RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Found the right one.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 05:53 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Congrats on the awesome car. I'm partial to that, since I have the same one. I've also added the CF hood vent, as well as CF mirror covers and CF shark fin cover, and a CF steering wheel. The CF looks so damn good on infrared. If I had an extra $20k or so, I would add some CF rims...
Your car is looking great. I like the wheels. Considering them in brushed titanium. Just not sure what wheel I'm going with yet.

Did you get the carbon hood vent from carbonfiber500?

I added the steering wheel trim piece yesterday. Nice simple touch, looks stock.

Is the fin cover worth getting? Does it match the roof? Where did you get it?
Old 07-12-18, 08:56 AM
RAMAIR47
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Be careful with that carbon fiber fin cover, I installed it a while back and lost some XM reception in hilly and large tree areas.
Old 07-12-18, 10:21 AM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Agree with CF fin cover, CF deflect/absorbs RF signals so your radio/satellite signal will be a bit weaker. Personally my fin CF has not affected much but then again I stream majority so I can't do a real comparison to loss of before/after install.

I had the CF FOB on both my remotes but it affects 1 remote more than other so I had to remove it - no rhyme or reason just maybe the weave at 1 point is tighter where the signal starts to emit?
Old 07-13-18, 12:06 AM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Your car is looking great. I like the wheels. Considering them in brushed titanium. Just not sure what wheel I'm going with yet.

Did you get the carbon hood vent from carbonfiber500?

I added the steering wheel trim piece yesterday. Nice simple touch, looks stock.

Is the fin cover worth getting? Does it match the roof? Where did you get it?
I'm out of town at the moment and I don't recall off the top of my head where I got the shark fin cover and hood vent. I got the hood vent from one of the vendors on here, but carbonfiber500 does not sound familiar to me. The shark fin cover matches the roof beautifully. I have not had any XM reception issues with it on the car for about a year now.
Old 07-13-18, 05:04 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Vent Wrap

Originally Posted by ba2sy
It's a 3D carbon fiber wrap. I am still looking for a good affordable CF hood vent.
Would you mind posting the link to where you obtained the CF Wrap please?

I'm about to go in for a whole PPF/Ceramic Coat job and would like that piece done before they start. Paying over $500 for a replacement Vent is just too much. I know I can't compare the two, but I smothered my last Ducati in Carbon Fiber and even the largest pieces were 10x less expensive than what Car Carbon goes for. If Fake Carbon Wrap looks that good, I'll take it anyday.
Old 08-06-18, 05:36 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I think your paint issue should be covered.

When I first got my NEW TO ME RCF with some 2xxx miles on the odo, there were some pealing of the black paint on the bumper behind the front grill. The Lexus dealership where I was (not the Lexus dealership who sold me the car) took some pictures and sent to Lexus HQ and got approved for the repair. It took about two weeks for the approval and another week for the actual repair. So I let them take pictures first and then I continued to drive my car until they got back with me on the approval and then I dropped off my RCF with them and picked up a Lexus loaner for the week. All good.
I took the car to Lexus in Indianapolis and they were adamant that it was not a warranty issue. They said that the paint should have been repaired prior to being certified. Told me to talk to the dealer I purchased from or take it to the Toyota collision center to get a quote if I wanted to pay for fixing it. This wasn't the dealer I purchased the car from. The dealer I bought from is 4 hrs away.

I took the car to two body shops today and they both quoted the entire hood being sanded and repainted. Plus replacing the clear bra. Both estimates were ~$950. When I bought the car, the dealer told me they didn't have time to clean that spot, so they compensated me $150. Once I found out the spot couldn't be buffed out, I reached out to the dealer and they were receptive, but didn't commit to anything. I sent them the estimates this evening and have asked for them to cover the entire cost of the repair. I'm very uncomfortable to having the hood repainted. I'm sure it will turn out unnoticeable, but I will alway know.

I was hoping to get the car ceramic coated soon, but this will have to be dealt with first. Hopefully the dealership will do the right thing. I don't know the full details on how Lexus certified work, but paint condition is definitely part of the 161 pt certification inspection and anything noted as wrong is supposed to corrected. I feel I paid a premium for the certification and this should have been fixed.

As I'm writing, the dealership replied and pretty much said too bad so sad, its you car now. I have asked for the manager to call me tomorrow and I will be in contact with corporate Lexus.
Old 08-06-18, 06:08 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

My reply to his email offered some clarification on his end. Not as cut and dry as I made it sound, he just can't do anything at his position, internet sales manager. He is moving the issue up to his manager as he can't approve compensation after the sale.
Old 08-06-18, 07:03 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The lesson learned here is to get EVERYTHING in writing. Otherwise it never happened and the salesman can give you all kinds of lip service and will amount to NOTHING. Recently when I was buying an MB GLA250, the salesman asked me to sign and initial right next to the VIN# along with THE price I had written down that I would pay along with all the extras I had asked the dealership to include for the total price that I would buy TODAY! He came back after asking his manager and got the OK. However, I TURNED the table around and played HIS game by having my wife call me on my cell phone. After some heated discussion (I had planned and rehearsed with my wife already before hand), I told the salesman it's no go bc I, too, had not checked with the "boss" and unless we can work out a lower price. I got up and ready to go outside. Just as I knew he asked what price we can do it at? I wrote down another number that was 3K less than what I thought was already reasonable. He went to the manager and came back saying no. So I said thank you for your time and started to leave AGAIN. He said for me to hang on and he'll talk with the manager again. He came back saying ok, let's do this. I figure it was the end of June (and end of second quarter) PLUS I SAW two semitruck auto transporters unloading into an already very crowded parking lot double parking the newly arrivals!!

I guess I was very lucky to get my issue with the black front bumper (behind the grill) paint peeling repainted at NC. The Lexus dealership who did the warranty work was some 2000+ miles away from home (where I had bought it and shipped out to where I work). The repaint job was excellent and I can't tell the difference even after more than two years now.

I guess if the Lexus HQ still says no (I mean NO in writing with your RCF VIN# and your name on the letter), you may want to try to ask a reputable dentless paint repair shops as I've seen them do some amazing things....

Originally Posted by SoSlow
I took the car to Lexus in Indianapolis and they were adamant that it was not a warranty issue. They said that the paint should have been repaired prior to being certified. Told me to talk to the dealer I purchased from or take it to the Toyota collision center to get a quote if I wanted to pay for fixing it. This wasn't the dealer I purchased the car from. The dealer I bought from is 4 hrs away.

I took the car to two body shops today and they both quoted the entire hood being sanded and repainted. Plus replacing the clear bra. Both estimates were ~$950. When I bought the car, the dealer told me they didn't have time to clean that spot, so they compensated me $150. Once I found out the spot couldn't be buffed out, I reached out to the dealer and they were receptive, but didn't commit to anything. I sent them the estimates this evening and have asked for them to cover the entire cost of the repair. I'm very uncomfortable to having the hood repainted. I'm sure it will turn out unnoticeable, but I will alway know.

I was hoping to get the car ceramic coated soon, but this will have to be dealt with first. Hopefully the dealership will do the right thing. I don't know the full details on how Lexus certified work, but paint condition is definitely part of the 161 pt certification inspection and anything noted as wrong is supposed to corrected. I feel I paid a premium for the certification and this should have been fixed.

As I'm writing, the dealership replied and pretty much said too bad so sad, its you car now. I have asked for the manager to call me tomorrow and I will be in contact with corporate Lexus.
Old 08-08-18, 06:24 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

2 days later and no call. I called them and every manager was unavailable to talk to me. I contacted Lexus headquarters and they are assigning me a case manager to assist with the dealer.
Old 08-08-18, 06:42 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Infrared is a four stage paint. It's going to be a bear to color match. make sure you go to a high end body shop - one that specializes in Porsche, Ferrari, and other high end cars.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (08-10-18)
Old 08-08-18, 07:25 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice looking ride! Congrats & Welcome
Old 08-10-18, 05:34 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Great looking red. Agree with Boss on the red painting. Hard to match