Notices
RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Brakes Question

Old 11-05-18, 08:54 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Default RCF Brakes Question

Hey Guys,

Wanted to swap my OEM with an aftermarket pads, but wanted to know if I am required to change the sensor along with the pads? what are the sensors for any ways? never had a car with such setup till now

Thanks
Nuke
Old 11-05-18, 09:58 PM
LXSDO
Lead Lap

Should be able to use them. The sensors help indicate when pads need to be replace. When you get down to a threshold, the sensor breaks and the brake light comes on. It's either on or off. Doesn't give any info in between.
Old 11-06-18, 09:09 AM
GunnyFitz
Lead Lap

SEARCH - is your friend on this topic. Many Threads involve same question. Including my own too!
Old 11-06-18, 10:21 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz View Post
SEARCH - is your friend on this topic. Many Threads involve same question. Including my own too!
thanks for the advice....I wonder why you didnít search before opening your thread in my defense i did a quick search and couldnít find what I need anyhow repetition teaches the smart
Old 11-07-18, 06:54 PM
Katrcf
Driver

The sensors don’t need to be replaced unless they trip (wear through) or you break them (be careful). Just take a good look at them and how they’re attached before you go tearing everything apart. They are very basic and once the clip is releasd will slip easily out of the og and into the replacement pads. A small flathead screwdriver is what I used, plastic may be better. Secure the sensor wire and you’re good to go.
BTW, we’ve been using Porterfield racing pads with good results. Street compound so far for autocross and street. Will probably run race compound for road courses and big tracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Katrcf For This Useful Post:
Nuke (11-07-18)
Old 11-07-18, 08:46 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Katrcf View Post
The sensors donít need to be replaced unless they trip (wear through) or you break them (be careful). Just take a good look at them and how theyíre attached before you go tearing everything apart. They are very basic and once the clip is releasd will slip easily out of the og and into the replacement pads. A small flathead screwdriver is what I used, plastic may be better. Secure the sensor wire and youíre good to go.
BTW, weíve been using Porterfield racing pads with good results. Street compound so far for autocross and street. Will probably run race compound for road courses and big tracks.
oh thanks bro for clarifying that, also would love to have a model number of the pads since you praise them....I was eyeing the endless honestly
Old 11-07-18, 10:15 PM
Mingofish
Lead Lap

Porterfields are good pads. Dusty though and slightly rough on the rotor, depending on which ones you get.
The endless MX is a great pad. Just pricy. They don’t dust a ton, and don’t squeak like most track pads. Plus they don’t need much heating up so good for daily use.
Old 11-08-18, 03:35 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mingofish View Post
Porterfields are good pads. Dusty though and slightly rough on the rotor, depending on which ones you get.
The endless MX is a great pad. Just pricy. They donít dust a ton, and donít squeak like most track pads. Plus they donít need much heating up so good for daily use.
hmm then will go for the MX, thanks bro
Old 11-08-18, 05:54 AM
Mingofish
Lead Lap

Yeah man. You’ll like the Mx.
Heard project Mu is a great pad too. Cheaper. I’ve never used so no real opinion.
Old 11-08-18, 07:00 AM
hwcustoms
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
hmm then will go for the MX, thanks bro
You will like the MX. Low to moderate dust and they don't feel harsh or make noise. Not the cheapest option by far, but I will buy them again when these run out.
Old 11-08-18, 07:54 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hwcustoms View Post
You will like the MX. Low to moderate dust and they don't feel harsh or make noise. Not the cheapest option by far, but I will buy them again when these run out.
i used it on my Evo X it was amazing and soft on the rotor....btw the MX i managed to find in a Jap site for 270$ for front pair.....not bad cheaper than oem
Old 11-08-18, 03:20 PM
harkirath
Driver

how much mileage did you guys get out of the OEM pads before replacing? asking for a friend...
Old 11-08-18, 06:19 PM
Katrcf
Driver

Porterfield numbers are ap1440 r4s front and ap1807 rear. 300:and 170 dollars respectively. Little dusty on road not as bad as oem.. very good at limit on autocross and small road courses. Will be using again when worn.
Old 11-08-18, 06:40 PM
e2dag
Rookie

Originally Posted by harkirath View Post
how much mileage did you guys get out of the OEM pads before replacing? asking for a friend...
I'm coming up on 30k miles and my front brakes are at 3mm. I need to replace them soon.
Old 11-08-18, 11:14 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e2dag View Post
I'm coming up on 30k miles and my front brakes are at 3mm. I need to replace them soon.
ya am about the same as well, though mine occasionally squeak

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: