RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

well my RCF is gone now... traded it in, sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 04:35 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default well my RCF is gone now... traded it in, sort of....

kind of a sad day and a happy day at the same time.

I loved my RCF, there really wasn't anything about the car I didn't like. But with my disability it was becoming harder and harder to drive it. The pain and swelling I experienced after 20-30 minutes of sitting in traffic just out weighed my love for the car..

I know the problem is me, my size and my right hip/pelvis injury resulted in me essentially sitting on the cushion bolster and it dug into my hamstring and cut circulation, coupled with the tight fit, it required me to sit too far forward in a very cramped position. Up until last year it really wasn't an issue, but after I over torqued my right knee resulting in surgery, I could no longer comfortably drive the car.

I started by looking at 2015 LS460 Crafted Line vehicles with similar mileage as my RCF, figuring I might be able to coax even trade as I owned the RCF outright, but after looking at a few and crunching the numbers it just didn't make financial sense to go this route. Trade on the RCF is stupid low IMO, and there is currently a high supply of lease returns and no demand for them. I figured the taller profile of a sedan with significantly more headroom would allow me to sit more upright, where the RCF forced me to slouch and scooch under the steering wheel.

I ended up working a hell of a deal for a 2018 Genesis G80 Sport. The dealership I worked with allowed me to have an overnight test drive on 2 models, the 5.0 Ultimate and the Sport, I was able to drive them to and from work taking my normal route and sitting in my normal traffic, and the seats are outstanding, I had no pain or discomfort driving the vehicle.

What sold me on the Sport was the appearance package and the carbon fiber and full black interior (the 5.0 had faux wood and a tan headliner). The stiffer suspension and tighter less 'floaty' feel than the 5.0 had. The Sport has the same sporty look as the RCF, though not as sleek or low as the RCF of course.

The GM at the Genesis dealership bought my RCF private party, he had commented to me that he wanted one when I came in looking at the G80s, I had left the RCF there while I test drove the G80s, and I guess looking at it for 2 days he couldn't resist, He ended up texting me and making an offer I couldn't refuse, gave me $3,500 over the highest offer Lexus had given me on trade, and gave me $7,800 off MSRP on the G80.

I'm sad that I had to let the RCF go, but as much as I loved the car, it really wasn't fun to drive it anymore knowing I was going to be in pain doing so.

Last edited by mjeds; 06-09-18 at 07:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjeds:
BossMoss (06-13-18), LRCSALES (06-16-18)
Old 06-09-18, 05:17 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
kind of a sad day and a happy day at the same time.

I loved my RCF, there really wasn't anything about the car I didn't like. But with my disability it was becoming harder and harder to drive it. The pain and swelling I experienced after 20-30 minutes of sitting in traffic just out weighed my love for the car..

I know the problem is me, my size and my right hip/pelvis injury resulted in me essentially sitting on the cushion bolster and it dug into my hamstring and cut circulation, coupled with the tight fit, it required me to sit too far forward in a very cramped position. Up until last year it really wasn't an issue, but after I over torqued my right knee resulting in surgery, I could no longer comfortably drive the car.

I started by looking at 2015 LS460 Crafted Line vehicles with similar mileage as my RCF, figuring I might be able to coax even trade as I owned the RCF outright, but after looking at a few and crunching the numbers it just didn't make financial sense to go this route. Trade on the RCF is stupid low IMO, and there is currently a high supply of lease returns and no demand for them. I figured the taller profile of a sedan with significantly more headroom would allow me to sit more upright, where the RCF forced me to slouch and scooch under the steering wheel.

I ended up working a hell of a deal for a 2018 Genesis G80 Sport. The dealership I worked with allowed me to have an overnight test drive on 2 models, the 5.0 Ultimate and the Sport, I was able to drive them to and from work taking my normal route and sitting in my normal traffic, and the seats are outstanding, I had no pain or discomfort driving the vehicle.

What sold me on the Sport was the appearance package and the carbon fiber and full black interior (the 5.0 had faux wood and a tan headliner). The stiffer suspension and tighter less 'floaty' feel that the 5.0 had. The Sport has the same sporty look as the RCF, though not as sleek or low as the RCF of course.

The GM at the Genesis dealership bought my RCF private party, he had commented to me that he wanted one when I came in looking at the G80s, I had left the RCF there while I test drove the G80s, and I guess looking at it for 2 days he couldn't resist, He ended up texting me and making an offer I couldn't refuse, gave me $3,500 over the highest offer Lexus had given me on trade, and gave me $7,800 off MSRP on the G80.

I'm sad that I had to let the RCF go, but as much as I loved the car, it really wasn't fun to drive it anymore knowing I was going to be in pain doing so.
Im sorry you had to get a G80 for the RCF! I had a friend who had one for 8 months and traded it in for a new GS. He mentioned that It has a good first impression, but the fit and finish isn't high quality, the ride gets boring, and the transmission is terrible. Parts kept rattling and pieces started breaking. He kept telling me that he had to bring back the car so many times for little things and after a while he had enough and traded it in and lost a significant amount. He didn't realize how much the G80 lost in value after purchasing brand new. Another thing he complained about is their customer service. He had an IS prior to getting the G80 and now has a GS. Not trying to bash Genesis, just letting you know what info I have from a friend that use to own one!
Old 06-09-18, 05:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I can relate somewhat on the bitter-sweet moment leaving behind the RCF. I departed with it too in January for practical reasons and I couldn't refuse the deal to trade it for the Stinger.

I really like the 3.3TT V6 - more powerful down low/mid than the RCF, but not as powerful above 4k rpm. And the V8 sound is leaps and bounds better.

So congrats on your G80 Sport! How do you find the 3.3TT V6?
Old 06-09-18, 07:10 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I can relate somewhat on the bitter-sweet moment leaving behind the RCF. I departed with it too in January for practical reasons and I couldn't refuse the deal to trade it for the Stinger.

I really like the 3.3TT V6 - more powerful down low/mid than the RCF, but not as powerful above 4k rpm. And the V8 sound is leaps and bounds better.

So congrats on your G80 Sport! How do you find the 3.3TT V6?
similar to your findings great in the low end and launch head snapping like the RCF. But pretty flat on the top end.

But it I don’t hot rod or race my cars. It’s a daily driver and it seems well suited for that purpose.

It’s a sedan so it’s heavy with a large *** end compared to something like the RCF, but it seems to handle itself well.

Time will tell. But I believe I made a good decision for my needs.
Old 06-09-18, 07:17 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mjn88
Im sorry you had to get a G80 for the RCF! I had a friend who had one for 8 months and traded it in for a new GS. He mentioned that It has a good first impression, but the fit and finish isn't high quality, the ride gets boring, and the transmission is terrible. Parts kept rattling and pieces started breaking. He kept telling me that he had to bring back the car so many times for little things and after a while he had enough and traded it in and lost a significant amount. He didn't realize how much the G80 lost in value after purchasing brand new. Another thing he complained about is their customer service. He had an IS prior to getting the G80 and now has a GS. Not trying to bash Genesis, just letting you know what info I have from a friend that use to own one!
the RCF has lost over 60% in 3 years. Such is the way of things. Cars are not investments they are tools that depreciate.

Sorry your our friend had so many issues and complaints, all manufacturers have lemons or problem cars. The fit and finish on the G80 sport is comparable to Infinity/Acura IMO. Lexus is a bit above those.

I gave Lexus a chance and they failed at keeping me as a customer. The Genesis dealer went above and beyond to earn my business. Time will tell whether or not they keep it. But based on the reviews I’ve read about this dealer, I don’t foresee a problem, they have over 2000 reviews on yelp and 5 stars.

Old 06-12-18, 11:32 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

would you mind sharing how much you got for it?
Old 06-12-18, 12:39 PM
2hvy4grvty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like he "lost over 60%" value on it. Given a loaded MSRP of like 80k... that means he got less than 32k? Am I reading that wrong?
Old 06-12-18, 01:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats on the G80! Those are great cars!
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 02:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by 2hvy4grvty
It sounds like he "lost over 60%" value on it. Given a loaded MSRP of like 80k... that means he got less than 32k? Am I reading that wrong?
Yeah, wholesale/auction price is always a lot lower than the market value of the car, if it was sold directly to a customer. It is the price for convenience of just trading in.

A very informative video on just that

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-12-18 at 02:28 PM.
GunnyFitz (06-13-18)
Old 06-12-18, 04:00 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rmason
would you mind sharing how much you got for it?
Originally Posted by 2hvy4grvty
I was offered $36K by Lexus, The trade in offer from Genesis was less than Lexus,

The Genesis GM contacted me outside the scope of his position and offered to buy it private party, as stated he gave me $3,500 over the highest offer Lexus made, so $39,500. Still lower than it should have been, but was higher then any dealer was offering on trade..

My RCF was under mileage, clean, not a blemish on it, serviced every 5K and detailed weekly, I had a full hood, fender, fascia, and mirror Xpel wrap, 5% tint all around, and no other mods to decrease value,

Trade should have been on the higher side, closer to $41K but no one is offering over $36K for them,

1. because there are a lot of 2015 lease returns in inventory,
2. because there is no demand for them.

non-Lexus dealers are offering $31K-$34K, This includes Genesis, MBZ, BMW, and Toyota, all of which I looked at.. Carmax offered me $32K

so yes an MSRP ~$75,000 RCF has lost 60% of it's value IMO.
Old 06-12-18, 04:58 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Give The Man His Due

My best friend had a cousin, who's sisters boyfriend, had a brother, who's best friend was friends with my best friend. And he, she, him ,her, him and them all had a car that didn't fit their muscular stature - thus selling their car for something they truly love!!

Just say congratulations to the man for getting a car that he truly likes, fits his frame, and was able to sell his RCF for good money for. Therefore, congrats to you sir!!
mjeds (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 07:08 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
My best friend had a cousin, who's sisters boyfriend, had a brother, who's best friend was friends with my best friend. And he, she, him ,her, him and them all had a car that didn't fit their muscular stature - thus selling their car for something they truly love!!

Just say congratulations to the man for getting a car that he truly likes, fits his frame, and was able to sell his RCF for good money for. Therefore, congrats to you sir!!
Agreed with above and enjoy the new ride.
mjeds (06-13-18)
Old 06-12-18, 07:52 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

G80 is nice man, I trust it more than buying an MB or BMW, Im not into leasing just owning. this guy tried to race me in one time and I was being cocky and let him have a 2 sec head start and I couldn't get past him but I was neck and neck with him until like 80mph but thats with him having a 2 sec head start. they're nice cars.
mjeds (06-13-18)
Old 06-13-18, 08:22 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP, sorry to hear about the health issues but glad you are in a vehicle that works for you now. I find the seats in the RCF to be the best seats I've ever experienced and find them very comfortable when I commute, but that obviously does not apply to everyone.

With that being said, it is really disheartening to hear what you were offered on the Lexus. I'm planning on shopping for a 2017 or newer GTR soon and I think I'd lose my mind if I were offered anything in the 30K range for it. To be honest I'm expecting something more in the range of mid 40's, getting that type of offer may force me to reconsider moving on from it but I might just be out of touch with where the RCF is at in the market when it comes to trading it in. It's time for something else, the RCF no longer has the performance I am looking for but it's still a great all around car.
mjeds (06-13-18)
Old 06-13-18, 08:43 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Hate to hear this mjeds, But IF you're more comfortable That's what matters Buddy! GL with your New ride, Hope you Enjoy it & Hopefully your Health will improve to get you Back in another RCF!

Quick Reply: well my RCF is gone now... traded it in, sort of....