RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

What do you love and hate about your RC F?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 05:57 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default What do you love and hate about your RC F?

Hi folks!

For those of you who own (or have leased) an RC F, what are some of the things you love about the car.
Likewise, what are some things you dislike about it?

example:
Love:
-the styling of the interior
-I got a good lease deal

Dislike:
-the small rear legroom
-the touchscreen

You can write as many of each as you want.

Thank you!
Old 10-18-18, 06:16 PM
TRANC3
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Love:
- the rarity of the car in a sea of ///M's and AMG's
- the sound of the 5.0 (with exhaust of course)
- the interior is sublime
- the quality of it's finishes inside and out
- out of the box design language (yep, I'm a spindle grill advocate)

Dislike:
- the outdated and cumbersome infotainment system - trackpad takes some time to master
- the 8 speed takes some getting used to at low rpm to avoid lurches (it's amazing when WOT)
- the Lexus tax on aftermarket parts!
- lack of front facing parking sensors (yep, I know it has front corners - but I mean centred ones)
- would love to be able to adjust parts of the drive modes independently (i.e. gearbox in max aggressive, but throttle response normal)

But overall, it's one of my favourite cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRANC3:
Curated Content Editor (10-18-18), GunnyFitz (10-19-18)
Old 10-18-18, 09:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Love

- High-revving V8 a masterpiece. "Swelling" power delivery all the way to redline, beautiful noise. Hard to believe a big 5.0 Liter V8 with almost no inertia under load
- Muscular stance and wide back end give it the classic sports car look. Exterior looks make me feel like a Hollywood celebrity with the attention it gets.
- 8 speed transmission is incredible when in sport+/manual mode at high revs. Downshifts sound amazing. Shifts fast when full throttle in sport+/manual
- Interior, seats and overall cockpit like snug feel.
- TVD is awesome. Makes the car feel so much smaller in 'slalom' mode with very quick steering response especially off-centre/initial turn in. In 'track' mode, the car rotates the rear the harder the driver presses the throttle
- Chassis torsional rigidity and suspension tuning are spot on. Not overly harsh, but sublime on twisty roads despite the weight.
- Mark Levinson 17 speaker stereo system.
- Carbon fiber parts
- Rock solid durability.
- Brembo brakes

Dislike

- No automatic folding mirrors in NA-spec, rear turn signals are not LED for an $80+ K car.
- Stock 2 inch exhaust and the 90 degree turn before muffler is a travesty. Exhaust sound is muted. Needs a full exhaust to be fully appreciated.
- Slam into rev limiter too quickly in the 1st and 2nd gear.
- OEM spec MPSS tires are a disappointment in terms of feel. Great grip and do great at limit, but being non-XL rated tires, sidewall flex is very pronounced at slow speeds. Need to be replaced with XL rated tires (like, MPS4S).
- Infotainment is not that great, but I rarely use it so not a big deal.
- Feels like a big car in slow speed tight turns. Nervousness around curbs because of the wide back end.
- Steering does not telegraph lots of road feel (but, is very sharp and quick rack).
- Auto mode is useless in the 8 speed. I use only manual with sport+. Transmission feels a bit slow at low rpms cruising around the city even in sport+ mode.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-20-18 at 12:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 06:29 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

The engine, the engine, the engine...the V8 is like a race car motor. I can't keep my foot off the throttle because I just want to rev it out. It is intoxicating.
The build quality of the car is so good. The interior is perfect. The car is solid.
The reliability. I have driven mine pretty hard since I got it and it feels solid like new. It just starts takes a beating and then does it again. I have driven mine very hard when temperatures where in the hundreds and zero temperature rise.
The brakes. Very good stoppers.
The rarity.
The styling.
The safety.

Don't like,

The infotainment, Navigation. It is terrible. My Ford truck is better.
It should come from the factory with a better sounding exhaust, or a valved exhaust. The car is to quiet.
Not in love with the factory rim styling. The fact that they are high quality rims though has kept me from replacing them. I am a function before style kind of guy.

Overall it is hard for me to find much wrong with the car it fits my needs very well.
Old 10-19-18, 06:40 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Ditto From My Peers

Originally Posted by TRANC3
Love:
- the rarity of the car in a sea of ///M's and AMG's ..... (So true. Since I got mine all I see are Mustangs, Camaro's, Chargers n Beemers. Love being the only RCF at Local Car Meets. Its so odd that this car attracts so much attention)
- the sound of the 5.0 (with exhaust of course) ........Put the Armytrix Valvetronic System on mine which is definitely one of the best sounding Exhausts out there IMHO.
- the interior is sublime... First time seeing the RCF was a White w/ Red Interior that just didn't do it for me. Sought out the USB/Circuit Red which is a killer combo. I am still amazed at how incredibly comfortable this Interior is, especially on long drives!
- the quality of it's finishes inside and out
- out of the box design language (yep, I'm a spindle grill advocate) Have to admit, I am as well. What sucks is that it gets broken up by States that require a Front Plate. Need to get off my *** and mount the StoPlate thing I have in a box.

Dislike:
- the outdated and cumbersome infotainment system - trackpad takes some time to master Agreed- But once mastered its a breeze! I dialed it in perfectly w settings now!
- the 8 speed takes some getting used to at low rpm to avoid lurches (it's amazing when WOT)
- the Lexus tax on aftermarket parts!
- lack of front facing parking sensors (yep, I know it has front corners - but I mean centred ones) SO SO AGREE! This didn't even dawn on me until I saw you write it. Cant even tell you the amount of times I park front in and wait for the beeps. I play it safe and go by eye, not replying on the corners to pick up poles in the middle!
- would love to be able to adjust parts of the drive modes independently (i.e. gearbox in max aggressive, but throttle response normal)

But overall, it's one of my favourite cars.
Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Love

- High-revving V8 a masterpiece. "Swelling" power delivery all the way to redline, beautiful noise. Hard to believe a big 5.0 Liter V8 with almost no inertia under load
- Muscular stance and wide back end give it the classic sports car look. Exterior looks make me feel like a celebrity with the attention it gets.
- 8 speed transmission is incredible when in sport+/manual mode at high revs. Downshifts sound amazing. Shifts fast when full throttle in sport+/manual - Just learned how important driving it this was truly is. Took a 9 Hour Drive up to Martha's Vineyard last week and after feeling it Lugging around in Auto, I switched over to Manual Trans for the remainder of my time there. Once you get the Paddle Shifters down good - its absolutely night and day difference! (Eff a true Maunal Transmission though!)
- Interior, seats and overall cockpit like snug feel.- Ditto! They truly were built with the Human Spine weren't they?
- TVD is awesome. Makes the car feel so much smaller in 'slalom' mode with very quick steering response especially off-centre/initial turn in. In 'track' mode, the car rotates the rear the harder the driver presses the throttle
- Chassis torsional rigidity and suspension tuning are spot on. Not overly harsh, but sublime on twisty roads despite the weight.
- Mark Levinson 17 speaker stereo system.
- Carbon fiber parts
- Rock solid durability.
- Brembo brakes

Dislike

- No automatic folding mirrors in NA-spec, rear turn signals are not LED for an $80+ K car.- This was something I literally frowned upon when seeing this car for the first time. Believe it or not, this function is seriously helpful to a driver, and the fact they can put them on every other Lexus Model except the RCF is ridiculous! I have a thread saved somewhere of a guy in the RX350 Section who installed a set of Folding Mirrors that work perfect. Its almost too much trouble, but regardless I concur wholeheartedly with this missing feature!
- Stock 2 inch exhaust and the 90 degree turn before muffler is a travesty. Exhaust sound is muted. Needs a full exhaust to be fully appreciated.
- Slam into rev limiter too quickly in the 1st and 2nd gear.
- OEM spec MPSS tires are a disappointment in terms of feel. Great grip and do great at limit, but being non-XL rated tires, sidewall flex is very pronounced at slow speeds. Need to be replaced with XL rated tires (like, MPS4S).
- Infotainment is not that great, but I rarely use it so not a big deal.- As stated above, once you get setting the perfect way you want them - its a breeze. Drove a 2017 NSX yesterday which actually had a beautiful touch screen system. It was good to see they use "Garmin" as their Nav System which works 100 times better than a Lexus one!
- Feels like a big car in slow speed tight turns. Nervousness around curbs because of the wide back end.
- Steering does not telegraph lots of road feel (but, is very sharp and quick rack).
- Auto mode is useless in the 8 speed. I use only manual with sport+. Transmission feels a bit slow at low rpms cruising around the city even in sport+ mode.

Right now I have just about everything I want on my 2017. A future "Tune" would be nice to truly take advantage of the Armytrix System (Functional Intake too!)
You guys all hit the right Pro's and Con's which I would've written too. Hope ya don't mind me plagiarizing your posts? lmfao!
All in all its a phenomenal car that literally turns heads wherever you go. Yeah, its not a Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche but gets as many thumbs up from those I pass in them!
Old 10-19-18, 11:28 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. I stopped using auto after the first 2 months even for casual driving. I drive it like I drive my 6 speed manual. Complete control at all times. The best way I would put it, if you want anyone to dislike the car, just put it in auto mode and let the person have at it. Even in sport+ mode, the auto mode is dull, uninspiring and slips from gear to gear. Total polar opposite from the manual mode in sport+ where it is crisp, sharp and has a very mechanical feel especially at high rpm (due to the torque converter lock-up).

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz

Right now I have just about everything I want on my 2017. A future "Tune" would be nice to truly take advantage of the Armytrix System (Functional Intake too!)
You guys all hit the right Pro's and Con's which I would've written too. Hope ya don't mind me plagiarizing your posts? lmfao!
All in all its a phenomenal car that literally turns heads wherever you go. Yeah, its not a Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche but gets as many thumbs up from those I pass in them!
GunnyFitz (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 11:49 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

- Styling in side and out
-engine sound and power at wot
-braking power
-seats
-reliability
-gauge cluster customization

dislikes
-Weight of vehicle
-very very heavy doors
-touch controller is bad
-COOLED SEATS ARE TERRIBLE this is unacceptable they only work if the car was already cool to begin with or the actually make you hotter!
-Door panel needs more plush materials, way too much crappy black plastic
-not enough carbon fiber in the interior ( and supposedly Lexus has their own carbon fabric making abilities? disappointing
- make the TVD its own option, not everyone tracks the car (probably less than a 4th of the owners actually track the car BUT WE WANT THE CARBON ROOF!!!)
- non power folding mirrors
-trans mission does not let you hold back enough rpms to launch hard. Make launch control its very easy to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-car needs to lose 200lbs I know for a fact each front seat is 70lbs! im sure the driver doors are 80 to 90 per. do an door like the lc aluminum shell and carbon inner structure
Old 10-19-18, 01:53 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

One more dislike.

The turn signal is vague feeling. I am never sure it is on or off.
LRCSALES (10-22-18)
Old 10-20-18, 04:12 PM
myidsucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

- styling
- dealership experience
- brakes
- feel and fit of seats

Dislikes
- not enough low-end torque
- car is too heavy
- factory tires not grippy enough
- nav and infotainment needs to be updated, along with the touchpad
- ventilated seats don't work well at all
LRCSALES (10-22-18)
Old 10-21-18, 06:05 PM
2UR
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

-The aggressive, muscular stance the car has, the rearend is a masterpiece, it just looks aggressive.
-I love my seats, they’re very comfortable and look amazing.
-Digital display, with different readouts (though I wish we had a few different gauges for sport/sport+)
-Bits of alcantara and carbon fiber
-Active spoiler
-Minor details the car has, when it’s dark out right above the handle there’s a sleek line that illuminates.
-How heavy the steering feels in sport+
-Reliability.

Dislikes
To be fair, I’m nitpicking. I do love everything about my car

-Infotainment, I really wish we could update to the newer interface.
-Stock exhaust is really quiet
-Auto fold mirrors aren’t standard (in us at least)
-Only 2 customizable gauges for sport/sport+, would have loved to have access to the LC’s gauge face

The F really does have everything you could want in a sports car.

Last edited by 2UR; 10-21-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 08:38 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Same points as above for likes.

No dislikes. Some things could be better. But nothing that I dislike.
Old 10-21-18, 09:00 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

It's A Really NICE Car to me, I guess it Really Depends on What you're looking for it to do! Everybody has their own opinions, some people think it's too Heavy, some people think it's too slow thru the quarter, some people think the infotainment sucks, some people thinks it sucks because it can't run with the BMW M cars, some people think it's not loud enuff! Hey, it can't run with my Viper's either, but I didn't buy it for that! IT'S A LEXUS Guys! SMDH
Apone (10-22-18)
Old 10-21-18, 09:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
It's A Really NICE Car to me, I guess it Really Depends on What you're looking for it to do! Everybody has their own opinions, some people think it's too Heavy, some people think it's too slow thru the quarter, some people think the infotainment sucks, some people thinks it sucks because it can't run with the BMW M cars, some people think it's not loud enuff! Hey, it can't run with my Viper's either, but I didn't buy it for that! IT'S A LEXUS Guys! SMDH
Not entirely true for early 2000 ones. RCF does well from a roll in the right gear

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-21-18 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 01:32 AM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The seats are great

Dislikes:
It's slow. Ok, it's fast if you want to go more than 100mph. It's slow under 90 and will be matched inch for inch by a ten year old ES350 from 30-80.
The headlights are so-so
It's hard on rubber
It's perpetually doing stupid things with stupid software bugs
If I push the gas to the floor, that means I want the throttle to open and the car to go. Not "Oh are you sure about that? Very sure? Last chance! GOOOOOO" (good way to get run over merging)
The windshields are far too fragile
Infotainment system is a dumpster fire and randomly reboots (Lexus says this is normal/acceptable)
This list could be pretty long
Pre-collision system has this fear of road signs in corners. It actually has a fear of low road signs period.
LRCSALES (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 04:16 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazin
If I push the gas to the floor, that means I want the throttle to open and the car to go. Not "Oh are you sure about that? Very sure? Last chance! GOOOOOO"
LMAO!!! This is true.

Sorry to hear about the bugs, I haven't really experienced anything unusual and the info system doesn't randomly restart for me. I daily mine and maybe reboots once or twice in a year.

Quick Reply: What do you love and hate about your RC F?