RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Track edition??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 02:16 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
My weight reduction is already on course to the track edition. Also, funny how much this old computer generated rendition looks almost identical to the track edition:
Some of the weight reductions can be easily achieved (i.e Lighter Wheels, Lighter Brake setup, Titanium Exhaust & Carbon Fiber Hood). Heck you could even go a bit further by adding a Lightweight Lithium battery) but the other places where Lexus saved some weight may be kind of hard to achieve:
  • Carbon Fiber Roof
  • Pared down intake manifold
  • Smaller air conditioning compressor
  • Hollow half shafts (instead of solid shafts)
  • Aluminum toe control brackets & upper suspension support brackets
  • Stiffer bushings for the rear suspension arms & steering rack mounts.
Old 01-15-19, 02:19 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

My service manager that I use at my dealer said he’ll contact headquarters to see when the full body kit is available for purchase. Will let you guys know when/price once I find out. It’ll be a while I think though...
The following users liked this post:
sirdimarco (01-15-19)
Old 01-15-19, 02:32 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Looking back at the MotorTrend test where Randy did the laps in the M4 and RCF the cars were almost the same on the track. IMO the RCF already has impressive performance. One thing I took from those early tests is many of the testers did not like the "feel" of the car. They were even surprised the car came so close to the M4 in that MotorTrend video. I personally love the way the car feels because I drive mine all the time. It is an exceptional drivers car for the street and back roads. I can drive it all day and still walk. Not true of my last car, a 2016 WRX STI.

I am guessing a big part of this car was working to change how it feels on the track while of course picking up some performance. Hopefully the changes will get a more positive response from jaded car testers.

Personally I would love to get a RCF Track edition but I don't see it doing much more than my current RCF. Which already has more than enough performance for me. I love the looks of the track edition though!

Old 01-15-19, 02:33 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah, the one thing I am kicking myself for is not getting the performance package with TVD and CF roof. I have the CF hood, CF tail spoiler, lighter forged wheels, and titanium catback. Nets me ~100lbs weight reduction. Just have brakes and suspension to do along with power increase. Can always do other things to keep reducing: CF racing chairs, remove rear seats, remove air pump for flat tire, get lighter battery, etc. Wondering how much of the track edition’s exhaust is titanium and if it has high-flow cats...and how many cats. Also wondering about the size and weight of wheels.
Old 01-15-19, 03:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Yeah, the one thing I am kicking myself for is not getting the performance package with TVD and CF roof. I have the CF hood, CF tail spoiler, lighter forged wheels, and titanium catback. Nets me ~100lbs weight reduction. Just have brakes and suspension to do along with power increase. Can always do other things to keep reducing: CF racing chairs, remove rear seats, remove air pump for flat tire, get lighter battery, etc. Wondering how much of the track edition’s exhaust is titanium and if it has high-flow cats...and how many cats. Also wondering about the size and weight of wheels.

TVD is so worth it. I think Lexus has now made TVD/Carbon the base model and LSD is no longer available (from pictures, it seems). Not from a lap time perspective, but from a driving fun perspective. My favorite mode is 'slalom' mode, which makes the on-center steering response very sharp and crisp on city roads that the front end will zip across in transitions. It makes it very linear and smooth turning response.

'Track' mode as I later discovered, is only good at high speed turns where it will rotate the rear, but 'track' mode does really funny things when you try to use at city traffic speeds such as, it will try to spin the inside wheel when you take a slow turn and suddenly accelerate from 1st gear almost as it is confused about what you are trying to do. But, it works well at high speed turns.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-15-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 04:10 PM
jlpaul65
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering about the TVD on the Track Edition, I didnt see the Slalon/Track buttons on the center console?
Old 01-15-19, 04:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlpaul65
I was wondering about the TVD on the Track Edition, I didnt see the Slalon/Track buttons on the center console?
Definitely it is there. Button might have been moved to the steering probably.
jlpaul65 (01-15-19)
Old 01-15-19, 04:27 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Track edition...but who's here take their cars to the track? i mean, most of the drivers here like to race on the straight line...is it even worth it? kinda like saying..more show, no go...
Old 01-15-19, 06:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-15-19, 09:35 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

The limited color of 2 matte paints is a bummer for options.
Old 01-15-19, 10:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
TVD is so worth it. I think Lexus has now made TVD/Carbon the base model and LSD is no longer available (from pictures, it seems). Not from a lap time perspective, but from a driving fun perspective. My favorite mode is 'slalom' mode, which makes the on-center steering response very sharp and crisp on city roads that the front end will zip across in transitions. It makes it very linear and smooth turning response.

'Track' mode as I later discovered, is only good at high speed turns where it will rotate the rear, but 'track' mode does really funny things when you try to use at city traffic speeds such as, it will try to spin the inside wheel when you take a slow turn and suddenly accelerate from 1st gear almost as it is confused about what you are trying to do. But, it works well at high speed turns.
Call me a dinosaur, but I've played with this extensively in the GS F and I like the OS Giken spool in my IS F better. A lot better.
Old 01-16-19, 06:20 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Call me a dinosaur, but I've played with this extensively in the GS F and I like the OS Giken spool in my IS F better. A lot better.
RCF and GSF are different size-wise. GSF wheelbase is a lot longer with an overall length of 193 inches vs 185 lbs so possibly your much smaller 184 inches ISF will dynamically feel different even with TVD on your much longer GSF. If you had TVD in your ISF, probably you would have liked it a lot.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-16-19 at 07:17 AM.
LRCSALES (01-16-19)
Old 01-16-19, 07:21 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

I saw a motor tendt video . It sounds like axel back .
Old 01-16-19, 01:53 PM
SkyPara82
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Yup, I watched that head to head too back in the day. Fast forward to 2017 when I was on the prowl for a sport luxury vehicle. I had the M4 straight line performance metrics vs RC F stuck in my head. Not to mention that its usually a good bet to go with the car that every other car in that segment is trying to knock off the hill to capture the flag. Found myself at a BMW dealer test driving the M4 with Competition Package. Yep, the dual clutch tranny shifted fast. Yep, solid acceleration with torque coming in early from the turbos. Yep, car felt light and responsive. But something intangible was missing. Was it the background bass note of a V8 I'd become so accustomed to? (Coming out of a 600+ hp NA, highly modified 2013 C6 Grand Sport). We did two high speed runs then pulled over to listen to revs from the outside to check out the exhaust note. Underwhelmed. The old M3 naturally-aspirated V8 coupe it replaced sounded far better. Sales guy was stunned when I handed the key back and said "no thanks." The AMG C63 S was next. German muscle car! Loved it, but was a bit concerned with reliability issues (Consumer Reports) as well as pushing up against $95K optioned the way we wanted. Loved the RC F from the second those deeply bolstered seats wrapped around me. Driver-centric cockpit. Familiar V8 rumble, carbon package with TVD and every other option available. Still came in at only $81K, leaving extra $ to burn on exhaust, CF diffuser, wheels, intake, black chrome trim (OEM for JDM only), Xpel wrap, etc etc. Good car, good performance. At this point I don't really care what it gets compared to or how it compared to it around a track. If that was the end all, be all I would've kept the vette.
finny76 (01-16-19)
Old 01-16-19, 03:40 PM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

The more I look at the track edition the more bad *** it looks. Love it on both colors.
finny76 (01-16-19)

Quick Reply: RC F Track edition??