RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Navigation Maps in my New RC F

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 12:45 PM
madmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation Maps in my New RC F

bought a new RC F in December. It’s a 2017. Map on navigation shows it is dated June 16. I have asked for the updated Maps to be installed....am I stuck with the 2016 version or should I get the updated maps for free as I just bought this.... going back and forth with dealer to see if they will do this without a cost. Apparently it’s up to $400 to do if you have to pay.
Old 01-10-18, 04:08 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by madmac
bought a new RC F in December. It’s a 2017. Map on navigation shows it is dated June 16. I have asked for the updated Maps to be installed....am I stuck with the 2016 version or should I get the updated maps for free as I just bought this.... going back and forth with dealer to see if they will do this without a cost. Apparently it’s up to $400 to do if you have to pay.
Congrats and welcome. If you can I would try, but at the same time not sure if the map had changed much in your area to really provide any additional or useful information. Wouldn't be worth to get too worked up about it.
Also I would think the 16 would be loaded because they didn't have a 17 version at the time your car was produced.

I am not sure how you use your car but honestly the navigation is so slow to input that I just pair Bluetooth and use Waze or Google maps. The audio turn by turn is good enough for me and you get more accurate traffic routing. Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
madmac (01-10-18)
Old 01-10-18, 04:10 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes, people are gonna say..."but I paid for the navigation...blah blah" but I think I paid for the ML. Navi was just a bonus.
Old 01-10-18, 04:24 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I seldom use the my OEM navigation functions (except to view the map) in my RCF, overall it sucks.. Waze is faster and since I am streaming Bluetooth for music the voice comes over the speakers for Waze. The traffic updates in the OEM unit are slow and 30-45 minutes out of sync with reality and the reroutes don't work well because the traffic data is so old, the unit is a pain to enter an address in even the voice commands. Waze works the first time every time for me and traffic and reroutes are always up to date.

I do use the OEM maps while listening to the Waze route/directions, as the screen is "slightly" bigger than my phone for that purpose.. But this being the 4th vehicle from 3 different manufacturers that I have had OEM GPS in, and the 4th that I have found to be worthless (not counting the 2 my wife has had that have also been worthless).

as for map updates, generally speaking the OEM updates are 2 years out of date typically, so even though your SD chip might be from 2016, the reality is the map data except for POI is probably from late 2014 early 2015. POI data is better, and usually the only update in the newer $300 SD chip, and even that is out of date.. My wife's 2017 Camry Navigation which came with a 2017 SD chip doesn't have a massive new mall that is around the corner from us and has been open since 2015, it still lists the area as the old Rockwell Aerospace Factory which actually was demolished in 2010, none of the POI restaurants, stores, etc. are listed in the OEM database even though they were there 2 years before the data on the map chip, but Waze and even Apple maps have them..
madmac (01-10-18)
Old 01-10-18, 04:39 PM
madmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the responses. Agree It’s not that big a deal. The dealer did say they do have a newer version, so I will continue to check with them, but will let it go if it becomes contentious....
Old 01-12-18, 02:31 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know what comes of this. I picked up my car on 12/31 and just noticed that my maps are from June '16 as well. I don't think the dealer would give it to me tho. The salesperson was pretty angry as I might have over-negotiated.
Old 01-12-18, 04:23 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Where do you guys check the map dates ? Thank you
Old 01-12-18, 09:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

In todays world, IMO using a vehicles builtin navigation system is just plain silly. A phone in a good holder, I use a Kuda mount, is just so much better for so many reasons. I mainly use Google Navigation in conjunction with Google Maps. But, unlike in-car nav, there are many choices. The only use for in car nav, again IMO, is to identify local streets in the vehicles vicinity.

Lou
Old 01-15-18, 06:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
In todays world, IMO using a vehicles builtin navigation system is just plain silly. A phone in a good holder, I use a Kuda mount, is just so much better for so many reasons. I mainly use Google Navigation in conjunction with Google Maps. But, unlike in-car nav, there are many choices. The only use for in car nav, again IMO, is to identify local streets in the vehicles vicinity.

Lou
+1. I haven't used nav in my IS in years, and the GS I only tried just to say I've tried it. My Samsung S8+ is ridiculously better with a wide range of options for which app I want to use. I really thing the car manufacturers should abandon this and just provide a BT or USB interface to put the phone's display on a fixed screen. I'd be a million times happier.
talltrini1 (01-24-18)