RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Too much oil after service check on my RCF

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 12:20 AM
Robexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too much oil after service check on my RCF

Hello, could you please advise if it is all right to have oil level 1 cm above the upper mark of the dipstick? It was even more, so I returned to the dealer, they said they had put in prescribed amount of 9.3 liters, while the oil was perfectly clean (so there was no leftover). After my complaint they drained half litter, however it still shows 1 cm above, after the engine cooled off, they suggested not to take out more. However I read too much oil could increase pressures and damage seals.
My Lexus did not consume any oil during break in, so no need to keep more. The dealer said on my RCF 2017 the dipstick shows more if they put in the prescribed amount. Is that true for your Lexus RCF too? Is it normal for other Lexuses too, to show more after the oil change at the dealer?
Old 11-21-17, 01:05 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I too had the same problem as you did with overfilled crankcase serviced by a Lexus DEALERSHIP. Mine was overfilled way more than yours. I took it back to them and they said they can not believe that it happened and apologized. They drained out to the top mark on the dipstick. I moved on.........

Yes, it's worse to have it overfilled vs underfilled. Overfilled will cause foaming and the engine can't get the proper lubrication and subsequent damage........

https://www.cartalk.com/content/each...rs-oil-changed

https://community.cartalk.com/t/over...enario/53642/4
Originally Posted by Robexus
Hello, could you please advise if it is all right to have oil level 1 cm above the upper mark of the dipstick? It was even more, so I returned to the dealer, they said they had put in prescribed amount of 9.3 liters, while the oil was perfectly clean (so there was no leftover). After my complaint they drained half litter, however it still shows 1 cm above, after the engine cooled off, they suggested not to take out more. However I read too much oil could increase pressures and damage seals.
My Lexus did not consume any oil during break in, so no need to keep more. The dealer said on my RCF 2017 the dipstick shows more if they put in the prescribed amount. Is that true for your Lexus RCF too? Is it normal for other Lexuses too, to show more after the oil change at the dealer?

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-21-17 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 02:37 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Unfortunately, not an uncommon thing...not just at Lexus dealers, I've had this happen a few times for various cars. I've had folks tell me "just in case" or not check the fill requirement properly....

At my last change, they put in 10 quarts. I've given up complaining, I bought a few cheap ($1 on sale @ Lowes) soap pump dispensers, tossed the container and soap, attached vinyl hose to the bottom and drain the excess via the dipstick tube. Doesn't take too long and lets me adjust any overfills to suit.

Originally Posted by Robexus
Attached Thumbnails Too much oil after service check on my RCF-img_20171121_142217.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by ct6978:
BossMoss (07-27-18), corradoMR2 (11-24-17), LRCSALES (11-30-17)
Old 11-21-17, 03:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

That's one of the main reasons why I stopped going to the dealership for routine maintenance anymore. Why should I pay them good money only to have more work and headaches for me later?

Originally Posted by ct6978
Unfortunately, not an uncommon thing...not just at Lexus dealers, I've had this happen a few times for various cars. I've had folks tell me "just in case" or not check the fill requirement properly....

At my last change, they put in 10 quarts. I've given up complaining, I bought a few cheap ($1 on sale @ Lowes) soap pump dispensers, tossed the container and soap, attached vinyl hose to the bottom and drain the excess via the dipstick tube. Doesn't take too long and lets me adjust any overfills to suit.
Old 11-22-17, 12:45 AM
Robexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your comments. As per the link which Leuxusrus had shared it seems like overfilling by three quarters of inch should still not do any damage, (I did not push it hard and returned to the dealership after driving 15 miles). Now there is still about 0.4 inch above the mark.
Little pump device which ct6978 posted - that is good hint.
Interesting - the instructional video which Lexus UK posted - they have got significant overfill on their Lexus CT! They just instruct to watch for less oil. It is pity there is nobody from Lexus factory on this forum to comment on this..
The following users liked this post:
ba2sy (07-05-18)
Old 11-22-17, 05:40 AM
keithS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. First and third oil fill was accurate, but the second had a full quart too much oil. Got a siphon pump and pumped it out myself, as was much easier than dealing with the dealership for this. I always regularly check my oil, especially after a trip to the dealer.
Old 06-21-18, 11:40 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Old thread, but want to remind all to check oil levels after dealership has changed your oil. Yesterday had my 35,000 mile check, and oil level was 3/4 inch over fill mark. Had to suck out 1.8 quarts to attain proper level. Overfilling seems to be a common problem. Assume other Lexus vehicles with our v8 have the same issue.
Old 06-21-18, 02:55 PM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

3 oil changes at my Lexus dealership and they put too much oil every single time. By an entire quart. I always had them to correct the situation.
Old 06-21-18, 06:45 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2Insane
3 oil changes at my Lexus dealership and they put too much oil every single time. By an entire quart. I always had them to correct the situation.
Pretty much 100% of the time here too.... Even after telling them to avoid overfilling and mentioning it happened before.

On my last RCF, I had switched to synthetic, so they used actual bottles (no 5W30 synthetic on tap) and I saw the tech just upended 10 quart bottles.....

Oddly enough, I did an early first oil change on my car a few months ago and dimly remember finding it slightly overfilled, ....and was sure I only put in the official 9.3 quarts.... I do know it takes a while to settle down after driving, but can't exactly remember, but think I pulled out .3Q.... I probably won't get to another one myself for a while, but planned on checking carefully next time. I doubt the official 9.3Q is wrong, but always possible, or perhaps takes forever to drain fully.
Old 06-21-18, 07:42 PM
FrankJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just change the oil yourself, it's pretty easy guys
Old 06-21-18, 08:04 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FrankJ
Generally I'd agree, but not always feasible.....

Plus one would typically expect, particularly for higher end cars, that dealers would get this detail correct.....makes you wonder what other work isn't done quite to spec.
Old 06-22-18, 10:23 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankJ
Probably will change oil myself, but only after the dealership does the first 4 ones for free. For now, can't pass up the free oil and filter.
Way I trust dealerships, if they gave me the oil and filter for free, I would do it myself!
Old 06-24-18, 10:27 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Isn't this mainly because our manual calls for 9.8 quarts with filter change? IIRC, the right number is 9.2. But I just fill to 9 qts., start and warm up for a bit, check and then top off if needed.
Old 06-24-18, 07:05 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Isn't this mainly because our manual calls for 9.8 quarts with filter change? IIRC, the right number is 9.2. But I just fill to 9 qts., start and warm up for a bit, check and then top off if needed.
I've only ever seen manuals w/ 9.3Q, agree with you on the fill 9 then check:

Old 06-24-18, 09:17 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2Insane
Now I'm thinking they might be trying to avoid you running out after everything gets sucked through the PCV valve.

Just drained my new catch can for the first time, ~300 miles, freeway mostly.

Quick Reply: Too much oil after service check on my RCF