RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Can RR racing tune make RCF pop and crackle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 02:00 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyz10
Mercedes AMG's have excellent crackles and pops even with their stock exhaust. My RC F is lame and will be replacing it soon with an AMG! Hate my exhaust...
Wow, you didn't know the sound of the stock exhaust before you got your RCF?
Old 05-14-19, 06:23 PM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Im thinking about getting the RR racing tune for my rcf i see it listed for $499. Does anyone have any experience with getting just the tune? All i have done is the resonator delete and i dont want it any louder due to my commute. Is it worth it without H/I/E. Is this possible? What are the power gains for just the tune?

thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-14-19, 10:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by jafsport
Im thinking about getting the RR racing tune for my rcf i see it listed for $499. Does anyone have any experience with getting just the tune? All i have done is the resonator delete and i dont want it any louder due to my commute. Is it worth it without H/I/E. Is this possible? What are the power gains for just the tune?

thanks for your feedback.
Yes, I believe RR-Tune asks you for what type of setup you have on your car (stock, E, I, I/H, I/E, I/H/E) Since resonator delete is pretty much stock, you will select stock from the drop down and then they program the tune they send you according to stock parameters.
Old 05-14-19, 11:55 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I can appreciate an aftermarket exhaust all day long, but the whole pop/bang/crackle thing is not appealing to me at all personally, so I'm genuinely curious as to what the reasoning is behind why someone would want their car to sound like that?
Old 05-15-19, 05:05 AM
jafsport
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yes, I believe RR-Tune asks you for what type of setup you have on your car (stock, E, I, I/H, I/E, I/H/E) Since resonator delete is pretty much stock, you will select stock from the drop down and then they program the tune they send you according to stock parameters.
Thanks. Noob questions.

i checking on rr racing website and no power gains were shown do you the power figures?

also how does the process work? Do i have to remove my ecu and send it to them? If yes are there any instructions on how to do so? Im assuming the car needs to sit until the ecu is returned?
Old 05-15-19, 06:18 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by jafsport
Thanks. Noob questions.

i checking on rr racing website and no power gains were shown do you the power figures?

also how does the process work? Do i have to remove my ecu and send it to them? If yes are there any instructions on how to do so? Im assuming the car needs to sit until the ecu is returned?
Peak power gains are fairly minimal on the RCF with the tune. However, it really changes the curve of the powerband. You will get a much "thicker" powerband where there will be more area under the curve near the midranges where you will have more available torque/power. However, once really wind out the engine to redline, the peak will be only a few whp more. However, more area under the curve means better performance as you have a broader powerband.

I believe, you get some sort of a console that you hook up to your OBDII port and then you install the new ECU programming. I don't believe you swap ECUs or send in your ECU. The plug and play allows you to go back to stock tuning when you take to the dealership. Again, you can PM Rafi at RR engineering as he can give details on it.

p.s. I also don't understand the crackle and pop obsession either. My Invidia crackles a bit on cold starts and pops when I hit the rev limiter, but idle is smooth once warmed up and I don't think pops and crackles suit the character of the RCF.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-15-19 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 07:52 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

We do not do a pop crackle snap tune. Reason being... Have fun destroying your engine. Our tunes are optimized for power gain + reliability, because that's the reason you bought a Lexus.

Popcorn tunes are literally dumping unburnt fuel and detonating them for the pop pop bang noises. But it does cause long term damage to your engine in doing so, along with the fact you do not gain any performance from it.

The smart way to do it is have a free flowing exhaust and you will achieve the same type of thing. Headers, exhaust and a REAL tune will give you the crackle of a performance car.

-Sean
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 4 users liked this post by RRRacing:
46750 (05-15-19), CAHWY128 (05-20-19), lobuxracer (05-15-19), picklebush (05-16-19)
Old 05-15-19, 09:54 AM
jafsport
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Peak power gains are fairly minimal on the RCF with the tune. However, it really changes the curve of the powerband. You will get a much "thicker" powerband where there will be more area under the curve near the midranges where you will have more available torque/power. However, once really wind out the engine to redline, the peak will be only a few whp more. However, more area under the curve means better performance as you have a broader powerband.

I believe, you get some sort of a console that you hook up to your OBDII port and then you install the new ECU programming. I don't believe you swap ECUs or send in your ECU. The plug and play allows you to go back to stock tuning when you take to the dealership. Again, you can PM Rafi at RR engineering as he can give details on it.

p.s. I also don't understand the crackle and pop obsession either. My Invidia crackles a bit on cold starts and pops when I hit the rev limiter, but idle is smooth once warmed up and I don't think pops and crackles suit the character of the RCF.

That would be great if they can send the console to me, but I was referring to the instructions here which says to ship them the ECU. wondering if that's still the case?

Old 05-17-19, 05:13 AM
DebianDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
This^^^
To each their own. Instead of sounding like a well tuned engine, let's make it sound like a jalopy. Lexus engineers be like WTF.
Meanwhile at Toyota. "Yes we programmed the Supra so when you hit the Sport button and let off the throttle you get it constantly!"
Old 05-17-19, 08:18 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DebianDog
Meanwhile at Toyota. "Yes we programmed the Supra so when you hit the Sport button and let off the throttle you get it constantly!"
They do seem to be trying to address things they heard from the RCF reviews in the Supra if you listen closely in the videos with the engineers. They are very proud of the exhaust sound.
Old 05-20-19, 02:10 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
We do not do a pop crackle snap tune. Reason being... Have fun destroying your engine. Our tunes are optimized for power gain + reliability, because that's the reason you bought a Lexus.

Popcorn tunes are literally dumping unburnt fuel and detonating them for the pop pop bang noises. But it does cause long term damage to your engine in doing so, along with the fact you do not gain any performance from it.

The smart way to do it is have a free flowing exhaust and you will achieve the same type of thing. Headers, exhaust and a REAL tune will give you the crackle of a performance car.

-Sean
While I fully comprehend that burble tunes, over time, will likely result in ‘premature’ wear, I fail to understand how one would “destroy their engine” doing this.

Waste fuel, ya. Cause extra wear on cats and other emission system components, sure. Ultimately lead to something catastrophic before you have a chance to identify a failing part and replace it? Probably not.

I would love for someone to offer an in-depth explanation on how an overrun tune would destroy a motor. I’m also wondering if anyone has personal experience, or has ever even read about a burble tune destroying a car.
Old 05-20-19, 08:55 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Hmmmm

The following 2 users liked this post by konichiwa3:
DebianDog (05-20-19), lobuxracer (05-20-19)
Old 05-20-19, 10:25 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
I mean, if my 2GR was a madly tuned V12 then I could see it being a bit of a fire hazard, but its not a flamethrower tune its an overrun tune.
Old 05-23-19, 11:10 AM
AlimoT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizsk
While I fully comprehend that burble tunes, over time, will likely result in ‘premature’ wear, I fail to understand how one would “destroy their engine” doing this.

Waste fuel, ya. Cause extra wear on cats and other emission system components, sure. Ultimately lead to something catastrophic before you have a chance to identify a failing part and replace it? Probably not.

I would love for someone to offer an in-depth explanation on how an overrun tune would destroy a motor. I’m also wondering if anyone has personal experience, or has ever even read about a burble tune destroying a car.
Yes my buddy's RC350, The pop tune destroyed the cats, the pieces of the destroyed cat reached the engine and it was a big mess, his car went into the limp mode, so many parts has to be changed.
Old 05-23-19, 12:32 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

So wait, it sucked the cat all the way back up the exhaust path into the engine? I've heard of pre-cat destruction killing turbos since they are after that part but the cats on a 350 should be well downstream of the engine and only sending gases out. Please correct me if I'm missing something.
The following users liked this post:
BirgeyT1 (05-23-19)

Quick Reply: Can RR racing tune make RCF pop and crackle?