RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Please give me opinion RCF or Civic type R

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 09:40 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'd get bored of it if I had to commute in that car daily. Novelty wears off when you hit traffic and the sun beams down hard on you. That's where a car like the Lexus (any really) shines. Comfortable and quiet when you need it!
Though, I realize you said 'when you need it', one would be hard pressed to justify the big premium over an IS350 staying in that particular environment. It is actually quite an "ordinary/dull" experience to drive the RCF in traffic when the rpms are almost always below 3500 rpm especially in auto with normal or eco selected. You can only use a fraction of the powerband. Suspension is stiff over city roads with joints and cracks (38R/36F). Rear axle is too wide to carelessly maneuver on small and tight roads etc. The only nice thing about it in city traffic is the attention it gets and the awesome seats.

I have more fun in modified suspension/chassis 6 speed manual 2650 lbs Corolla XRS in city driving with 190 HP with mechanical cable throttle and hydraulic steering. Heel-toe and rev-match downshifts are fun in a torqueless, 8400 rpm revving car in traffic as you can most of its power quite frequently. I daily drive this thing.

Where RCF really makes me realize all of that money's worth, is open road with wide sweeping turns. Manual/sport+ mode/TVD in track or slalom mode all checked. With sweeping and momentum/flow turns where you can downshift while braking to the lowest gear approaching the turn and then go full power mid-corner with the V8 howling as the tach is nearly touching 7500 rpm and feeling the rear end rotating the car as it is exiting the corner etc. It is sensory overload as you can feel the extreme G load, howling engine and the car's serious propulsion forward all at the same time. Those moments are far few and between, but it always makes it even more special as it makes me realize I am lucky to own it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-21-18 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 10:12 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Though, I realize you said 'when you need it', one would be hard pressed to justify the big premium over an IS350 staying in that particular environment. It is actually quite an "ordinary/dull" experience to drive the RCF in traffic when the rpms are almost always below 3500 rpm especially in auto with normal or eco selected. You can only use a fraction of the powerband. Suspension is stiff over city roads with joints and cracks (38R/36F). Rear axle is too wide to carelessly maneuver on small and tight roads etc. The only nice thing about it in city traffic is the attention it gets and the awesome seats.

I have more fun in modified suspension/chassis 6 speed manual 2650 lbs Corolla XRS in city driving with 190 HP with mechanical cable throttle and hydraulic steering. Heel-toe and rev-match downshifts are fun in a torqueless, 8400 rpm revving car in traffic as you can most of its power quite frequently. I daily drive this thing.

Where RCF really makes me realize all of that money's worth, is open road with wide sweeping turns. Manual/sport+ mode/TVD in track or slalom mode all checked. With sweeping and momentum/flow turns where you can downshift while braking to the lowest gear approaching the turn and then go full power mid-corner with the V8 howling as the tach is nearly touching 7500 rpm and feeling the rear end rotating the car as it is exiting the corner etc. It is sensory overload as you can feel the extreme G load, howling engine and the car's serious propulsion forward all at the same time. Those moments are far few and between, but it always makes it even more special as it makes me realize I am lucky to own it.
Ok - we do agree. I don't have a single retort to this post. The small car experience is very different. The best day I've had recently in the F was a 2hr + ride to New York (not into the city). Wide open freeway, playing with other cars on the way where there is lots of room to run. The tighter the roads, the more of a chore it becomes. Also agree on the seats, me and the wife were fresh as a daisy on both ends of the trip. Sound system also great in this regard. It's a hell of a way to eat up big miles....a GT....grand touring. Trying to make it a small track race car is not fruitful.
Old 09-21-18, 11:24 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Apone
Ok - we do agree. I don't have a single retort to this post. The small car experience is very different. The best day I've had recently in the F was a 2hr + ride to New York (not into the city). Wide open freeway, playing with other cars on the way where there is lots of room to run. The tighter the roads, the more of a chore it becomes. Also agree on the seats, me and the wife were fresh as a daisy on both ends of the trip. Sound system also great in this regard. It's a hell of a way to eat up big miles....a GT....grand touring. Trying to make it a small track race car is not fruitful.
Agreed. It also gets better with mods. I cannot wait to put a full catback exhaust. Really want the exhaust to open up ( 20 whp gain is a bonus)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-21-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 11:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Yep! That's exactly how I feel and why I refuse to limit myself to one car only.
Old 09-21-18, 06:55 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Agreed. It also gets better with mods. I cannot wait to put a full catback exhaust. Really want the exhaust to open up ( 20 whp gain is a bonus)
I have the Borla full catback and would like to sell it for an Invidia or maybe just headers if I keep the car. The Borla is fun at the top end but it's loud in general in my opinion. Draws a lot of attention.
Old 09-21-18, 09:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I have the Borla full catback and would like to sell it for an Invidia or maybe just headers if I keep the car. The Borla is fun at the top end but it's loud in general in my opinion. Draws a lot of attention.
I have studied the sound quality of various exhausts for the RCF for many months. I ruled out Borla because of the round small tips and "muscle car" like sound. I like to think RCF should not sound like a muscle car V8, but more of a European-ish high strung V8. From what I can see, Invidia seems to match my ideal sound quality very well. but it is quieter than Borla. It actually has bigger mid-piping than Borla (2.7 inch vs 2.5 inch). It looks great with OEM like oval tips and the titanium burnt blue option. Only down side is, it is quieter than Borla, but it is because of a quieter resonator. Easy solution to make it louder, is to remove the resonator.

I really like the Armytrix as well, but it is way more than I am willing to spend on an exhaust so Invidia would be my choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Apone (09-22-18), GunnyFitz (09-24-18)
Old 09-22-18, 01:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, you are absolutely RIGHT!!!

The following users liked this post:
Apone (09-22-18)
Old 09-22-18, 01:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Exactly why I got the RCF as well.

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'd get bored of it if I had to commute in that car daily. Novelty wears off when you hit traffic and the sun beams down hard on you. That's where a car like the Lexus (any really) shines. Comfortable and quiet when you need it!
Old 09-24-18, 06:27 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the responses! I were once heartly wanted the RCF but after I drove the LC and sat in it my liking for the RCF is faded. Im happy to see some owner here own both. Ofcourse RCF is different level . The main reason were my big brother he is a Acura fan and he talked me into the type R. Type R is very fun to drive and it is a manual. I still refer high rev and the V8 sounds. I will hold up and wait for RCF or LC used. Some needs to drive the Type R before bashing it. Maybe lucky I might own both.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 06:34 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
Thanks everyone for all the responses! I were once heartly wanted the RCF but after I drove the LC and sat in it my liking for the RCF is faded. Im happy to see some owner here own both. Ofcourse RCF is different level . The main reason were my big brother he is a Acura fan and he talked me into the type R. Type R is very fun to drive and it is a manual. I still refer high rev and the V8 sounds. I will hold up and wait for RCF or LC used. Some needs to drive the Type R before bashing it. Maybe lucky I might own both.

Well share some pictures of your new car! Congratulations!