RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Will you walk away?

Old 04-14-18, 03:25 AM
DarkEye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will you walk away?

Since the release of the RCF and my mouth was drooling everytime I see one. Around a year ago I got a GTI clubsport because I was planning to use it as a daily driver.
Now after a year I am really bored of it and I want a rear wheel drive car. I found a good deal on a 2015 RCF from a private seller with low milage and a remaining warranty.
The car is clean with good history ( I have a friend who works at our lexus dealer). I wasn't planning to do a PPI as most of the shops here don't know what are they doing and you will end up by just wasting your money.
I contacted the guy and test drove the car and I was sold out.
The next day I contacted him and I gave him a deposit. This time he came with a different car. I had no problem with that just asked him to send me a copy of the car ownership.

The day after that he contacted me and said I will send it to you now but the name on it was different than his name. which he explained that his cousin bought the car for him when he was traveling. Other than that he told me he owns some expensive cars (GTR-LC500) and he use an old phone with broken screen.

Today I contacted him because I was thinking about taking the car to the dealer due to all the shady things that were happening. He said I should have contacted him earlier and so many people are calling for the car and if I wanted the deposit he will give it back. I told him no problem I don't have to take the car today and I will give him the remaining balance in couple of days.

If you were in my shoes will you take your deposit and walk away from this deal?
Old 04-14-18, 05:41 AM
Colt45ccg
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I would take my deposit and run away from this deal
Old 04-14-18, 06:44 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

If it seems kinky, it probably is kinky, The whole story makes me nervous. I would move on.
Old 04-14-18, 08:10 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Before going any further, I would ask for the VIN#, do a search, then go from there.
Old 04-14-18, 08:56 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I also purchased my RCF in a private sale from a member on this board. I would say, get your money back and run.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-18-18)
Old 04-14-18, 10:15 AM
DarkEye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob67
Before going any further, I would ask for the VIN#, do a search, then go from there.
That what I have done. Checked with the dealer and the insurance company as I have friends there. Everything was good. I only gave him 500$ and still waiting for the bank ( I am from Middle East ) everything is slow here. I am planning to check the car before finalizing the purchase.
Old 04-15-18, 03:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Gotta be careful on these transactions.

But sometimes people have their "reasons" (good and bad/legit and scams) .

As long as you do your due diligence and be extra careful, you are ok.

One thing for sure, with what you have said here......not too many people will go for this deal. Therefore the seller WILL HAVE SOME DIFFICULTY selling this car and it becomes a waiting game and the longer the process, the price tend to drop in your favor. The ultimate decision for your is: "Is this something I want to take risk in? Even with due diligence?" Who knows? It might turn out all legit and a good deal for you. It's just certain circumstances the seller is having that on the surface it looked shady. For me it would have to be some tremendous deal (like at least 50% below market) for me to take the "risk". After one month of the seller holding the deposit and still unable to deliver, then I would call it off and get my money back.

Originally Posted by DarkEye
That what I have done. Checked with the dealer and the insurance company as I have friends there. Everything was good. I only gave him 500$ and still waiting for the bank ( I am from Middle East ) everything is slow here. I am planning to check the car before finalizing the purchase.
Old 04-15-18, 09:56 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably not worth the risk even though it could be legit.

My rule when buying a car private party is that I am buying the seller just as much as I'm buying the car. If the seller seems sketchy, I run.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLexodus:
ECL (04-16-18), tdhuffman (04-16-18)
Old 04-15-18, 07:11 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BLexodus
Probably not worth the risk even though it could be legit.

My rule when buying a car private party is that I am buying the seller just as much as I'm buying the car. If the seller seems sketchy, I run.
Exactly!
.and telling us how good the deal is?! Price and milage?

V.
Old 04-16-18, 01:06 AM
DarkEye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Exactly!
.and telling us how good the deal is?! Price and milage?

V.
The car have only 15k miles and have extended warranty from the dealer till 2020. Definitely will do PPI before I collect the car from him either in the dealer or somewhere else.
Will keep you posted.
Old 04-16-18, 08:47 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would walk away. I do not like it when conditions and information changes like that.
Old 04-16-18, 01:31 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree - Strike 3.
Old 04-16-18, 10:40 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

I say contact his cousin and get more information. It COULD be an unbelievable deal....but you have to do tour homework before you end up scammed.

V.
Old 04-17-18, 01:13 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Its got to have money owing somewhere, beware
Old 04-18-18, 04:19 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs down

Well, you posted the question my friend. It appears the consensus here among us Members is that you do what your title says.......
Walk Away.. (And truly find yourself a reputable seller)

I realize that CA is a long way from you, but I've spoken with the owner of this car about some of the aftermarket options he has. THIS is the type of Seller you should be looking for IMHO.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...xxx-miles.html

Its probably a 12-15 hour trip for you Im guessing, but if this car is attractive to you, hit him up!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will you walk away?