RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2 swapped parts, new sound ...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 07:50 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2 swapped parts, new sound ...now what?

So I swapped out the bad part when I heard the "blow dryer" sound from under the seat, then I swapped out the bad fuel pump a month ago or so, and now I have a new noise at idle. It sounds like you turn on a hose, and barely let the water through while restricting it with your hand, making that humming squeal. I can only hear it at idle, as the exhaust will take over. What in the world!?!? Now what's the issue? For fawk sake, I love this car ...but she's making me hate her at the same time. If the dealership wasn't 50min away I wouldn't care as much, but that makes it harder on me. I drove her 2 days in a row on the freeway for about 1.5hours with heavy traffic, and on the 2nd day of that heavy commute it started happening.

Anybody have this sound after those 2 swaps on parts?

Cheers,
Old 05-10-18, 09:47 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Did you get your recall work done? Two HPFP are replaced under the recall and they both happen to be under the hood. Not the one in the rear.
Old 05-10-18, 10:25 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Did you get your recall work done? Two HPFP are replaced under the recall and they both happen to be under the hood. Not the one in the rear.
Heya RollaXRS!! Yes, I did do the recall on March 20th. I did the rear one quite awhile ago. What gives mate? I mean I thought I was golden, as I jumped on it right away to do the recall. Think it's related? Does my description of the sounds make sense, or possibly others have heard it too?
Old 05-10-18, 10:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
Heya RollaXRS!! Yes, I did do the recall on March 20th. I did the rear one quite awhile ago. What gives mate? I mean I thought I was golden, as I jumped on it right away to do the recall. Think it's related? Does my description of the sounds make sense, or possibly others have heard it too?
Certainly sounds like something is not right. Yeah, your squealing noise makes sense. I am wondering if your serpentine belt is causing it? If you can make a video of it, it will give people a better understanding of how it sounds in real life. The symptoms sure point in that direction. You will have to take it to the dealership, unfortunately.
Old 05-10-18, 10:43 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Let me see if I can get a good sound clip of it in the morning.

You been good man? I've been a little MIA on the forums lately, busy with work and family. But I still shadow and read what's going on when I can. Thanks for the feedback man. I always appreciate it!!
Old 05-10-18, 10:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Let me see if I can get a good sound clip of it in the morning.

You been good man? I've been a little MIA on the forums lately, busy with work and family. But I still shadow and read what's going on when I can. Thanks for the feedback man. I always appreciate it!!
Yeah, RCF is doing great. Same here. Busy with family life and other things. RCF gets driven 1 to 2 times a week, but it sure is fun as hell every time we go out in the RCF. It is truly a treat and therapeutic.
Old 05-11-18, 03:34 PM
Apaul
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So I swapped out the bad part when I heard the "blow dryer" sound from under the seat, then I swapped out the bad fuel pump a month ago or so, and now I have a new noise at idle. It sounds like you turn on a hose, and barely let the water through while restricting it with your hand, making that humming squeal. I can only hear it at idle, as the exhaust will take over. What in the world!?!? Now what's the issue? For fawk sake, I love this car ...but she's making me hate her at the same time. If the dealership wasn't 50min away I wouldn't care as much, but that makes it harder on me. I drove her 2 days in a row on the freeway for about 1.5hours with heavy traffic, and on the 2nd day of that heavy commute it started happening.

Anybody have this sound after those 2 swaps on parts?

Cheers,
hey man,

i had fuel pump fail at 7500 mil and after they replaced it i got the humming sound too. It needed to receive a ecu update or software update as this is due to low voltage or something. People report improvement in throttle lag too. Hope it helps.
Old 05-14-18, 11:35 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

So the car is at the dealership right now, and they said I have a Error Code 167 right now. Which means I will be charged a fee to fix it, unless specifically stated it's under warranty. Interesting that they stated I will have to pay, so quickly but we'll see what's the issue. How much do you guys want to bet they will blame the exhaust? We will see guys.

Has anybody gotten a Error Code 167?
Old 05-15-18, 10:49 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Wow!! So the car is still at the dealership, and my rep just texted me. They said they found the noise to be related to the Lexus Bulletin, and will need to reprogram the Engine Control Module. Ummmm weren't they supposed to do that when they swapped the part for the recall? I'm just glad they know what it is, and no charge. I want my RCF back gents!!!

Nevermind, I just realized it was a separate bulletin and didn't affect all RCFs to need the reflash.

Last edited by ZiPPyRCF; 05-15-18 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 08:36 PM
dapperdj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The safety recall is for the high pressure fuel pumps. The service bulletin is to update the ecm to eliminate the noise coming from the low pressure fuel pump.
Old 05-20-18, 10:35 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dapperdj
The safety recall is for the high pressure fuel pumps. The service bulletin is to update the ecm to eliminate the noise coming from the low pressure fuel pump.

I just had my high pressure fuel pumps replaced on the recall - a few days later I started getting the back seat hum at idle. I have never had it before... This makes zero sense to me. :/
Old 05-21-18, 01:29 AM
dapperdj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BossMoss
I just had my high pressure fuel pumps replaced on the recall - a few days later I started getting the back seat hum at idle. I have never had it before... This makes zero sense to me. :/
That fix is to prevent the fuel leaks. Take it back and have them recalibrate the ecm and they will find that there is an update for it. The ecm will be updated and will eliminate the noise coming from the low pressure fuel pump and will also make the car more responsive. Print the link below and take it to the dealer:
​​​​​for https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10086282-5448.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiyy96csZbbAhXLt1MKHfmdDrcQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1eWvThiTuxr9R_mkcx7U2B