ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RC F (2015-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f-2015-present-259/)
-   -   LEXUS RCF strange noise *VIDEO* (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f-2015-present/894111-lexus-rcf-strange-noise-video.html)

Ryandthach 07-13-18 08:45 PM

LEXUS RCF strange noise *VIDEO*

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a Lexus RCF about 2 months ago, the car runs great. The last couple of days there has been a strange noise like a (whomp, whomp, whomp, whomp) coming from beneath the car around the middle section. Once the car is shut off the noise continues for about 2 seconds. I have recorded a video and will post below, please let me know if anyone knows what this noise is.

05RollaXRS 07-13-18 08:56 PM

Unless I am missing something, sounds normal. Mine does the same. The chugging noise is something I have noticed very closely since I got it 10 months ago.

Ryandthach 07-13-18 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS (Post 10250605)
Unless I am missing something, sounds normal. Mine does the same. The chugging noise is something I have noticed very closely since I got it 10 months ago.

Hey thanks for replying, its not the chugging noise its like a weird electronic motor noise. Try to turn on video all the way up its kinda hard to hear. I will try to provide a better video tomorrow when it does it again. I know it is not normal since it does not happen all the time and continues even when the car shuts off for couple seconds.

05RollaXRS 07-13-18 09:53 PM

It could be your fuel pump. Did you get the fuel pump checked?

Erkkkn808 07-13-18 11:48 PM

Nooo not normal. Probably your fuel pump. Got a recall on the front end fuel pump but what you are experiencing is the noise from the rear fuel pump if im not mistaken. Bring it in to a Lexus dealership and have them do a ecu reflash. Have them do the recall and the reflash. The ecu reflash should take care of that noise.

brendanf 07-14-18 06:33 AM

I cant hear anything other then normal sounds, BUT, it could be the vacuum test that the cars do run.. I don't know if it can happen while the engine is running, but about 5hrs after turning your car off, it does run a pump to check the evap system for the fuel system... Maybe thats what your hearing?

rjmalm 07-14-18 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ryandthach (Post 10250602)
I just bought a Lexus RCF about 2 months ago, the car runs great. The last couple of days there has been a strange noise like a (whomp, whomp, whomp, whomp) coming from beneath the car around the middle section. Once the car is shut off the noise continues for about 2 seconds. I have recorded a video and will post below, please let me know if anyone knows what this noise is.

Sounds like my rear low pressure fuel pump before the ECM fix. TSB L-SF-0031-16 dated July 5, 2016. The noise would get louder after I drove it for several hours
and also changed with the amount of fuel in the tank.

Ryandthach 07-14-18 08:03 AM

Hi guys just wanted to let you know i got the fuel pump recall done a couple of weeks ago. I will drive the car today and see if record the noise on video again.

Ryandthach 07-14-18 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by rjmalm (Post 10250803)
Sounds like my rear low pressure fuel pump before the ECM fix. TSB L-SF-0031-16 dated July 5, 2016. The noise would get louder after I drove it for several hours
and also changed with the amount of fuel in the tank.

Was this covered under warranty?

Ryandthach 07-14-18 10:03 AM

At the dealer ship now, will let you guys know the outcome.

Ryandthach 07-14-18 10:32 AM

Of course the car did not make the noise when the tech took a look at the car. I have shown them the video and the lead tech was shocked and did not know what it was. They are going to reflash the fuel pump ECU to see if the problem will go away. Will keep you guys updated.

2UR 07-14-18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ryandthach (Post 10250842)
Hi guys just wanted to let you know i got the fuel pump recall done a couple of weeks ago. I will drive the car today and see if record the noise on video again.

Hey, just wondering how long the fuel pump recall took Lexus to do, did you have to leave your car or was it something you were able to wait at the dealership for? Would really love if I could get my car back same day.

Ryandthach 07-14-18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2UR (Post 10251132)

Hey, just wondering how long the fuel pump recall took Lexus to do, did you have to leave your car or was it something you were able to wait at the dealership for? Would really love if I could get my car back same day.

It would be possible if you dropped it off early in the morning. Mine took a day and a half

JBooGieRCF 07-17-18 02:45 PM

ok I just purchased my RCF about a month ago, and before I purchased it I had them do the fuel pump recall. And about two weeks ago mine started doing this. I took mine into my local dealer for the same thing...as I mentioned the fuel pumped was changed about a month ago. After they looked at it, they said the ECU needed to be reprogrammed. They never said which one, but I got it back and no more noise. I can't tell you if it fuel pump related but it was fixed, mine is still under warranty so I did not have to come out of pocket for anything.

tuscani66 07-18-18 05:20 PM

Same as the rest; had the noise and the dealer instantly knew to reset the ECU after they confirmed the pump was swapped per recall. Nothing since, been about 6 weeks so far.