add to that, that it's also a thing learned in the racing culture. I remember that, as I was driving go-karts, we had this phylosophy of "not beeing in the way of the fast lappers". In general, you know where you stay on a track in terms of speed and knowledge.

After that, yes, there are difference in skills visible in this video, but whatever, I like it because of the RCF making what he can do the best. I would send it to Doug Demuro and other fired geezer of Top gear, just to show him that thing going in its natural environment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Benoit:
GunnyFitz (01-07-19), Mingofish (01-05-19)