RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

AEM/K&N Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 11:34 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bklszl
^^ Thank you, but unfortunately I am in Europe.. but I will follow this thread until AEM will release the product, then I will write them about the fitting.
One more question:
Someone asked before about the the grunty sound when accelerating, so does this setup enhance the intake sound at all or it just stays the same as OEM, but also below 4k RPM?
enhanced, keep in mind that any open element or cone type filter will change intake sound.
Old 08-13-18, 12:27 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bklszl
^^ Thank you, but unfortunately I am in Europe.. but I will follow this thread until AEM will release the product, then I will write them about the fitting.
One more question:
Someone asked before about the the grunty sound when accelerating, so does this setup enhance the intake sound at all or it just stays the same as OEM, but also below 4k RPM?
Some people have pulled the vacuum line and covered the port that causes the intake flap to stay open (sound you hear after 4k). So that it's continuous and you don't hear the crossover and intake is louder. All the time. Some have discussed that this likely causes you to lose low end performance.
Old 08-14-18, 05:59 AM
bklszl
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ Done that to my GSF and in theory I understand the possible consequence of "deleting" that flap, but I didn't really feel any obvious loss of performance, the car was just as fast as needed (note that I dont track my car).
But as I had to wait for my exhaust to be shipped, it was a perfect substitute for making the car louder. Also I contacted several ISF owners who drove their cars for years with disconnected flaps and had no problems like CEL..

As the exhaust was installed I connected the vacuum lines. Now I have nice noise from the exhaust but I miss the intake sound as it was back then and if this AEM intake also comes with better sound an some gains then it feels like money spent well.

Last edited by bklszl; 08-14-18 at 06:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 12:10 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Hmmm. Well put BK. May look into this. So-right now you have BOTH these vehicles?
Literally got an answer today on Lease Return timing on the GSF. Wasn't a good conversation. Good on you man, for real.
Old 08-15-18, 12:02 AM
bklszl
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

No, just lurking at your threads since several aftermarket parts are produced for RCF/GSF

My garage would be the best if I have owned both the RCF&GSF (I would keep the sedan for dialy driving and would mod the **** out of the coupe to be loud as hell, fast as f*** so it would be my ultimate weekend whip lol) but I got only the GSF.

Old 08-15-18, 10:22 AM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Hmmm. Well put BK. May look into this. So-right now you have BOTH these vehicles?
Literally got an answer today on Lease Return timing on the GSF. Wasn't a good conversation. Good on you man, for real.
what wasn’t good about your lease convo? I turned my GS in with 0 problems or issues it went great.
Old 09-18-18, 05:01 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Any updates on this? I tried contacting AEM and didn't get any reply at all. Nothing on the web page for our cars right now.
Old 09-18-18, 11:49 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Any updates on this? I tried contacting AEM and didn't get any reply at all. Nothing on the web page for our cars right now.
i will ask for an update.
Old 09-19-18, 03:19 PM
WeisRCF
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1herm4
i will ask for an update.
i am interested in knowing as well. thanks
Old 10-10-18, 08:15 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Bump for news
Old 10-10-18, 08:56 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Why did they do the dyno in 3rd gear?
Old 11-17-18, 05:59 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

This intake system has been released. $459.99 Hopefully, someone has a Black Friday deal.

AEM 21-780C Cold Air Intake

• Increased horsepower
  • Heat Shield with Carbon Fiber Lid.
  • Low restriction aluminum tubing
  • Air filter lasts up to 100,000 miles before cleaning is required (depending on driving conditions)
  • Washable and reusable oil-free filter media
  • AEM Lifetime Limited Warranty

The AEM 21-780C fits some Lexus RC F models. See vehicle applications for details.
This Performance Air Intake System allows your engine to breathe more air compared to the restrictive factory air intake housing. It is designed, tuned and dyno-tested to produce more horsepower and torque. Air enters the system through an oversized AEM Dryflow synthetic washable air filter for outstanding air flow, filtration and performance. The air intake tube is constructed from mandrel-bent aluminum featuring a durable gunmetal gray powder coated finish. A custom shaped heat shield with a carbon fiber lid is included. The tapered cylinder shaped AEM Dryflow air filter is made from an oil-free, synthetic filter media that can be used for up to 100,000 miles before cleaning is needed (depending on driving conditions). This Air Intake System is backed by AEM's Lifetime Limited Warranty. Some AEM air intakes are not legal for sale or use in California and other states adopting California emission standards, while others are 50 state legal. View the 21-780C vehicle applications to determine the legal status for each vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 03:03 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Damn ima cop this **** fast
Old 11-17-18, 03:19 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by mjn88
There is a dyno chart above showing the improved hp and tq...that is a fact that it improves performance. I will never understand the hate...
the results are complete and total fraud, that’s why

No way this intake makes power. They simply sandbag the initial results a bit. Takeda intake claims +12hp, which is also total nonsense.

Dynojets are very consistent assuming there is good cooling in the dyno and testing is conducted in a repeatable way by monitoring intake and coolant temps. 400whp on a Dynojet with exhaust is VERY LOW for an RCF, never mind that it was supposed to make +18whp, lol.

Assuming the car is not heat soaking on dyno, an RCF should make 390-405 SAE in dynojet, bone stock.

I know these results are BS, because we extensively tested large open cone filters on the RCF years ago... MADE NO POWER. We even remapped the ECU and used 90mm (vs stock 84mm) intake pipes and MADE NO POWER. We weren’t going to just put a product out there that we know doesn’t make power, as Takeda and AEM are clearly doing.

in the course of doing extensive street datalogging, we discovered that the stock RCF intake suffers from heat soak when the secondary intake flapper opens, which is why we designed our carbon fiber intake heat shield.

That said, we don’t make any dyno claims about our new heat shield, but we do provide datalogs which show the improvement in intake air temps.

Rafi

Last edited by RRRacing; 11-17-18 at 03:33 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RRRacing:
05RollaXRS (11-17-18), CAHWY128 (11-17-18), Davew77 (11-17-18), lobuxracer (11-19-18)
Old 11-17-18, 07:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Thanks Rafi. As usual, very insightful. I agree the headers and exhaust are two things that yield the 40 - 45 whp gain. intake even stock is quite well optimized and hard to imagine an aftermarket intake would gain more power.

Quick Reply: AEM/K&N Intake