Wheel decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 12:41 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Wheel decision

Hi guys,
In a dilemma between two sets of wheels. I narrowed it down to Vorsteiner 101s or Vossen CVT. I like the design of the CVT, but is Vossen a good wheel brand? I work around cars and a lot of my clients tell me to get the Vorsteiner because the quality of Vossen is not good. Insights will be great, thanks!
Old 04-02-18, 01:21 PM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

The Vorsteiner V-FF 101 is a flow formed wheel which is going to be lighter and stronger than cast wheels like the Vossen CVT.

Now if you're comparing Vossen VFS or HF series with Vorsteiner's V-FF series... it all comes down to what you like in design... and price. If you decide on the Vorsteiner, best to move now since it's low on inventory for the front wheels.
Old 04-02-18, 04:54 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GetUrWheel
The Vorsteiner V-FF 101 is a flow formed wheel which is going to be lighter and stronger than cast wheels like the Vossen CVT.

Now if you're comparing Vossen VFS or HF series with Vorsteiner's V-FF series... it all comes down to what you like in design... and price. If you decide on the Vorsteiner, best to move now since it's low on inventory for the front wheels.
Thanks man. Guess you sell Vorsteiners? Can you quote me a good price.
Old 04-02-18, 05:13 PM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

I sell both!. I'll quote you for both shipped to you.
Old 04-02-18, 05:23 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

I wouldnt trust a vossen on the track...
Old 04-03-18, 04:45 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Requesting An Assist

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your Thread here "Spam" - Rather than post another thread searching for advice on wheels, I'm hoping to gain some insight on your selections. I'm a firm believer in "Paying It Forward" ya know?
There are some great Members here who've helped me out already - You ok w me tagging along here Spam?

How did you narrow it down to these two Wheels out of all the others out there buddy?

Were there any other brands you looked at, if so, which?

Would you mind sharing the year and color of your ride, and did that also tie into the choices you came to?

I am all over the place playing w the awesome Wheel Configurators (which I admit is fun) and will pull up your choices to take a look now. BC is one I like too.

Any advice from you and the forum is deeply appreciated!

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 04-03-18 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 07:01 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I can tell you that wheel manufacturers like Vossen have many different types of wheels, and quality is dependent of which line you select and what you want them for. they have wheels from the low hundreds to over couple thousand dollars, and that determine the quality of what you get. they have some cheap low quality wheels made overseas, and they have very high quality wheels made in house in Miami, FL. so only because of their name is on it does not determine the real quality of all their wheels. with that said, I have own wheels from many manufacturers in the last 35 years, I'm currently running on Vossen VPS series for over a year with no issues at all.

I have not used Vorsteiner, but I'm sure that the same applies to their wheels.

the Vossen CVT I will only recommend for a car that will be driven on nice roads! no track (basically, just for looks) in your case the Vorsteiner are a little better that the Vossen CVT, not because of the brand or manufacturer, but because of the specific wheels you are looking into.
The following 2 users liked this post by luislopezt:
GetUrWheel (04-03-18), GunnyFitz (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 07:37 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GetUrWheel
I sell both!. I'll quote you for both shipped to you.
Thanks Josh, do you have 19s in Vorsteiners? If so, what would be the cost. I want to transfer my tires to my wheels so..

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
I wouldnt trust a vossen on the track...
I don't track just plan on beautifying the lexus rc-f even more lol!

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your Thread here "Spam" - Rather than post another thread searching for advice on wheels, I'm hoping to gain some insight on your selections. I'm a firm believer in "Paying It Forward" ya know?
There are some great Members here who've helped me out already - You ok w me tagging along here Spam?

How did you narrow it down to these two Wheels out of all the others out there buddy?

Were there any other brands you looked at, if so, which?

Would you mind sharing the year and color of your ride, and did that also tie into the choices you came to?

I am all over the place playing w the awesome Wheel Configurators (which I admit is fun) and will pull up your choices to take a look now. BC is one I like too.

Any advice from you and the forum is deeply appreciated!
Hey man thanks for the thorough feedback. I professionally detail for a living and one of the guys told me about the Vossen CVT and how it would look nice on the car. I did some research and it does indeed look good. I have other clients that tell me that Vossen are pretty bad in quality but their design is top notch. I had a m3 come in with a vorsteiner vff101 wheel and they look so good! I looked at TE37s and also BC forged wheels. I also looked at HRE ff04 and they look pretty good as well. I want something that looks really good with good concavity. Do you recommend any other wheels? I looked at BC forged wheels and although they look good, people tell me they are very heavy. I have a 2017 White with red leather RCF.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by luislopezt
I can tell you that wheel manufacturers like Vossen have many different types of wheels, and quality is dependent of which line you select and what you want them for. they have wheels from the low hundreds to over couple thousand dollars, and that determine the quality of what you get. they have some cheap low quality wheels made overseas, and they have very high quality wheels made in house in Miami, FL. so only because of their name is on it does not determine the real quality of all their wheels. with that said, I have own wheels from many manufacturers in the last 35 years, I'm currently running on Vossen VPS series for over a year with no issues at all.

I have not used Vorsteiner, but I'm sure that the same applies to their wheels.

the Vossen CVT I will only recommend for a car that will be driven on nice roads! no track (basically, just for looks) in your case the Vorsteiner are a little better that the Vossen CVT, not because of the brand or manufacturer, but because of the specific wheels you are looking into.
Thanks man the roads in PA can be night and day. Long time ago, I had linea corse lc818 on my lexus is350 and all four of them started cracking. I guess CVT is out of my sight as of now but I was looking at Vorsteiner vff101 or 103s. Also I really love the styling of the Linea corse lc818 so if there is any other brand of wheels you recommend that have good concavity with that kind of design, that will be great!
Old 04-04-18, 05:22 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thumbs up Vossen & Personal Story

"Hey man thanks for the thorough feedback. I professionally detail for a living and one of the guys told me about the Vossen CVT and how it would look nice on the car. I did some research and it does indeed look good. I have other clients that tell me that Vossen are pretty bad in quality but their design is top notch. I had a m3 come in with a vorsteiner vff101 wheel and they look so good! I looked at TE37s and also BC forged wheels. I also looked at HRE ff04 and they look pretty good as well. I want something that looks really good with good concavity. Do you recommend any other wheels? I looked at BC forged wheels and although they look good, people tell me they are very heavy. I have a 2017 White with red leather RCF.
Thanks man!
"

Had mine tinted last nite and the guy who did it works out of an Auto Shop that sells Vossen wheels. I spent a good deal of time talking w the Owner about how these wheels are made. He showed me their "Hybrid Series" which I must admit I was pretty drawn to the new HF-1 & Models VF-5 & VF-6 as well.

http://vossenwheels.com/wheels/?fwp_...-forged-series

Anyone with "connections" from prior buys - please post or PM me on a source if possible.

A fellow Member here told me about how nice his Continentals ride compared to the Pilots.
Realizing that one could put together hundreds of Wheel & Tire packages, I seriously need a place to start. The one thing I was not too impressed with while talking to the Owner last nite was that he was almost reluctant (or didnt know) to determine the exact Offsets for Vossens. All he said was "Oh, once you pick a style / model, Vossen will figure all that out based upon your current OEM setup." - which I suppose is true, but he almost didnt want me to know. lol

*Hope you all don't mind a quick End to this story.
When I arrived, the Tint Guy was finishing up on a Honda for another Customer who standing there chatting. Since I have a Service Dog (Russell) , it ALWAYS brings alot of conversation and curiosity - something I've dealt w for 6 years now. I usually just say that he's a PTSD Service Dog and leave it at that, despite the instant curiosity
this brings on. You wouldn't believe the crap I've gone thru on this subject! The other Customer was respectful and we exchanged casual conversation on Russell and the issue of Legal Tint vs Illegal in the Commonwealth of Virginia, etc.

Anyway, the other customer stated he worked for the Govt in some "Emergency Medical Service Agency" or something. As he pulled out past me we casually waved to each other as I was pulling my car into the bay. Two minutes after I got myself and Dog out of car the Tint Guy said to me..."Um, just want to let you know that the guy who just left paid for your Tint job and said to tell you Thanks for your Service." - I was so incredibly overcome w shock and disbelief that the blood drained from my head making me dizzy. Part of my personal PTSD symptoms involve whats called "Unmanageable Emotions" which can range from severe anger, fear, depression, etc. When he told me that the guy paid for my $200 Tint job I instantly broke down in inconsolable tears, overwhelmed with such a kind and generous act of a total stranger whom I had a mere 15 minute conversation with. I'd like to think of myself as pretty humble and not waving the Flag on everything I do. I'm still floored by this., and though I cannot even thank this gentleman in person, I begged the Tint guy to do so for me.

Sorry if that was wayyyy too personal to share on your thread Spam. Just thought it would show that there truly are some extremely thoughtful and kind people out there. As I've said to another Member who truly assisted in my acquisition of this awesome car, I honestly believe in "Paying It Forward" in life. Thanks for taking the time to read this novel and hoping you don't wish you could have the last 5 minutes back after doing so!

Semper Fidelis!

Gunny

The following users liked this post:
GetUrWheel (04-04-18)
Old 04-04-18, 06:28 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I've had a great experience with Jason at getyourwheels. He will help get the setup just right at a good price. Just let him know what you want and the price range and he will give you the options.

The HF-1 look nice - also check out the CV7.
The following 2 users liked this post by SoSlow:
GetUrWheel (04-04-18), GunnyFitz (04-04-18)
Old 04-04-18, 07:23 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

"Hey man thanks for the thorough feedback. I professionally detail for a living and one of the guys told me about the Vossen CVT and how it would look nice on the car. I did some research and it does indeed look good. I have other clients that tell me that Vossen are pretty bad in quality but their design is top notch. I had a m3 come in with a vorsteiner vff101 wheel and they look so good! I looked at TE37s and also BC forged wheels. I also looked at HRE ff04 and they look pretty good as well. I want something that looks really good with good concavity. Do you recommend any other wheels? I looked at BC forged wheels and although they look good, people tell me they are very heavy. I have a 2017 White with red leather RCF.
Thanks man!
"

Had mine tinted last nite and the guy who did it works out of an Auto Shop that sells Vossen wheels. I spent a good deal of time talking w the Owner about how these wheels are made. He showed me their "Hybrid Series" which I must admit I was pretty drawn to the new HF-1 & Models VF-5 & VF-6 as well.

http://vossenwheels.com/wheels/?fwp_...-forged-series

Anyone with "connections" from prior buys - please post or PM me on a source if possible.

A fellow Member here told me about how nice his Continentals ride compared to the Pilots.
Realizing that one could put together hundreds of Wheel & Tire packages, I seriously need a place to start. The one thing I was not too impressed with while talking to the Owner last nite was that he was almost reluctant (or didnt know) to determine the exact Offsets for Vossens. All he said was "Oh, once you pick a style / model, Vossen will figure all that out based upon your current OEM setup." - which I suppose is true, but he almost didnt want me to know. lol

*Hope you all don't mind a quick End to this story.
When I arrived, the Tint Guy was finishing up on a Honda for another Customer who standing there chatting. Since I have a Service Dog (Russell) , it ALWAYS brings alot of conversation and curiosity - something I've dealt w for 6 years now. I usually just say that he's a PTSD Service Dog and leave it at that, despite the instant curiosity
this brings on. You wouldn't believe the crap I've gone thru on this subject! The other Customer was respectful and we exchanged casual conversation on Russell and the issue of Legal Tint vs Illegal in the Commonwealth of Virginia, etc.

Anyway, the other customer stated he worked for the Govt in some "Emergency Medical Service Agency" or something. As he pulled out past me we casually waved to each other as I was pulling my car into the bay. Two minutes after I got myself and Dog out of car the Tint Guy said to me..."Um, just want to let you know that the guy who just left paid for your Tint job and said to tell you Thanks for your Service." - I was so incredibly overcome w shock and disbelief that the blood drained from my head making me dizzy. Part of my personal PTSD symptoms involve whats called "Unmanageable Emotions" which can range from severe anger, fear, depression, etc. When he told me that the guy paid for my $200 Tint job I instantly broke down in inconsolable tears, overwhelmed with such a kind and generous act of a total stranger whom I had a mere 15 minute conversation with. I'd like to think of myself as pretty humble and not waving the Flag on everything I do. I'm still floored by this., and though I cannot even thank this gentleman in person, I begged the Tint guy to do so for me.

Sorry if that was wayyyy too personal to share on your thread Spam. Just thought it would show that there truly are some extremely thoughtful and kind people out there. As I've said to another Member who truly assisted in my acquisition of this awesome car, I honestly believe in "Paying It Forward" in life. Thanks for taking the time to read this novel and hoping you don't wish you could have the last 5 minutes back after doing so!

Semper Fidelis!

Gunny

Wow, that was awesome that he paid for your tint job.

As for wheels, BC forged wheels (http://www.bcforged-na.com/) are lightweight that you can customize anyway you want. They are some of the best bang for your buck and I would have gone with them if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on my AVS wheels. You will pay more for the better quality forged wheels but it is worth it. I have some other options for wheels for you if you want to ping me about it.
Old 04-04-18, 08:42 AM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

If you guys want a forged wheel for a great price, also check out VS Forged. You can't beat $2,600 shipped to US48 for a full forged monoblock wheel at 21-22lbs per wheel. Best part is, you guys can get that 20X10 front with 20X11 rear setup for the best fitment for the RC-F. Could even go with OEM sizes if you guys like.
GunnyFitz (04-04-18)
Old 04-04-18, 09:01 AM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spam89
Thanks Josh, do you have 19s in Vorsteiners? If so, what would be the cost. I want to transfer my tires to my wheels so..
The only 19" setup they have is the V-FF 103.
Old 04-04-18, 10:13 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Wow, that was awesome that he paid for your tint job.

As for wheels, BC forged wheels (http://www.bcforged-na.com/) are lightweight that you can customize anyway you want. They are some of the best bang for your buck and I would have gone with them if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on my AVS wheels. You will pay more for the better quality forged wheels but it is worth it. I have some other options for wheels for you if you want to ping me about it.
Brother if I told you the offer BC made to me yesterday you would literally fall out of your chair! Only issue I have is that I'd be required to slam it and use coil overs and all sorts of other stuff that isn't compatible w our electronics.

Will look into them both. Hey Josh, if you don't mind shooting me some ideas on 20s Right now I'm still in my "Decision Phase" like the OP Spam is - unless he went and pulled the trigger on those Vorsteiner 101s or Vossen CVTs??????

What say you Spam??

**Just looked at the VS Forged Website - Havent seen such a horrible setup since the early 90s !! Geez!

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 04-04-18 at 10:50 AM.
GetUrWheel (04-04-18)
Old 04-04-18, 10:21 AM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Brother if I told you the offer BC made to me yesterday you would literally fall out of your chair! Only issue I have is that I'd be required to slam it and use coil overs and all sorts of other stuff that isn't compatible w our electronics.

Will look into them both. Hey Jason, if you don't mind shooting me some ideas on 20s Right now I'm still in my "Decision Phase" like the OP Spam is - unless he went and pulled the trigger on those Vorsteiner 101s or Vossen CVTs??????

What say you Spam??
Let's not forget about Avant Garde M621! They also have a rotational wheel design similar to the Vossen CVT or even the Stance SF01 wheels. Both the M621 and the SF01 is a rotary forged wheel so you do get a lighter wheel than the CVT from the rotary forged barrels.
GunnyFitz (04-04-18)

Quick Reply: Wheel decision