RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 10:47 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Until the temperature drops below 40F (yes, I have these on my IS), then they're scary compared to warmer temperatures.
Interesting...
I've had the P4s for about 6,000 miles and I drove a little bit during last week (Atlanta) and it wasn't noticeably different. How is it scary in your opinion, like what specifically does it do/change? Genuinely curious.
Old 01-24-18, 12:58 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Sticker on the car at dealership states warning for 15000 miles before new tires needed. The new michelin pilot sport 4s are a better tire and the replacement of the pilot super sports.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...sport-4s-test/

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/mi...t-super-sport/

I got about 20K on the Michelin's on my RCF.

Last edited by finny76; 01-26-18 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-25-18, 12:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Interesting...
I've had the P4s for about 6,000 miles and I drove a little bit during last week (Atlanta) and it wasn't noticeably different. How is it scary in your opinion, like what specifically does it do/change? Genuinely curious.
Front end chatter on tight turns, and the rear end very tail happy compared to warmer temperatures.
The following users liked this post:
MisterEun (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 03:02 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerune
I swapped out to Pilot Sports A/S 3+ and no complaints. I'm surprised there's not a handful of people going this route.
How long have you had them? I've had 2 sets on my IS300 and 1 set on my ISF. Total of about 35,000 miles. They were great (for an all season tire) for about 7500 miles, then they became dangerous on cold and slightly snowy roads. So I switched to DWS06 on the F (still have AS3 on the IS300 unfortunately). AS3 have good dry traction tho.
Old 01-25-18, 03:33 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexicon72
How long have you had them? I've had 2 sets on my IS300 and 1 set on my ISF. Total of about 35,000 miles. They were great (for an all season tire) for about 7500 miles, then they became dangerous on cold and slightly snowy roads. So I switched to DWS06 on the F (still have AS3 on the IS300 unfortunately). AS3 have good dry traction tho.
Does that mean you averaged ~12k miles per set? Is that due to wear or reliability after the 7,500 miles? I just got them on 3 weeks ago. My city hits 40 degree weather but no danger of snowing. My summer PSS were making it difficult to keep the car straight in the winter but no problems with these so far.
Old 01-28-18, 07:20 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

My total numbers may be a bit off since using my memory instead of my spreadsheet.
I pretty much got about 17k on the AS3s on both the is300 (easy daily driving by my daughter now) and the ISF (which also had 2-3 track events). I pushed my DWS06 to about 20k miles (+ 1 track day) before replacing.
I went to take my daughter in the IS300 (about 8k on AS3s) to practice in the parking lot after a very light snow. Made it half way before deciding it was too slick. Went back home and hopped in the F (DWS) and let her play.
Old 01-29-18, 11:39 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been running the Michelin PSS exclusively. We don't have many really cold days here so that is not really an issue. I got well over 25K on the first OE set and looks like it will be about the same on the current set. So that is pretty good, I would go through a set in 18K on my G37, which is a little puzzling because that is a lighter car but maybe the camber is set up differently on that car, not sure. And I am definitely not a conservative driver, regularly spin the rears on acceleration, squeal around corners, etc. Therefore, unless we relocate to a real winter location, I plan to continue with PSS since they are unbeatable (in my book) for performance and price.
Old 01-29-18, 01:11 PM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info on the Pilot Sports A/S 3+. I just picked up a used ISF that is wearing a set of those with about 14,000 miles on them. Probably have 4/32"-6/32" left on the rears and have decent traction, however when the power comes on the tail gets lose. With the comments above, I am thinking these might be near the end of their serviceable life.

I was excited the F had PSS in the appropriate sizes and was thinking this is the way to go and found this thread. Good to see the discussion on other options. I know this thing will go through tires regardless of what I choose, but am looking for something that is fairly consistent. Might just be that the A/S 3+ are consistent up until 12-15K, then nada.
Old 01-29-18, 02:21 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I got these on my RCF with less than 1500 miles so far.

A couple of weeks ago, there was snow in most of MS. In snow, it's all right. But there were multiple areas with pure ice as most of MS does not salt its roads at all. So I WAS SKATING on ice and had to keep it below 20 mph. Even under 20 mph on side roads with pure ice, I could not make it out of a side road with only a slight incline. I decided to wait until the sun came out next morning so I can proceed safely.

On ice, all bets are OFF.

Originally Posted by stunts
Good info on the Pilot Sports A/S 3+. I just picked up a used ISF that is wearing a set of those with about 14,000 miles on them. Probably have 4/32"-6/32" left on the rears and have decent traction, however when the power comes on the tail gets lose. With the comments above, I am thinking these might be near the end of their serviceable life.

I was excited the F had PSS in the appropriate sizes and was thinking this is the way to go and found this thread. Good to see the discussion on other options. I know this thing will go through tires regardless of what I choose, but am looking for something that is fairly consistent. Might just be that the A/S 3+ are consistent up until 12-15K, then nada.
Old 01-29-18, 07:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
...On ice, all bets are OFF.
Yes indeed. Even studded tires have less than spectacular grip on ice. That's a lot of what the folks in the snow belt don't understand about the south. We don't get 3 or 4 inches that packs nicely and works well with snow tires. We get freezing rain, followed by heavy wet snow that packs into sheets of ice, and only rarely do we see additional snowfall (as we did in Iowa when I was a kid) to make the roads navigable until the trucks get out with sand and salt.
Old 01-29-18, 07:51 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

And a couple of weeks ago I was trying to get on the interstate to go to North further up in MS/TN. The troopers blocked the on ramp and closed it bc way too many people end up in the ditches (cars, 4WD pickups, ALL WHEEL drive SUV's, semi-trucks, Jeeps, and etc......NO MATCH for the ice). Although I did see a G Wagen sliding into the median at around 25 mph and he continued going parrelle the interstate for about a quarter mile maintaining at a low rate of speed and then came back up onto the pavement going the same direction. Lucky for him......if he had turned too much he would have rolled for sure.

Yes indeed. Even studded tires have less than spectacular grip on ice. That's a lot of what the folks in the snow belt don't understand about the south. We don't get 3 or 4 inches that packs nicely and works well with snow tires. We get freezing rain, followed by heavy wet snow that packs into sheets of ice, and only rarely do we see additional snowfall (as we did in Iowa when I was a kid) to make the roads navigable until the trucks get out with sand and salt.
Old 01-30-18, 07:49 AM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, agreed. the light snow here in the south is the easy part, its when it melts and freezes at night that things get interesting.

Not expecting any sort of capability on ice, but something that is more resistant to the cold. Summer tires in 40F and lower are just like ice, at least my old Bridgestones were. Just got to decide is the other 11 months out of the year are worth the reduced grip.