RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Most aggressive rear tire setup for TRACTION!!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 12:53 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So any ideas? I'm not getting great responses here lol I'm looking for something atleast 305 width. I'm being told that will fit on the stock rear wheels. I want something super grippy. Toyo r888 or nitto nt05r? Something like a street radial but would like to get atleast 10k miles out of them.
Old 05-27-18, 01:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD
So any ideas? I'm not getting great responses here lol I'm looking for something atleast 305 width. I'm being told that will fit on the stock rear wheels. I want something super grippy. Toyo r888 or nitto nt05r? Something like a street radial but would like to get atleast 10k miles out of them.
I would stick with stock size and go with stickier tires (drag radials). More width means, more rotational mass. While it will give you better grip, the added rotational weight slows the engine down.

Besides, too much grip puts too much load on the driveshaft and can break it. Better to allow some wheel spin rather than putting all of the load on the driveshaft.
Old 05-27-18, 02:13 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I ran 305/30/19 Mickey S/S for 5000 miles. They were far more confident in corners than any of the other tires I've run (michelin, toyo, yokohama, etc). They also got me the closest to the claimed 12.5 second quarter mile time at 12.6 seconds.

Last edited by Suburbazin; 05-27-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 06:05 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I would stick with stock size and go with stickier tires (drag radials). More width means, more rotational mass. While it will give you better grip, the added rotational weight slows the engine down.

Besides, too much grip puts too much load on the driveshaft and can break it. Better to allow some wheel spin rather than putting all of the load on the driveshaft.
Thanks for your recommendation man but i like the look of wider tires. The justification you made , doesnt do it for me. Yes wider tires mean more weight but the "weight" is not slowing the engine down, more grip will actually allow me to put down the power that's all. Not concerned with driveshaft yet plenty of people running aggressive setups with no issues yet. I think the driveshaft is pretty stout but I could be wrong lol.
Old 05-27-18, 06:08 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by Suburbazin
I ran 305/30/19 Mickey S/S for 5000 miles. They were far more confident in corners than any of the other tires I've run (michelin, toyo, yokohama, etc). They also got me the closest to the claimed 12.5 second quarter mile time at 12.6 seconds.
Damn man this is the info I'm looking for! You hit 12.6 completely stock besides tires? How aggressive do you hit corners? I'm suprised to hear good cornering with them. You only got 5000 miles out of them or you currently have 5000 on them?
Old 05-27-18, 06:12 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

I'm not finding anything on a 305/30/19 Mickey ss?
Old 05-27-18, 06:35 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

I'm not finding anything on a 305/30/19 Mickey ss?
Sorry, 305/35R19

GOT8SPD,
I only got 5000 effective miles out of them. Could have likely gone much further if I wasn't using them to prep the launch lanes. I actually ran them to about 7000 miles but they were dangerously low on tread and I hydroplaned into a ditch one morning. As far as cornering- I pitch the car till it starts to slide. G-force meter showed 1.3 left/right...that was before the front tires came loose. 12.6 was completely stock (50*F, -1200DA I think), being able to fully kill traction control and still not break the tires loose on launch and shift is the deciding factor. Any street tire spins on launch and the 1-2. As far as shaving off the last tenth? Lexus had to be running a custom tune.

Last edited by Suburbazin; 05-27-18 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 05:02 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Sorry, 305/35R19

GOT8SPD,
I only got 5000 effective miles out of them. Could have likely gone much further if I wasn't using them to prep the launch lanes. I actually ran them to about 7000 miles but they were dangerously low on tread and I hydroplaned into a ditch one morning. As far as cornering- I pitch the car till it starts to slide. G-force meter showed 1.3 left/right...that was before the front tires came loose. 12.6 was completely stock (50*F, -1200DA I think), being able to fully kill traction control and still not break the tires loose on launch and shift is the deciding factor. Any street tire spins on launch and the 1-2. As far as shaving off the last tenth? Lexus had to be running a custom tune.
Hmm.. thought it wasnt recomended to to above 2.5% diameter increase? Does this cause any issue? Also wouldn't it increase ride height in the rear? I'm lowered on swift springs and think height is perfect. Idk If I would like the look, if it would even fit. Do you got more pics?
Old 05-28-18, 09:21 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Sorry, 305/35R19

GOT8SPD,
Also, was that with burnout?
Old 06-01-18, 12:32 AM
Suburbazin
Driver

Hmm.. thought it wasnt recomended to to above 2.5% diameter increase? Does this cause any issue? Also wouldn't it increase ride height in the rear? I'm lowered on swift springs and think height is perfect. Idk If I would like the look, if it would even fit. Do you got more pics?
The ride height doesn't change, especially if you run at slightly lower pressures (I ran at 30psi most of the time). The "mathematical" difference is 3.1%, in reality I saw the exact same road speed as with stock tires. The tires clear the fender lip since it's rolled, but I'm not sure how a lowering kit would affect clearance on the inner wells. I'll see if I can scrounge up some more pics.

Also, was that with burnout?
Yes, that's with a burnout. Cold launches are ehhh, about as good as a street tire but they will still spin. Burnout only needs 2 seconds (if you see smoke cloud you've done it too long) and it'll be super sticky.
Old 06-01-18, 11:47 AM
GOT8SPD
Driver

The ride height doesn't change, especially if you run at slightly lower pressures (I ran at 30psi most of the time). The "mathematical" difference is 3.1%, in reality I saw the exact same road speed as with stock tires. The tires clear the fender lip since it's rolled, but I'm not sure how a lowering kit would affect clearance on the inner wells. I'll see if I can scrounge up some more pics.

Yes, that's with a burnout. Cold launches are ehhh, about as good as a street tire but they will still spin. Burnout only needs 2 seconds (if you see smoke cloud you've done it too long) and it'll be super sticky.
Hmm. I'm not sure it it will fit on springs. Hopefully someone else could chime in? I'd be down to do this if it would fit. Figured I'd have to drop down to 30 aspect ratio to fit..
Old 06-05-18, 11:53 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

On stock rims as Lou has pointed out your best with 295 35 in the rear. Get a 10.5 or 11 inch width wheel and then get 305 30s
if you go with ps4 tires, get the version with stiff sidewalls. It has an x xl or some sort of marker that differentiates it from the regular soft side wall version.
Old 06-20-18, 07:51 AM
Suburbazin
Driver

PS4S 305/30

Old 06-20-18, 08:13 AM
GOT8SPD
Driver

PS4S 305/30

Are you lowered? I'm debating between aspect of 30 or 35.. I wanna go MT street ss, but am concerned about rubbing. I feel like ps4s wouldnt have the traction I'm looking for. Looks like a 305 fits on stock wheel with no issues... despite people saying otherwise. People with ISF... LOL
Old 06-20-18, 08:39 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Oh no. U put a 305 on a 10inch wheel?!?!

Quick Reply: Most aggressive rear tire setup for TRACTION!!??