Lexus Canada Denies Powertrain Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 12:48 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lexus Canada Denies Powertrain Warranty

******Update 22 Jun, 2018*******
Well it appears that things are moving in the right direction. I am posting some pictures that might be of interest to some.
******Update 22 Jun, 2018*******

******Update 01 Apr, 2018*******
Some not so good news. Haven't provided an update in quite some time. Have been very busy with life. Have to unfortunately report that there is no resolution to my engine oil consumption issue. Lexus Canada continues to deny that there is a problem with my RCF engine. I hope they are right, as the last thing I want is somebody tearing into my engine. Here are few points to consider:

I have driven approx. 4,000 km since the last consumption test. Perhaps incredibly the oil level is sitting at about 80-90% on the dip stick, relative the low and high dimple. So almost no oil has been consumed even half way through the oil/filter service interval (note I have not been driving that much lately). Now, this has been a harsh winter in Toronto and the road conditions have been tricky. More than 90% of the time the engine has not seen much above 1,500 to 2,000 rpm. Has the engine
miraculously "fixed" itself? I hope so but a better explanation is that at low revs it has no problems sealing the combustion chamber properly.

I met with the Lexus Canada warranty manager and the service manager at my dealership in Jan/Feb 2018. Lexus continues to insist that they will stand behind their product and if there is a problem with my car they will address the issue. The problem is that the warranty manager is convinced that there is no problem? He believes that changes to the engine system (i.e. adding an exhaust) may have contributed to the high oil consumption. He also believes that the dry/wet compression tests were maybe not done properly by the Lexus techs? Also he has all the faith in the engine management system being so advanced that on a per cylinder basis, if necessary, it will spit out a code and then finally confirm that there is a problem with this engine? In the meantime we ignore all the evidence that has been collected and wait and sit there until the engine management system confirms that a problem is truly present with this engine? That was the meeting in a nutshell and I was essentially told to take a hike for now.

My next steps are as follows. I hope the warranty manger is right and no problem exists. I doubt it. Now that spring is just around the corner I'll be back to normal/spirited driving; lets see how the oil consumption changes. My friend has a good relationship with a master tech at another dealership (unfortunately far away). It sounds like he wants to help. I might get him the check a couple cylinders for dry/wet compression. If he confirms the bad results I'll go after Lexus.

Any further ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

******Update 01 Apr, 2018*******

******Update 16 Oct, 2017*******
Some good news. I have to give some credit, where some credit is due. I heard back from Lexus today and I have been assured that my Powertrain Warranty is back in effect!! Darn, that's good news. A higher end car like this without powertrain warranty could have caused me many sleepless nights.
I don't want to give out too many details at this time but I get the feeling that Lexus is wiling to work with me again and do the right thing. Thanks to all who have helped so far and I hope to have more good news shortly.
******Update 16 Oct, 2017*******

I received a call from the service manager at my Lexus dealership yesterday, informing me that Lexus Canada is denying my powertrain warranty claim. Since the beginning of my ownership of my RCF, I've been having engine oil consumption problems. The engine consumes anywhere from 1 L every 1000 km to 1 L every 1500 km. After over a dozen visits to the dealership, multiple oil consumption test, multiple low oil level warnings, and 2 engine dry/wet compression tests that all reveal there is a problem with this engine, Lexus Canada is denying my warranty claim. The reason they have given is that I modified the car by installing an aftermarket exhaust.
I'm so angry and disappointed with Lexus right now. This is not the ownership experience I expected from owning a Lexus. This is the kind of treatment I would expect from a lower end brand, but not from Lexus. Lexus Canada simply refuses to own up to the issue by making it right. I know this is going to cost them thousands of dollars to fix the problem but I firmly believe this is a problem that I did not cause. And furthermore, this is a problem that was already there when I took delivery of the car.
To add insult to injury at first, they were going to honour my claim if I remove the aftermarket exhaust. I was wiling to do this under two conditions. A reasonable exhaust removal/installation charge (they ended up quoting 1 hr which I thought was reasonable) and the exact criteria under which any further test would fail or pass. For example, to date I have yet to see and exact oil consumption spec from Lexus for the RCF. I was given one for the LFA that 1L every 1000 km is acceptable. Also, further tests would involve looking at the ECU. I don't drive my car in grandpa mode however I occasionally do in a spirted fashion (this car is my daily driver). So, I asked them to define what constitutes and ECU fail test. Say I hit 5000 rpm during the test run of 1500 km 3 to 5 times. Does that constitute abuse and a failed test? It seems that Lexus is unwilling to the define the rules of the test and has now decided not to honour my warranty. This is simply outrageous and callous misbehaviour by a multinational company that we allow to operate in North America. Folks we work hard for our money and like to enjoy the fruits of our labour. Our governments, laws, and regulations can not allow companies to get away with these brazen acts of neglect and dishonour towards North American consumers.
Lexus Canada I hope your listening. I will not let this issue go. I will send some more letters to upper management, up to and including Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation if required, after which I hope Lexus will come to their senses and act responsibly and in good faith. If not, I will be forced to pursue legal action against Lexus Canada.
Rant over. Would welcome any further ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

Wolfman

Last edited by WolfManRCF; 06-22-18 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-07-17, 01:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Well, that sucks. Is Lexus still willing to honor the warranty, if you put stock exhaust back on?
Old 10-07-17, 02:48 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I can't say I am surprised by this. I get the feeling Lexus is not interested in customers with problem cars. I had a concern with interior fit and finish in my car. and I got no where with them. I have since lost total faith in Lexus customer care. It seems that as long as you continue to go with their program of regular scheduled maintenance at the dealer facility they may on occasion provide warranty service ( which they seem to think is goodwill on their part).
Old 10-07-17, 03:00 PM
pheen619
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Thats garbage... I got turned away here locally for service because of my modifications. What kind of exhaust are you running? Was the oil consumption documented prior to the exhaust install?
Old 10-07-17, 03:16 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

What a rip off, who has been doing the oil changes and what oil has been used. Do the oil change yourself with fully synthetic and give the car a good flog around a track (try and deglaze the bores) if not trade it in. That is the weakest excuse I have every heard LEXUS.
Old 10-07-17, 05:38 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Well, that sucks. Is Lexus still willing to honor the warranty, if you put stock exhaust back on?
At first they were willing to honour the warranty as long as I go back to stock. Unfortunately, for reasons only know to Lexus Canada, they are now outright refusing to honour the warranty, even if I remove the aftermarket exhaust and go back to stock at my expense?

Wolfman
Old 10-07-17, 05:46 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by pheen619
Thats garbage... I got turned away here locally for service because of my modifications. What kind of exhaust are you running? Was the oil consumption documented prior to the exhaust install?
Yes, I bought the car with just under 5000 km. Even on the day I picked up the car the oil level was about 1/3 down from the high dimple mark. At around 6000 km the oil low level warning light came on. I took it the dealer and had them document the problem. It happened again just over 2000 km that the oil level warning light came on. The dealership kept telling me this is normal as the engine was still breaking in. It wasn't until around 10,500 km that I installed the Apexi exhaust.
Wolfman
Old 10-07-17, 05:53 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by isfvss
What a rip off, who has been doing the oil changes and what oil has been used. Do the oil change yourself with fully synthetic and give the car a good flog around a track (try and deglaze the bores) if not trade it in. That is the weakest excuse I have every heard LEXUS.
I performed the first oil and filter change at around 8000km (5000 miles) myself. I thought using a quality synthetic oil would fix the problem as Lexus was specing 5W30 conventional oil. It did not help at all. I've had Lexus perform all the oil and filter changes since then, knowing that I would have to make a warranty claim and I did not want to give them any further excuses. I even paid for the oil and filter change to start the consumption testing even though my car was not scheduled for an oil and filter change. It's all been a big waste of time and money. I thought I was buying a Lexus to avoid all these issues. Instead this is turning into a nightmare with Lexus.

Wolfman
Old 10-07-17, 07:24 PM
pheen619
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
Yes, I bought the car with just under 5000 km. Even on the day I picked up the car the oil level was about 1/3 down from the high dimple mark. At around 6000 km the oil low level warning light came on. I took it the dealer and had them document the problem. It happened again just over 2000 km that the oil level warning light came on. The dealership kept telling me this is normal as the engine was still breaking in. It wasn't until around 10,500 km that I installed the Apexi exhaust.
Wolfman
As long as it is documented prior, I would bring it up with the people up top. When all else fails, maybe seek legal help... Thats why my buddy did with his Ford Focus, they ended up buying the car back after he kept having the same issue and failed attempts to remedy the problem.
Old 10-07-17, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

You bought the car with 5000 km on the odometer? Someone previously owned it and ditched it that fast? Sounds like a lemon to me.
Old 10-07-17, 08:56 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You bought the car with 5000 km on the odometer? Someone previously owned it and ditched it that fast? Sounds like a lemon to me.
I should have explained. This was the dealerships general managers personal company vehicle. I had my eye on it for a number of weeks and it came up for sale. It was fully loaded carbon tvd which is what I was looking for. The car had never been titled before.

Wolfman
Old 10-08-17, 06:30 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. If the issue has been well documented long before the installation of an aftermarket exhaust system, I don’t see them getting away without making it right. You have made efforts since the beginning, and there’s proof of that.
Old 10-08-17, 08:59 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is what i think has happened, This seems to be acommon issue with the oil change rookies, The filled the car with 6.5l as per rc350 spec v6 and never checked the oil level properly on the dipstick, sometimes hard to spot when its clear. If i were you get a printout of oil level added on the bill when it was first done at lexus, there has to be a paper trail. It will show howmuch oil was used on the 1st oil change. Seems like the first owner ditched the car and possibly no one told you about the issues which an exhaust will not cause oil consumption. I mean comon please prove this in court that this sort of modification would do such thing when there is millions of aftermarket exhaust on the road, are they all causing oil consumtion? dumb dealer doesnt want to fess up. I hope you oil change has to do with this issue, as i know someone that had this sort of thing done to an is-f. They put 6.5l insted of 9.8. This dealer then started tearing into that engine out of their pocket as the warranty was done on that car. Lets just say the car is not the same as it used to be, if i were you i go after them hard and give back the car if you find them at fault. This happened in the GTA. Also know of someone having their oil cap left open as they drove home 100km after an oil change on the hwy causing it to dump oil everywhere in the engine bay. Bravo to the young rookies that these dealeres hire , pay minimum wage to do oilchanges and cause destruction to other ppl expansive cars!!! This is why i bring 10l of oil to give to them to do my oil change and i also get someone that i know at lexus to work on it cuz they know it takes 9.5-9.8l. Rant over!!!
Old 10-08-17, 10:34 AM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Here is what i think has happened, This seems to be acommon issue with the oil change rookies, The filled the car with 6.5l as per rc350 spec v6 and never checked the oil level properly on the dipstick, sometimes hard to spot when its clear. If i were you get a printout of oil level added on the bill when it was first done at lexus, there has to be a paper trail. It will show howmuch oil was used on the 1st oil change. Seems like the first owner ditched the car and possibly no one told you about the issues which an exhaust will not cause oil consumption. I mean comon please prove this in court that this sort of modification would do such thing when there is millions of aftermarket exhaust on the road, are they all causing oil consumtion? dumb dealer doesnt want to fess up. I hope you oil change has to do with this issue, as i know someone that had this sort of thing done to an is-f. They put 6.5l insted of 9.8. This dealer then started tearing into that engine out of their pocket as the warranty was done on that car. Lets just say the car is not the same as it used to be, if i were you i go after them hard and give back the car if you find them at fault. This happened in the GTA. Also know of someone having their oil cap left open as they drove home 100km after an oil change on the hwy causing it to dump oil everywhere in the engine bay. Bravo to the young rookies that these dealeres hire , pay minimum wage to do oilchanges and cause destruction to other ppl expansive cars!!! This is why i bring 10l of oil to give to them to do my oil change and i also get someone that i know at lexus to work on it cuz they know it takes 9.5-9.8l. Rant over!!!

-car was driven by general manger of Lexus dealership (see post #11)
-I don't trust dealer either; I always ask to witness the oil changes at the dealer
-I agree an aftermarket exhaust is not the cause for an engine burning oil
-from the evidence I've seen so far the cylinders glazed during break in; car was not driven hard enough or was left idling too long; or a mistake was made during the assembly and matching of engine parts (cylinder bore, piston size, piston rings, etc)
-this engine is well protected (ie no max revs until engine is warm, etc) I don't think it would be easy to wear out or damage this engine in 4-5K km by driving it hard. Most who have driven this car hard report no engine problems. After all we are told this car was born on the Fuji Speedway!
-when I picked up the car I looked for signs of abuse; brake fluid, brakes, tire wear, etc; the car was in great condition

Wolfman

Last edited by WolfManRCF; 10-08-17 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 01:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Since the car was never titled, so does Lemon law apply?

Does Canada have Lemon laws?

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
I should have explained. This was the dealerships general managers personal company vehicle. I had my eye on it for a number of weeks and it came up for sale. It was fully loaded carbon tvd which is what I was looking for. The car had never been titled before.

Wolfman

Quick Reply: Lexus Canada Denies Powertrain Warranty