RCF Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 07:54 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Default RCF Brakes Question

Hey Guys,

Wanted to swap my OEM with an aftermarket pads, but wanted to know if I am required to change the sensor along with the pads? what are the sensors for any ways? never had a car with such setup till now

Thanks
Nuke
Old 11-05-18, 08:58 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Should be able to use them. The sensors help indicate when pads need to be replace. When you get down to a threshold, the sensor breaks and the brake light comes on. It's either on or off. Doesn't give any info in between.
Old 11-06-18, 08:09 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

SEARCH - is your friend on this topic. Many Threads involve same question. Including my own too!
Old 11-06-18, 09:21 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
SEARCH - is your friend on this topic. Many Threads involve same question. Including my own too!
thanks for the advice....I wonder why you didn’t search before opening your thread in my defense i did a quick search and couldn’t find what I need anyhow repetition teaches the smart
Old 11-07-18, 05:54 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The sensors don’t need to be replaced unless they trip (wear through) or you break them (be careful). Just take a good look at them and how they’re attached before you go tearing everything apart. They are very basic and once the clip is releasd will slip easily out of the og and into the replacement pads. A small flathead screwdriver is what I used, plastic may be better. Secure the sensor wire and you’re good to go.
BTW, we’ve been using Porterfield racing pads with good results. Street compound so far for autocross and street. Will probably run race compound for road courses and big tracks.
The following users liked this post:
Nuke (11-07-18)
Old 11-07-18, 07:46 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Katrcf
The sensors don’t need to be replaced unless they trip (wear through) or you break them (be careful). Just take a good look at them and how they’re attached before you go tearing everything apart. They are very basic and once the clip is releasd will slip easily out of the og and into the replacement pads. A small flathead screwdriver is what I used, plastic may be better. Secure the sensor wire and you’re good to go.
BTW, we’ve been using Porterfield racing pads with good results. Street compound so far for autocross and street. Will probably run race compound for road courses and big tracks.
oh thanks bro for clarifying that, also would love to have a model number of the pads since you praise them....I was eyeing the endless honestly
Old 11-07-18, 09:15 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Porterfields are good pads. Dusty though and slightly rough on the rotor, depending on which ones you get.
The endless MX is a great pad. Just pricy. They don’t dust a ton, and don’t squeak like most track pads. Plus they don’t need much heating up so good for daily use.
Old 11-08-18, 02:35 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Porterfields are good pads. Dusty though and slightly rough on the rotor, depending on which ones you get.
The endless MX is a great pad. Just pricy. They don’t dust a ton, and don’t squeak like most track pads. Plus they don’t need much heating up so good for daily use.
hmm then will go for the MX, thanks bro
Old 11-08-18, 04:54 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeah man. You’ll like the Mx.
Heard project Mu is a great pad too. Cheaper. I’ve never used so no real opinion.
Old 11-08-18, 06:00 AM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke
hmm then will go for the MX, thanks bro
You will like the MX. Low to moderate dust and they don't feel harsh or make noise. Not the cheapest option by far, but I will buy them again when these run out.
Old 11-08-18, 06:54 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hwcustoms
You will like the MX. Low to moderate dust and they don't feel harsh or make noise. Not the cheapest option by far, but I will buy them again when these run out.
i used it on my Evo X it was amazing and soft on the rotor....btw the MX i managed to find in a Jap site for 270$ for front pair.....not bad cheaper than oem
Old 11-08-18, 02:20 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much mileage did you guys get out of the OEM pads before replacing? asking for a friend...
Old 11-08-18, 05:19 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Porterfield numbers are ap1440 r4s front and ap1807 rear. 300:and 170 dollars respectively. Little dusty on road not as bad as oem.. very good at limit on autocross and small road courses. Will be using again when worn.
Old 11-08-18, 05:40 PM
e2dag
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by harkirath
how much mileage did you guys get out of the OEM pads before replacing? asking for a friend...
I'm coming up on 30k miles and my front brakes are at 3mm. I need to replace them soon.
Old 11-08-18, 10:14 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e2dag
I'm coming up on 30k miles and my front brakes are at 3mm. I need to replace them soon.
ya am about the same as well, though mine occasionally squeak

Quick Reply: RCF Brakes Question