RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Side sill protection ...

Old 12-14-17, 10:30 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Side sill protection ...

my side sills are getting really dirty

is there seran wrap or some plastic wrap that I can put over for protection ?

Thanks
Old 12-14-17, 10:57 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Interior side sills I mean
Old 12-14-17, 11:14 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
my side sills are getting really dirty

is there seran wrap or some plastic wrap that I can put over for protection ?

Thanks
I assume you mean the rocker panels. I put 3M film on them. Still get some film scars from rocks.
In really bad weather or roads or tracking you might try
removable (washable) Self-Adhering 3 mil Plastic Film that I use at the track on rocker panels, and hood.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32285918137...84.m1558.l2649
This fast but ugly.
Another thing that helps is temporary mud flaps that I use on the front for long trips. I remove them when not needed.
You can use the existing 3 mount holes behind each front wheel. Have to buy the material, create
a paper template and transfer the holes to the plastic flaps, drill and then attach. Notice the lower plastic pin gets replaced with a bolt so it screws in.
Put them on with the wheels turned to the max. Shim up in depressions with a washer as needed.
I put a little glue on the bolt screws to make sure they dont come out on rough roads until I unscrew then.
I can not imagine driving my RC-F in Alaska!!
Get the ones in black instead of black and red. See pdf. Not perfect but better than nothing.
Attached Files
Old 12-14-17, 11:16 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Thank you.

Actually I was talking about the interior piece, where your feet touches when you get in and out of the car (i am not sure the correct name for it).

My kids usually go on it, before jumping out of the car

I found this video, but it just does a bit, I am talking about the whole piece.

Old 12-14-17, 11:20 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

this whole piece
Old 12-14-17, 11:35 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

this whole piece
Ok got it.
I had some film put on the sill Lexus plate but not on the sill, but it does get scuffed my by wife's boots, but better the film instead of the paint
because the edge is exposed. I guess you could put several film strips on, metal plate, sill and rocker areas. This issue is the seams between them
can fill with mud but at least the surface would be protected.
If you want a temp solution for muddy time, you might try the Self-Adhering 3 mil Plastic Film and do it with one piece which you can pull off and wash
and re-apply that same piece. eBay or Amazon sells it but its a bit pricey but less than XPEL.
XPEL has the advantage that is more permanent and self-heals with hot water but I have not tried it myself.

Last edited by rjmalm; 12-14-17 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-14-17, 11:50 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Ok got it.
I had some film put here as well, but it does get scuffed my by wife's boots, but better the film instead of the paint.
You might try the Self-Adhering 3 mil Plastic Film which you can pull off and wash
and re-apply that same piece. eBay or Amazon sells it but its a bit pricey but less than XPEL.
XPEL has the advantage that is more permanent and self-heals with hot water but I have not tried it myself.
Thank you kindly. I will ask a local shop to see if they have some film. Appreciate it!

Something like these?

https://www.laminator.com/3-mil-25-x...gaAk8fEALw_wcB
Old 12-14-17, 12:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^
Amazon Amazon

Lou
The following users liked this post:
ryanSC300lover (12-14-17)
Old 12-14-17, 12:03 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

this whole piece
Ok got it.
I had some film put on the sill Lexus plate but not on the sill, but it does get scuffed my by wife's boots, but better the film instead of the paint
because the edge is exposed. I guess you could put several film strips on, metal plate, sill and rocker areas. This issue is the seams between them
If you want a temp solution for muddy time, you might try the Self-Adhering 3 mil Plastic Film and do it with one piece which you can pull off and wash
You will have to test the lamination plastic to see if it will stick. I think the car protection films all have some water soluble adhesive on one side.
If you really want a cheap ugly temp solution you could type food Press and Seal and go right over the seams and remove it and
the dirt often. Might not be thick enough for you kids boot scrapes. Maybe sure your paint is clean before any application of films.
Attached Thumbnails Side sill protection ...-dsc_6925.jpg  
Old 12-14-17, 12:05 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Ok got it.
You will have to test the lamination plastic to see if it will stick. I think the car protection films all have some water soluble adhesive on one side.
If you really want a cheap ugly temp solution you could type food Press and Seal and go right over the seams and remove it and
the dirt often. Might not be thick enough for you kids boot scrapes. Maybe sure your paint is clean before any application of films.
Thank you

The picture you posted is EXACTLY what I need