Most aggressive rear tire setup for TRACTION!!?? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > RC Models > RC F (2015-present)
Most aggressive rear tire setup for TRACTION!!?? >

Most aggressive rear tire setup for TRACTION!!??

Notices
RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Most aggressive rear tire setup for TRACTION!!??

Old 05-17-18, 10:13 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Default Most aggressive rear tire setup for TRACTION!!??

So I've done some research and I cant seem to find an actual answer on the best tire size, width, or sidewall that will fit with STOCK wheels and swift springs.. some say 295/35/19 , 305/30/19, then I see 305/35/19 will fit but will effect car negatively? Can we see some real answers here from people who have done it? I want to go 305 width but am going to be in stock wheels for a bit and idk if 305/30 or 305/35 better , or would 295/35 be better for traction?
Old 05-18-18, 04:57 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD View Post
So I've done some research and I cant seem to find an actual answer on the best tire size, width, or sidewall that will fit with STOCK wheels and swift springs.. some say 295/35/19 , 305/30/19, then I see 305/35/19 will fit but will effect car negatively? Can we see some real answers here from people who have done it? I want to go 305 width but am going to be in stock wheels for a bit and idk if 305/30 or 305/35 better , or would 295/35 be better for traction?
I am running Michelin PS4s 275/30R19 in the front and 295/30R19 in the rear. It looks very nice and have great traction on straight line acceleration. One drawback I notice is cornering as the sidewall seem to flex more. On my next tire change I think I will go with 265 front and 285 rear instead. I don't like the sidewall flexing on hard cornering. Steering feel does not feel as sharp as when it was on stock PSS 255 and 275. Check out one of my thread I posted last year.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...tock-rims.html
Old 05-18-18, 06:25 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChuH View Post
I am running Michelin PS4s 275/30R19 in the front and 295/30R19 in the rear. It looks very nice and have great traction on straight line acceleration. One drawback I notice is cornering as the sidewall seem to flex more. On my next tire change I think I will go with 265 front and 285 rear instead. I don't like the sidewall flexing on hard cornering. Steering feel does not feel as sharp as when it was on stock PSS 255 and 275. Check out one of my thread I posted last year.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...tock-rims.html
That is typically a symptom of too wide tires on wheels that don't have enough width to let the tire fully "expand" over the width of the wheel. It results in a "bulge" on the sidewalls. Since stock fronts are 9 inches wide, the maximum tire width without compromising on handling/steering feel,would be 265. Since the side wall does not properly sit over the outer lip of the wheel, it causes it to flex under high lateral forces. I personally find 255 on the front to be plenty adequate. With a stiffer sidewall like on the MPS4S or the XL version of MPSS, the turn-in most probably will become even more crisp.
Old 05-18-18, 09:33 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Are we talking stock wheels? The correct way to get more rubber on the back is to widen the wheel and get appropriate sized tires. I am running 10.5" wheel with 305/30/19 PS4 tires. No bulge on this setup and traction is not an issue
Old 05-18-18, 10:52 AM
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

From another thread:

Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
^^^^Per manufacturer's specs, a 275/35/19 tire is the max width you can mount on a 9" wheel:

However 305/30/19 is too wide for a 10" wheel.:

Lou
Old 05-18-18, 12:04 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Champion

While 275 mm might be the widest allowable for 9 inch wheels, it is not optimal at all. That is what I was saying. The tire will bulge out on 9 inch wheels on the sides. There is nothing wrong with it and will work fine. Just that it will roll on the sidewalls more and turn-in will become "spongy" rather than "crisp" which is achieved by having the wheel a bit wider than the size of tire you are using.

From another thread:

Lou
Old 05-18-18, 12:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^Many many folks in the ISF forum have been running 275s on the rears with 9" wheels for many years without problems.

Lou
Old 05-18-18, 12:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Champion

^^^^Many many folks in the ISF forum have been running 275s on the rears with 9" wheels for many years without problems.

Lou
ISF rears are 9.5 inches.
Old 05-18-18, 02:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^Nope - Early ones thru 2011 were 9". 2012 to 2014 were 9.5". My statement stands. The 9" can run 285s.

Lou
Old 05-20-18, 08:35 AM
GunnyFitz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS View Post
That is typically a symptom of too wide tires on wheels that don't have enough width to let the tire fully "expand" over the width of the wheel. It results in a "bulge" on the sidewalls. Since stock fronts are 9 inches wide, the maximum tire width without compromising on handling/steering feel,would be 265. Since the side wall does not properly sit over the outer lip of the wheel, it causes it to flex under high lateral forces. I personally find 255 on the front to be plenty adequate. With a stiffer sidewall like on the MPS4S or the XL version of MPSS, the turn-in most probably will become even more crisp.
So many options, choices, decisions to make. Have you changed your rubber since this?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f-2015-present/871000-rcf-1-4-mile-issues.html

*Not you Rolla, OP.
Old 05-20-18, 12:36 PM
e2dag
Driver School Candidate

Default Mps4s

I'm on MPS4S's with 265/35 front and 285/35 on rear. Traction is fantastic on hard launches and turns. Response is really close to stock. I do however, notice understeer just a little more than before. Still handles great though. I have a set of Swift springs I have yet to put on because I'm not sure if I'll get any rub with these tires.
Old 05-20-18, 08:59 PM
johnnyreb
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, I Don't think it's going to make THAT MUCH Difference either way, even IF you put a SC on it! SMDH!
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyreb For This Useful Post:
GunnyFitz (05-22-18)
Old 05-22-18, 08:16 AM
ninten5
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS View Post
While 275 mm might be the widest allowable for 9 inch wheels, it is not optimal at all. That is what I was saying. The tire will bulge out on 9 inch wheels on the sides. There is nothing wrong with it and will work fine. Just that it will roll on the sidewalls more and turn-in will become "spongy" rather than "crisp" which is achieved by having the wheel a bit wider than the size of tire you are using.
I SOOO agree with this statement. I listened to the CL folks and the FB F group about them swearing how awesome 275 width tires are on stock wheels. WRONG. The turn in is not crispy like it was with the stock tires. In a straight line, yes, I do get better traction. But I like to carry more speed in corners rather than do 1 or 2nd gear pulls.
Old 05-22-18, 08:49 AM
GunnyFitz
Pole Position

Question Question

Originally Posted by ninten5 View Post
I SOOO agree with this statement. I listened to the CL folks and the FB F group about them swearing how awesome 275 width tires are on stock wheels. WRONG. The turn in is not crispy like it was with the stock tires. In a straight line, yes, I do get better traction. But I like to carry more speed in corners rather than do 1 or 2nd gear pulls.
Are you talking about a RCF or your ISF?

Happen to be in Northern VA by chance?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: