RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

My first Drag Strip experience with my RCF

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 06:56 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My first Drag Strip experience with my RCF

So I've had my RCF for a little over two years and have a bunch of mods so I wanted to see what it could do. Took it to Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA on Sunday 11/5/17. Ran three times and was in the 14s each time. Horrible traction off the line. Could not launch for the life of me and spun for 3-4 seconds all through first and second until it finally took off. Had the car in expert mode using manual mode. Ran MPSS tires 295/30 20. Had the PSI @ 25lbs. Although the 1/4 mile ET was bad my mph was still solid @ 112.56mph. If I had a Drag radial or figured out how to launch without lighting up the tires im sure it would do alot better. Once it caught traction the car accelerated very well with less track to use with the bad launch. Ill try again once I get some Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. Im a rookie and the cars that beat me definitely weren't faster, just better at launching and were a quarter down the track before I left the tree haha. Here is the slip and a little video of my learning experience. You can here the tires squealing all the way through the O'reilly poster.

Old 11-06-17, 10:32 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

What mods do you have?!

V.
Old 11-07-17, 05:20 AM
OURISF
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
What mods do you have?!

V.
See his signature...

and OP your daily is Hellcat??? Post a pic of that bad boy!

I am actually thinking about doing the opposite and buying a Hellcat to 1/2 mile and make my RCF my daily.
Old 11-07-17, 05:24 AM
OURISF
Driver

Now about your traction problems...not sure since I don't have your mods and have never 1/4 mile run my F but I think maybe you might launch better in sport with traction control on and let the car shift itself. When I ran 1/2 mile from a dig that setup work best for me and I seemed to get a very good launch every time with very little spin (1st & 2nd).
Old 11-07-17, 08:15 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Sport/Auto/traction control seems be to best combo.
Old 11-07-17, 01:28 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by OURISF
See his signature...

and OP your daily is Hellcat??? Post a pic of that bad boy!

I am actually thinking about doing the opposite and buying a Hellcat to 1/2 mile and make my RCF my daily.
Signatures don't show on mobile....

V.
Old 11-07-17, 01:52 PM
OURISF
Driver

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Signatures don't show on mobile....

V.
Oh yeah...I actually knew that...my bad I thought I was helping
Old 11-07-17, 07:05 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE/

Your car is solid! Just look at your MPH. You seem to have the tree down with a great RT of .012....Your right your 60ft is killing you (like most of us). Are your MPSS worn? My experience with them is once I'm to the 1/2 way point on tread forget it. Your definitely going to get the car in the high 12's with a set of Mickey Thompson tires.

Get the tires and head back on 11/19 for another round of street legal drags..(Auto Club Speedway Fontana)

Last edited by biggame; 11-07-17 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 08:00 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Car looks likes its walking haha.

He has headers and exhaust. I rode in his car before.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-07-17, 09:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I would say, calculate your circumference using online calculator of the 20 inch wheel/tire combo and factor in the weight of the wheels. Bigger circumference and weight must be hurting your off the line acceleration response. The fact that you are having a slow off the line acceleration also is a tell tale sign since bigger wheel/tire combo means taller gear ratio, which manifests itself in slower rev-up off the line to redline in 1st gear. Then, if your wheels are heavier than stock, that has impact on acceleration. Maybe, try going back to stock 19 inch wheels with a sticky set of tires and see how it goes.
Old 11-08-17, 03:32 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Follow my method and you will get into 12s with ease

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...n-tonight.html

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
So I've had my RCF for a little over two years and have a bunch of mods so I wanted to see what it could do. Took it to Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA on Sunday 11/5/17. Ran three times and was in the 14s each time. Horrible traction off the line. Could not launch for the life of me and spun for 3-4 seconds all through first and second until it finally took off. Had the car in expert mode using manual mode. Ran MPSS tires 295/30 20. Had the PSI @ 25lbs. Although the 1/4 mile ET was bad my mph was still solid @ 112.56mph. If I had a Drag radial or figured out how to launch without lighting up the tires im sure it would do alot better. Once it caught traction the car accelerated very well with less track to use with the bad launch. Ill try again once I get some Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. Im a rookie and the cars that beat me definitely weren't faster, just better at launching and were a quarter down the track before I left the tree haha. Here is the slip and a little video of my learning experience. You can here the tires squealing all the way through the O'reilly poster.

https://youtu.be/vASz4oPoMug
Old 11-08-17, 04:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah get rid of those 20's..... and try again with an actual good tire.
Old 11-08-17, 08:33 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a 2017 GSF and too took my car to the track for the first time last weekend. My time is on the right. Ignore RT, I could've sat there for a minute and it wouldn't affect time.

Burnouts do not do anything with the Michelin tires. Not sure why anyone would suggest that.

Sport + Mode, traction control off, TVD normal mode, manual mode. NO BURNOUT, unless you are using drag radials. I didn't do too bad for my one and only run and just purchasing my car a week and half ago...

Also suggest brake torque launching at 1.5 - 2k RPM

Last edited by TrevorR; 11-08-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 07:16 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
I have a 2017 GSF and too took my car to the track for the first time last weekend. My time is on the right. Ignore RT, I could've sat there for a minute and it wouldn't affect time.

Burnouts do not do anything with the Michelin tires. Not sure why anyone would suggest that.

Sport + Mode, traction control off, TVD normal mode, manual mode. NO BURNOUT, unless you are using drag radials. I didn't do too bad for my one and only run and just purchasing my car a week and half ago...

Also suggest brake torque launching at 1.5 - 2k RPM

“burnout do not do anything”- coming from a guy that did 2.2 60’ and 13.3 1/4 mile...hahaha
Old 11-09-17, 07:46 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
“burnout do not do anything”- coming from a guy that did 2.2 60’ and 13.3 1/4 mile...hahaha
Not bad for purchasing my car on halloween and only putting 100 miles on my GSF and running it once right?

I’ve ran my Viper at the drag strip and even had a 600 rwhp Cobra and ran it at the strip dozens of times!

Burnouts on super sports heat the tires up but do not make them stickier, they are not made of the same compound as drag radials. All you’re really doing is wasting tread.

Infact, you’ll make them greasy by doing a burnout because when you heat super sports it breaks down the compound and releases oil.

Quick Reply: My first Drag Strip experience with my RCF