RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Doug Demuro: Here’s Why the Lexus RC-F Has Been a Total Flop

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 08:20 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I don’t care about the engineer philosophy. I want your car to outperform your rival. I’m superficial so at least look better than your rival.
It does not work that way at all, philosophically.. A Porsche GT3 RS costs twice as much as a ZR1, yet the ZR1 will run a quicker lap than a GT3 RS or the 488 GTB. A NISMO GTR certainly does not have issues running neck and neck with the AMG GTR. There are lots of examples. None of that matters when it comes to people enjoying driving the GT3 RS or 488 GTB. They certainly, don't stay awake thinking they got ripped off for not being able to outperform cheaper cars.

An M4 can be outgunned around the race track by a much cheaper Camaro SS 1LE. Do I regret I spent $65K CAD on a mildly used RCF that does not outperform an M4 or C63S for similar/cheaper price? Absolutely ZERO regrets. I could not be happier with this car and how it feels. There is a member on this board who went from RCF (totaled) to M4 Competition and now wishes he could go back to the RCF.

When the LFA came out, it was criticized for not being able to outperform a 458 Italia. Yet, today LFAs have gained a huge following and legendary status due to the intangibles and not the 7:14 lap time. In short, the fact that a car is slower than another by a few tenths, is never the most critical part of development/engineering of a car. I had written before how RCF's MPSS tires are the softer version for better drivability than the OEM version for the M4/M3. If Lexus was so determined to run better lap times, they would have offered the Corsa/Cup 2 tires at least as an option.

The fact that RCF performs better around the track than virtually all previous generation luxury/entry level sports cars like E90 M3, C63 AMG, 370Z, RS5, E60 M5 etc. or even being on par with supercars from 12 - 15 years ago such as, F430 or the original Gallardo, is a testament of its capabilities. There is a video of RCF hanging even with a V10 Viper from 2003. When someone says a "luxury cruiser", I have been in luxury cruisers like the 535 or SLK55 or CLK500 etc., I see it as a slap in the face of the engineers who developed the RCF on Fuji or Nurburgring since it is marginalizing RCF's ability to turn and go around turns as quick as it is capable of going.

The people who mostly care about quoting lap times as a conclusion of which car is better, like to argue over the internet. Not real life buyers.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-13-18 at 09:24 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
BossMoss (07-16-18), GunnyFitz (07-13-18), Katrcf (07-15-18), SoSlow (07-14-18)
Old 07-13-18, 08:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

chasing the numbers and paper racing all day will just leave you disappointed. There is always somethign better. I stopped caring about that a long ago and cars are even more fun now. One of the magazine best drivers cars a $40k camaro SS smacked the M4 CS that costs $120k
Old 07-13-18, 09:25 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I can even see the problem here, in this group. Lots are commenting "yes but the RCF isn't as fast as this... and that car is faster than that, ect..."
-> In my eyes, this approach brings only disappointment and sadness.
The right question is : Is this car fun to drive ? I know the answer, and lots of you does too.
Old 07-13-18, 09:32 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

I can't stand that Lexus created this frankenstein RC, having put so much r&d for the IS, making a coupe version would've been ideal. Then could've had ISF coupe or sedan and even a convertible too.
maybe if Lexus makes a hardcore version, you guys every watch our boy in GT3? I mean go to the races, I'm there at Rolex and RCGT3 is amazing and I wish Lexus made a street legal version to commemorate our boys.
Nothing sounds better than RCGT3 too.

Old 07-13-18, 09:52 AM
Roche
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just watched Doug's review of the LC500. I have to say he is very inconsistent. He loves the LC for the same reasons he dislikes the RCF. As other people have said, it's so subjective when it comes to an emotional purchase like this. If you like it and enjoy driving it then it's worth it to you.
Old 07-13-18, 09:55 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Great write up…The problem is that Lexus is chasing the M4 not the opposite way around. Why build a car that’s not going to outperform the M4 in every way. People should stop making excuses for Lexus. Lexus makes some of the most reliable cars in the world but always come up short on performances.
I don’t care about the engineer philosophy. I want your car to outperform your rival. I’m superficial so at least look better than your rival.
This is the point I was trying to make. Its not that the RF C is a bad car, it's that it could be so much better if it merely took the time and money to lose a couple hundred pounds and added some torque.
Old 07-13-18, 10:04 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
I can't stand that Lexus created this frankenstein RC, having put so much r&d for the IS, making a coupe version would've been ideal. Then could've had ISF coupe or sedan and even a convertible too.
maybe if Lexus makes a hardcore version, you guys every watch our boy in GT3? I mean go to the races, I'm there at Rolex and RCGT3 is amazing and I wish Lexus made a street legal version to commemorate our boys.
Nothing sounds better than RCGT3 too.

http://youtu.be/wRFYRuASPoc
The existing IS chassis could not cut it for the RCF. As I explained above, it was not wide enough to give the track width it needed and did not have the rigidity Yaguchi was looking for. Only options were to build a brand new chassis from scratch (expensive) or take a few existing chassis parts and make one out of it. That is why, the chassis is composed of GS front (width), ISC middle (chassis rigidity) and IS rear end.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Boomin (07-13-18), GunnyFitz (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 10:08 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Lexus is a higher end brand of Toyota. If the Toyota corporation wants to compete with cars faster,or better handling on the track than the RCF, they probably should make a high performance version of the Supra, which could be light in weight, and better handling, since it would not have all the weight requirements for a high end car like a Lexus.

People should stop crying that the RCF is not faster, or better performing. It's a high end car that can go fast when needed, with a nice V8 engine that has decent mpg, and still have the nice quiet Lexus type feel expected of it
If Toyota made the RCF to compare to the M4, then they screwed up. If they made it as a high end car, but with decent performance, I think they did a great job, and this is why I bought one!

Maybe I would not pay $75,000, or more, for a new one, but for a little over $45,000 for a low miles certified used one, it's a great deal!
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 10:58 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus RC F Chief Engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi describes the process of developing the RC F's driving characteristics. The RC F was engineered for ultimate driving enjoyment, rather than just speed:

If I just care about quarter mile and track time, I get a Camaro ZL1 instead of BMW Mx. There are so many BMWs, MBs, AUDIs in my area, I love the uniqueness and reliability of my RCF.
The following 4 users liked this post by gs400998:
05RollaXRS (07-13-18), Boomin (07-13-18), BossMoss (07-16-18), GunnyFitz (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 11:11 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

One of the reasons I purchased an RCF was that it is a Toyota. I spent 25 plus years in the car business. I was part owner of a small dealership and later worked for a large dealership as a finance manager and sales manager. After seeing, driving and appraising cars for years I believe Toyota builds the best cars. They last the longest, they are cheap to run and are the most reliable. I plan to beat on my RCF for years to come.

My other main car is a Ford truck only because when I went to buy a new Tundra TRD Pro the dealers in my area were straight up rude to me and wanted 10K over sticker. I might have been willing to pay too much but at least be nice. So Toyota lost a sale to Ford, which the dealer was nice and I got 15K off sticker. Other wise I would own a Tundra.

My last Truck was a Tacoma TRD Off Road that I still own, 150k Miles runs like new, my daughter is driving it now.

I am very big fan of Toyota based on experience. It is to bad Toyota could not sell me a truck.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAHWY128:
BossMoss (07-16-18), GunnyFitz (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 11:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the more the V8 disappears, the more people will appreciate this car. When was the last time a Japanese company made a performance 5.0 V8?
The following 2 users liked this post by 4TehNguyen:
BossMoss (07-16-18), GunnyFitz (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 11:28 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Exclamation Wtf over?

This is friggin comical.
Personally, I don't give a flying F*** what ANY reviewer says!
I bought this car because I like 99% of what it provides me, and do not dwell on what it "could be" if Lexus R&D spent more time and money on this or that! Maybe one day the Department Head for Lexus will join this Forum to see what RCF Owners really think about the car? (NOT!)

Everyone is entitled to their Opinion, we all know that stupid joke right?

If you love your Mustang, Corvette, BMW, Camaro - then good on you!
If you hate the RCF for whatever reason, there is absolutely no need to rank on those who love it! You made the choice NOT to buy one, why join a Lexus RCF Forum to stoke fires? The thought of joining ANY other Forum to tell its Members I think their Interior is just plastic, their exhaust sounds like a hamster under the hood, or the damn badging is off center is just plain ridiculous. I would personally never consider doing such a thing. But that's just me, the "Middle Age Adult Male" who chose to purchase the Lexus RCF instead of whatever it is you chose to park in your garage!
Back to your corner and Forum!

So meanwhile, I'll continue to laugh at these trash reviews, eat some popcorn as I continue to laugh at this foolish banter, and then take a nice ride in my pristine RCF with all its luxurious features, and awesome growl from my new Armytrix Exhaust. All the while, getting stares and thumbs up from other drivers along the way!
(Dare I say what they're driving too!)

Gunny Out.........
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (07-16-18)
Old 07-13-18, 12:06 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the more the V8 disappears, the more people will appreciate this car. When was the last time a Japanese company made a performance 5.0 V8?
2008?

sorry i had to....
Old 07-13-18, 12:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cvt
2008?

sorry i had to....
same company, same but updated engine. First and the last one from the way things are going.
Old 07-13-18, 08:19 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So true.

Here is what I think about the RCF.

I kept my SLK55 AMG for about 2.5 years after I got the RCF. But the truth is that I did not drive the SLK55 AMG much at all after I got the RCF. The SLK55 AMG just sat there and I have to "MAKE MYSELF" crank it up and take it out for a spin every two weeks or so around the block enough to get all fluids up to operating temperature.

So about two weeks ago I decide to trade the SLK55 AMG in for a GLA250 4Matic (for my teenage son. I originally was just gonna to give him the SLK55 AMG to drive around, but decided it will not be a good idea. So instead I got something very boring like the GLA250 4Matic. Was thinking about the Subaru Forrester, but it will be way too boring.).

Anyway, I don't miss the SLK55 AMG at all. I like the RCF way better FOR NOW. As far as reliability is concerned, I did not have any issues with the SLK55 AMG all these years......just do the routine maintenance. The two cars just drove differently and I prefer the RCF.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It does not work that way at all, philosophically.. A Porsche GT3 RS costs twice as much as a ZR1, yet the ZR1 will run a quicker lap than a GT3 RS or the 488 GTB. A NISMO GTR certainly does not have issues running neck and neck with the AMG GTR. There are lots of examples. None of that matters when it comes to people enjoying driving the GT3 RS or 488 GTB. They certainly, don't stay awake thinking they got ripped off for not being able to outperform cheaper cars.

An M4 can be outgunned around the race track by a much cheaper Camaro SS 1LE. Do I regret I spent $65K CAD on a mildly used RCF that does not outperform an M4 or C63S for similar/cheaper price? Absolutely ZERO regrets. I could not be happier with this car and how it feels. There is a member on this board who went from RCF (totaled) to M4 Competition and now wishes he could go back to the RCF.

When the LFA came out, it was criticized for not being able to outperform a 458 Italia. Yet, today LFAs have gained a huge following and legendary status due to the intangibles and not the 7:14 lap time. In short, the fact that a car is slower than another by a few tenths, is never the most critical part of development/engineering of a car. I had written before how RCF's MPSS tires are the softer version for better drivability than the OEM version for the M4/M3. If Lexus was so determined to run better lap times, they would have offered the Corsa/Cup 2 tires at least as an option.

The fact that RCF performs better around the track than virtually all previous generation luxury/entry level sports cars like E90 M3, C63 AMG, 370Z, RS5, E60 M5 etc. or even being on par with supercars from 12 - 15 years ago such as, F430 or the original Gallardo, is a testament of its capabilities. There is a video of RCF hanging even with a V10 Viper from 2003. When someone says a "luxury cruiser", I have been in luxury cruisers like the 535 or SLK55 or CLK500 etc., I see it as a slap in the face of the engineers who developed the RCF on Fuji or Nurburgring since it is marginalizing RCF's ability to turn and go around turns as quick as it is capable of going.

The people who mostly care about quoting lap times as a conclusion of which car is better, like to argue over the internet. Not real life buyers.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-13-18 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Doug Demuro: Here’s Why the Lexus RC-F Has Been a Total Flop