RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

well my RCF is gone now... traded it in, sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 04:44 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Last Comment / Question -

Did you look at, sit in, or consider the LC500 at all? Just curious if that was just as tight for you? (The LS is no doubt bigger/same as G80)
When I test drove one, it appeared to accommodate people a lot larger than myself, and had a bit more room than my present RCF seats. Never sat in a Hyundai, but this Genesis sure looks like a sweet ride! Would you care to post up some pics of it before you part ways with us please?
Old 06-14-18, 08:30 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Last Comment / Question -

Did you look at, sit in, or consider the LC500 at all? Just curious if that was just as tight for you? (The LS is no doubt bigger/same as G80)
When I test drove one, it appeared to accommodate people a lot larger than myself, and had a bit more room than my present RCF seats. Never sat in a Hyundai, but this Genesis sure looks like a sweet ride! Would you care to post up some pics of it before you part ways with us please?
nope didn't even consider the LC500 or the LS500, both are far past my budget or even what I would consider paying for a car. The RCF was a bit past my ceiling overall and I never would have considered it if it had not been for GM and the lemon buy back of my Camaro, which essentially allowed me to pay cash for the car.

here is a quick pic I snapped at the while I was at the barber the day after I got it.. I will take some more after I get the xpel wrap this weekend.
Old 06-14-18, 08:46 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Hate to hear this mjeds, But IF you're more comfortable That's what matters Buddy! GL with your New ride, Hope you Enjoy it & Hopefully your Health will improve to get you Back in another RCF!
doubtful, I think my days of sport coupes is about over.. If the seats in the RCF had been an inch or two lower, and/or if the telescoping steering wheel had come out 2 inches further, it would not have been issue.. To put the seat where I needed it, I couldn't reach the steering wheel. to put the seat where I could reach the steering wheel made driving uncomfortable.

In a sedan the roof line is higher, allowing for a more upright position, also they tend to have more shoulder space for us wide bodies.

My wife has been making fun of me since I bought the G80, telling me I am finally accepting the fact that I am an old man and I need to start acting like an old man. In the past year I have had to start using reading glasses, since my knee injury last year I have been using a cane, and now I have an old man sedan.. Guess I should start wearing a Fedora or a Flat Cap and make it official.
Old 06-14-18, 01:33 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Camaro?

Originally Posted by mjeds
nope didn't even consider the LC500 or the LS500, both are far past my budget or even what I would consider paying for a car. The RCF was a bit past my ceiling overall and I never would have considered it if it had not been for GM and the lemon buy back of my Camaro, which essentially allowed me to pay cash for the car. I will take some more after I get the xpel wrap this weekend.
Show and tell us about the Camaro experience since you're still here lounging in Club Lexus!

Which one did ya have? That's one thing that pushed me away from going Corvette (Chevy) there are so many damn trim levels they could fill 10 pages of they listed them all. Z-this n that.
What brought you to the Camaro, and how did it fall prey to The Lemon?
(Pics!) Btw- do they have a dedicated Genesis Forum too?

Guess ya just cant bring yourself to leave us eh?
Old 06-14-18, 03:43 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Show and tell us about the Camaro experience since you're still here lounging in Club Lexus!

Which one did ya have? That's one thing that pushed me away from going Corvette (Chevy) there are so many damn trim levels they could fill 10 pages of they listed them all. Z-this n that.
What brought you to the Camaro, and how did it fall prey to The Lemon?
(Pics!) Btw- do they have a dedicated Genesis Forum too?

Guess ya just cant bring yourself to leave us eh?
  • I've posted the story here before. I had a 2012 2SS/RS Convertible, the convertible had a defective top that would cause the canvas top to bunch up under the frame when the roof was retracted and then when you closed the roof it would tear the top, 4 tops in just under 3 years, each time my car was in the dealer possession for 3-6 weeks, the first time it happened was at 1,500 miles and they had my car from Sept 17th 2012 (3 weeks after I bought it) until January 12th 2013. I qualified for Lemon Law then, but decided to give it a chance, after the 4th top and a big fight at the dealer over it (car was still under the 3/36K warranty) and them wanting me to pay half, I filed for Lemon Law. CA Lemon Law requires arbitration and if the manufacturer loses they have to make it as if you never owned the car, reimbursement the MSRP of the car (not what you paid) and for all expenses, interest, maintenance, vehicle registration, etc. GM didn't even argue the point, I didn't even have to get a lawyer, they knew I would win because of the dealer keeping my car 3 months for the first top. They fully reimbursed me for everything, tires, brakes, oil changes, interest, registrations, everything.
  • What brought me to the Camaro. I've owned several over 35 years, Camaro, Trans Am, Mustang, 928, 944, I like that style of car, which is why the RCF was a natural fit, Sadly my old *** body didn't fit any longer..
  • Yes there is a dedicated Genesis forum (several), but it pretty much sucks, too new I guess, not many posts or users.

Camaro pix:

Last edited by mjeds; 06-14-18 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 04:55 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Thank You!

Now THAT was a good read man! Thx for sharing. Good story!
Truly wish you the best with your Luxury Ride! Keep posting pics of it if ya feel like it too!
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 08:28 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

nope didn't even consider the LC500 or the LS500, both are far past my budget or even what I would consider paying for a car. The RCF was a bit past my ceiling overall and I never would have considered it if it had not been for GM and the lemon buy back of my Camaro, which essentially allowed me to pay cash for the car.

here is a quick pic I snapped at the while I was at the barber the day after I got it.. I will take some more after I get the xpel wrap this weekend.
WOW, this looks just like my wife's car we just bought, you do know it has an Awesome Massage in the driver's seat & the passenger seat. I mean AWESOME, though it only last 10 minutes because Lexus thinks it may put you to sleep! But you can turn it right back own, it massages you from your legs to your neck!
Old 06-14-18, 08:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

"only last 10 minutes because Lexus thinks it may put you to sleep!"

This ain't NO LEXUS. Hummmm, could it be a Genesis??? LOL. The Korean car manufacturers had come a long way, but there are a lot more work ahead for them.

WOW, this looks just like my wife's car we just bought, you do know it has an Awesome Massage in the driver's seat & the passenger seat. I mean AWESOME, though it only last 10 minutes because Lexus thinks it may put you to sleep! But you can turn it right back own, it massages you from your legs to your neck!
Old 06-14-18, 09:43 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
"only last 10 minutes because Lexus thinks it may put you to sleep!"

This ain't NO LEXUS. Hummmm, could it be a Genesis??? LOL. The Korean car manufacturers had come a long way, but there are a lot more work ahead for them.
SO what car is this? It looks just like my wife's LS500, I guess I need to start looking a lil' closer IF it isn't!
Old 06-15-18, 07:20 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

SO what car is this? It looks just like my wife's LS500, I guess I need to start looking a lil' closer IF it isn't!
um, unless you are just being cheeky.. that's my Genesis G80 Sport..

if you are being funny, well then never mind..
Old 06-15-18, 02:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

It's a Hyundai.

i would get one if the price were MUCH lower. Anything over $50K for a Hyundai is too much IMHO. IF I were to spend over $50K, I would just go with Lexus. I'm a fan of Lexus.
​​​​​

Old 06-15-18, 02:55 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

It's a Hyundai.

i would get one if the price were MUCH lower. Anything over $50K for a Hyundai is too much IMHO. IF I were to spend over $50K, I would just go with Lexus. I'm a fan of Lexus.
​​​​​
The G80 starts well below $50K, my Fully equipped G80 Sport was ~$52K OTD with the discounts and rebates. a similar equipped Audi A6, BMW 5-series, or Lexus GS would run from $60K - $75K. I don't care that it is not a from a 'bougie' name brand elitist car company, what sold me on the car was the comfort level of the driving position, amount of options for the price, and the dealer experience..

As much as I loved my RCF, I can't say that my overall experience owning a bougie name brand was that much better than owning a GM product. My first 2 service experiences at Santa Monica Lexus were akin to my experiences with GM and their B.S. a service manager that abused my car and a service tech that forgot to put the retaining pins back into the brakes after doing the pad LSB, resulting in the rear brakes rattling until I brought it back. Poor service, poor behavior, and inattentiveness by the techs.

While Cerritos Lexus was much better with the customer service aspect at the service department, my experience in their sales department, once again was akin to my experiences buying Chevy's and Pontiacs. There was nothing truly special or outstanding about the experience, other than gold plated bathroom fixtures and free name brand coffee.

As for quality, well it's a Toyota, so to an extend that is a given, but the RCF was not without fault. Squeaky brakes that required and LSB, Sunroof that had to be replaced because it malfunctioned, LSB for shift hesitation and fuel pump whine that lead to a recall for the same. All vehicles, all products, all manufacturers have issues, it is the nature of things, what matters is how they are handled by the representatives of the company, I am split on that, the brake and fuel pump issuer were bad experienced at one Lexus dealer, the sunroof was a good experience at a different dealer.

I am happy with the car I can confidently say that the discomfort and pain I experienced driving my RCF is not present with this car, my commute has gone from intolerable to very comfortable. The car handles well for my needs, the options suit my needs, and overall I am enjoying the car.. Yes I miss my RCF as a whole and if circumstances were different I would still have it, things are as they are, end of story.

To each their own, but bang for the buck, options for the price the G80 presents a great value. of the several dozen reviews I watch on youtube and read online about the G80 Sport, there were no negative ones, even from reviewers that seemingly hated on every other Hyundai model. This particular generation of the G80 has been out since 2015, and the overall long term reviews are just as positive..
The following users liked this post:
mk416 (06-16-18)
Old 06-15-18, 08:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

All you said is true bc it's YOUR OWN experience and nothing else can beat that.

The V8 Genesis G80 is over $50K with some over $72k.

The G80 you are talking about must be the 3.3 liter or the 3.8 liter V6 for less. But if you are attempting to compare to the RCF, then please use the V8 G80. If you are using the V6 G80, then it's ALMOST like comparing to the Toyota Avalon (more to the Camery IMHO).

EXAMPLES OF THE. TWO V8 Genesis:

At the end of the day, it is STILL A HYUNDAI and nothing is wrong with that (Similarly at the end of the day, the Lexi I drive around are still a Toyota at it's core.). Just look at the attempts Nissan (Infinity), Honda (Acura), and Mazada (Millienium model of many years ago and was abandoned by Mazada), and now Hyundai (Attempt with the Genesis models). Only Lexus (Toyota) REALLY made it. All the other Japanese (and Korean with the Hyundai/Genesis and recently its sister brand KIA with the Stinger model) have either failed or are struggling to hang on. I gotta give the Hyundai/KIA folks for their innovations and give Lexus a run for the money. Without Hyundai/KIA constantly stirring up the competition, there will be no progress and to keep Lexus on its toes.

You can not compare the G80 to the RCF bc these are two VERY DIFFERENT CARS and TARGETING TWO VASTLY DIFFERENT MARKET SHARE (Sure the same person MAY LOOK AT BOTH AND EVEN BUY THE G80 as you did). As you had evidently found out these two cars ride and drive and BEHAVE VERY DIFFERENTLY.

Just to note that the 2015 RCF I bought with some 18xx miles (yes, less than 2000 miles) on the odo back in October 2015 was from an elderly lady who bought the RCF brand new and after less than a couple of months her back was hurting so badly, she drove back to the Lexus dealership in SoCal where she bought it from and then drove out with a brand new LS460. She lost a lot on both deals, but she did not care, I guess. I happened to be at the right place at the right time and made a deal with the Lexus dealership.

So maybe I'm just not convinced that Hyundai/KIA is worth that much, even at $35K? I guess I am still stuck at the Hyundai Excel from the 1980's......back then my roommate had one.......it was somewhat reliable and people always associated it with the word "cheap" as depicted in its ADs as below. The AD even suggested to get "a spare car" with the Hyundai!!

The bottom line is if YOU like it, then that's all it matters.

The G80 starts well below $50K, my Fully equipped G80 Sport was ~$52K OTD with the discounts and rebates. a similar equipped Audi A6, BMW 5-series, or Lexus GS would run from $60K - $75K. I don't care that it is not a from a 'bougie' name brand elitist car company, what sold me on the car was the comfort level of the driving position, amount of options for the price, and the dealer experience..

As much as I loved my RCF, I can't say that my overall experience owning a bougie name brand was that much better than owning a GM product. My first 2 service experiences at Santa Monica Lexus were akin to my experiences with GM and their B.S. a service manager that abused my car and a service tech that forgot to put the retaining pins back into the brakes after doing the pad LSB, resulting in the rear brakes rattling until I brought it back. Poor service, poor behavior, and inattentiveness by the techs.

While Cerritos Lexus was much better with the customer service aspect at the service department, my experience in their sales department, once again was akin to my experiences buying Chevy's and Pontiacs. There was nothing truly special or outstanding about the experience, other than gold plated bathroom fixtures and free name brand coffee.

As for quality, well it's a Toyota, so to an extend that is a given, but the RCF was not without fault. Squeaky brakes that required and LSB, Sunroof that had to be replaced because it malfunctioned, LSB for shift hesitation and fuel pump whine that lead to a recall for the same. All vehicles, all products, all manufacturers have issues, it is the nature of things, what matters is how they are handled by the representatives of the company, I am split on that, the brake and fuel pump issuer were bad experienced at one Lexus dealer, the sunroof was a good experience at a different dealer.

I am happy with the car I can confidently say that the discomfort and pain I experienced driving my RCF is not present with this car, my commute has gone from intolerable to very comfortable. The car handles well for my needs, the options suit my needs, and overall I am enjoying the car.. Yes I miss my RCF as a whole and if circumstances were different I would still have it, things are as they are, end of story.

To each their own, but bang for the buck, options for the price the G80 presents a great value. of the several dozen reviews I watch on youtube and read online about the G80 Sport, there were no negative ones, even from reviewers that seemingly hated on every other Hyundai model. This particular generation of the G80 has been out since 2015, and the overall long term reviews are just as positive..

Last edited by lexusrus; 06-15-18 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-16-18, 08:55 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

All you said is true bc it's YOUR OWN experience and nothing else can beat that.

The V8 Genesis G80 is over $50K with some over $72k.

The G80 you are talking about must be the 3.3 liter or the 3.8 liter V6 for less. But if you are attempting to compare to the RCF, then please use the V8 G80. If you are using the V6 G80, then it's ALMOST like comparing to the Toyota Avalon (more to the Camery IMHO).

EXAMPLES OF THE. TWO V8 Genesis:

At the end of the day, it is STILL A HYUNDAI and nothing is wrong with that (Similarly at the end of the day, the Lexi I drive around are still a Toyota at it's core.). Just look at the attempts Nissan (Infinity), Honda (Acura), and Mazada (Millienium model of many years ago and was abandoned by Mazada), and now Hyundai (Attempt with the Genesis models). Only Lexus (Toyota) REALLY made it. All the other Japanese (and Korean with the Hyundai/Genesis and recently its sister brand KIA with the Stinger model) have either failed or are struggling to hang on. I gotta give the Hyundai/KIA folks for their innovations and give Lexus a run for the money. Without Hyundai/KIA constantly stirring up the competition, there will be no progress and to keep Lexus on its toes.

You can not compare the G80 to the RCF bc these are two VERY DIFFERENT CARS and TARGETING TWO VASTLY DIFFERENT MARKET SHARE (Sure the same person MAY LOOK AT BOTH AND EVEN BUY THE G80 as you did). As you had evidently found out these two cars ride and drive and BEHAVE VERY DIFFERENTLY.

Just to note that the 2015 RCF I bought with some 18xx miles (yes, less than 2000 miles) on the odo back in October 2015 was from an elderly lady who bought the RCF brand new and after less than a couple of months her back was hurting so badly, she drove back to the Lexus dealership in SoCal where she bought it from and then drove out with a brand new LS460. She lost a lot on both deals, but she did not care, I guess. I happened to be at the right place at the right time and made a deal with the Lexus dealership.

So maybe I'm just not convinced that Hyundai/KIA is worth that much, even at $35K? I guess I am still stuck at the Hyundai Excel from the 1980's......back then my roommate had one.......it was somewhat reliable and people always associated it with the word "cheap" as depicted in its ADs as below. The AD even suggested to get "a spare car" with the Hyundai!!

The bottom line is if YOU like it, then that's all it matters.

first of all at no point and time was I ever comparing the G80 to the RCF, I purchased the G80 because it was the only vehicle I found comfortable in my desired price range, The LS was also comfortable and while I can very well afford one, I have no desire to spend $100K on a new car that will lose 50%-60% of it's resale in 3 years, I would rather take the hit on a $50K vehicle. and again the G80 STARTS well below $50K as I stated, yes you can get them up to $62K depending on the model and options, no different than the RC in that respect, the RC starts with a low model @ around $50K and runs up to $75K for the RCF, but again at no time was I ever comparing the two. I was responding your statement that you wouldn't spend over $50k on a Hyundai.

second, you are posting prices for a G90 which is a completely different car than the G80, and lastly WTF is a Mazada?

do me a favor, go crap on someone else's thread, I don't give a F--K about your opinion or your hate on Hyundai, so F--K off.
Old 06-16-18, 04:41 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

LOL, I don't hate anything nor anyone. Just saying if I were to spend THAT kind of money, I would spend it on "something else". Similarly, if I were to buy a "German brand", I would buy "made in Germany" not made in somewhere else. It's just me.

I do hate the auto correct on phones!!! You've never heard of Mazada? I mean Mazda, .LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Millenia

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Per Wikipedia.......

The Millenia was originally planned as the second of three models for Mazda’s proposed luxury brand Amati. As the company’s dwindling finances caused by the onslaught of the "bubble economy" prevented the launch of the Amati brand, the Millenia was released in the autumn of 1993 in Europe as the Mazda Xedos 9 and in Japan and Australia as the Eunos 800. The car was launched in North Americain 1995 as the Mazda Millenia and in July 1997 the Japanese market Eunos 800 was also renamed to Mazda Millenia as Mazda discontinued the Eunosbrand. There was no model link to the other Mazda marque, Ẽfini.

Having been developed for a separate market from typical Mazda customers, the Millenia boasted myriad finer details. It was engineered to far greater levels of perceived quality than existing Mazda cars, such as interior plastic, panel gap and thicker paint coating. The Millenia/Eunos 800/Xedos 9 was assembled along with the smaller Eunos 500/Mazda Xedos 6 in a new production line, presumably set up for Amati cars.

The Millenia does not have a direct predecessor or replacement in the Mazda product line, and production ceased with the introduction of the Mazda 6 in 2002, itself a replacement for the 626. It appears to have received a brand-new platform, although the multi-link suspension at both ends strongly resembled that of the 1991 Mazda Sentia, with minor changes such as replacing the lower I-arm with an A-arm for front wheel drive. It was the only production car in the world to employ a Miller cycle engine (The current Demio/Mazda2 features Miller Cycle on one of its engines). Yaw-sensitive four-wheel steeringwas available as an option in Japan; Mazda claimed that with this feature, the Millenia was capable of passing the elk test at speeds comparable to the BMW 850i and Nissan 300ZX.

The 1997 Japanese market name change from Eunos 800 to Mazda Millenia was accompanied by a significant facelift that included some cost-saving measures. For instance, the hood was downgraded from aluminum to steel. The Millenia was again facelifted for the 2000 model year.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If the G80, G90, or whatever it is called were priced substantially less, like $30K FULLY loaded brand new......I would buy it. Just matter of pricing...... No crap!!

UPDATE:.

With THAT MUCH DEPRECIATION WITH THE Genesis, I would NOT mind picking up a slightly used Genesis!!! I'm always looking for value!!

first of all at no point and time was I ever comparing the G80 to the RCF, I purchased the G80 because it was the only vehicle I found comfortable in my desired price range, The LS was also comfortable and while I can very well afford one, I have no desire to spend $100K on a new car that will lose 50%-60% of it's resale in 3 years, I would rather take the hit on a $50K vehicle. and again the G80 STARTS well below $50K as I stated, yes you can get them up to $62K depending on the model and options, no different than the RC in that respect, the RC starts with a low model @ around $50K and runs up to $75K for the RCF, but again at no time was I ever comparing the two. I was responding your statement that you wouldn't spend over $50k on a Hyundai.

second, you are posting prices for a G90 which is a completely different car than the G80, and lastly WTF is a Mazada?

do me a favor, go crap on someone else's thread, I don't give a F--K about your opinion or your hate on Hyundai, so F--K off.

Last edited by lexusrus; 06-17-18 at 10:14 AM.