RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus Canada Denies Powertrain Warranty

Old 10-08-17, 02:54 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Since the car was never titled, so does Lemon law apply?

Does Canada have Lemon laws?
I'm not very strong on the law regarding car warranty problems in Canada. I have never owned a car under warranty where the manufacturer has denied me warranty. This is the last thing I expected from Lexus. This behaviour is at the level of cockroaches!!!

My understanding of the law here in Ontario, Canada is that unfortunately there is no Lemon Law. I'm hoping some more experienced CL members can chime in on the best way to proceed. Thanks.

Wolfman
Old 10-08-17, 02:55 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Lightbulb

Just like I Stated, Prior: Playing Hardball...

Bottomline: Lemon Law or Hire a Lawyer...

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
I received a call from the service manager at my Lexus dealership yesterday, informing me that Lexus Canada is denying my powertrain warranty claim. Since the beginning of my ownership of my RCF, I've been having engine oil consumption problems. The engine consumes anywhere from 1 L every 1000 km to 1 L every 1500 km. After over a dozen visits to the dealership, multiple oil consumption test, multiple low oil level warnings, and 2 engine dry/wet compression tests that all reveal there is a problem with this engine, Lexus Canada is denying my warranty claim. The reason they have given is that I modified the car by installing an aftermarket exhaust.
I'm so angry and disappointed with Lexus right now. This is not the ownership experience I expected from owning a Lexus. This is the kind of treatment I would expect from a lower end brand, but not from Lexus. Lexus Canada simply refuses to own up to the issue by making it right. I know this is going to cost them thousands of dollars to fix the problem but I firmly believe this is a problem that I did not cause. And furthermore, this is a problem that was already there when I took delivery of the car.
To add insult to injury at first, they were going to honour my claim if I remove the aftermarket exhaust. I was wiling to do this under two conditions. A reasonable exhaust removal/installation charge (they ended up quoting 1 hr which I thought was reasonable) and the exact criteria under which any further test would fail or pass. For example, to date I have yet to see and exact oil consumption spec from Lexus for the RCF. I was given one for the LFA that 1L every 1000 km is acceptable. Also, further tests would involve looking at the ECU. I don't drive my car in grandpa mode however I occasionally do in a spirted fashion (this car is my daily driver). So, I asked them to define what constitutes and ECU fail test. Say I hit 5000 rpm during the test run of 1500 km 3 to 5 times. Does that constitute abuse and a failed test? It seems that Lexus is unwilling to the define the rules of the test and has now decided not to honour my warranty. This is simply outrageous and callous misbehaviour by a multinational company that we allow to operate in North America. Folks we work hard for our money and like to enjoy the fruits of our labour. Our governments, laws, and regulations can not allow companies to get away with these brazen acts of neglect and dishonour towards North American consumers.
Lexus Canada I hope your listening. I will not let this issue go. I will send some more letters to upper management, up to and including Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation if required, after which I hope Lexus will come to their senses and act responsibly and in good faith. If not, I will be forced to pursue legal action against Lexus Canada.
Rant over. Would welcome any further ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

Wolfman
The Dealership stated that any and/or all RPMs over 5K Forfeits Powertrain Warranty dependent on the ECM Data. Therefore, you state that this was a Dealership Fleet Car.

Well, My question is how you do know those RPMs wasn't from the Dealership themselves...Did they show you the Data?

Because, that ECM Date/Time stamps every DTC and event that car encountered...Just my 2-Cents...

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
I should have explained. This was the dealerships general managers personal company vehicle. I had my eye on it for a number of weeks and it came up for sale. It was fully loaded carbon tvd which is what I was looking for. The car had never been titled before.

Wolfman
Old 10-08-17, 03:19 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Canada does not have a Lemon law as such in the U.S. Rule of thumb, until newly bought car is turned out OK to keep it for long time, hold off installing any after market stuff. That vehicle must be sold as demo unit? Staff driven cars are often abused. There is no saving really in buying demo vehicle compared to buying brand new. I always get brand new car with cash payment. Next choice is couple year old CPO vehicle.
Old 10-08-17, 03:43 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Ask for a trade in and see what they offer you and them take it to a dealer that doesn't no the fault get a comparison (I would still give it a good flogging and try to deglaze the bores,or you could be flogging a dead horse ) good luck.
Old 10-08-17, 06:10 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

wtf revving over 5k RPMS gets rid of the warranty. is this for real ?
Old 10-08-17, 06:24 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shadow1118
Would you rev. the engine high with your fairly new vehicle?
Old 10-08-17, 06:53 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Gent's let me clarify. Lexus wanted to perform further tests on my vehicle under warranty. So I wanted to know the rules of the game before going through the trouble of putting my stock exhaust back (ie how many km would I drive for, what constitutes abuse when looking at the ECU, how much oil would be allowed to be consumed). They informed me that one part of the testing would involve looking at the ECU for abuse. So naturally my question to Lexus was at what level of rpm would they consider it abuse? 4K rpm, 5 K rpm, 5.5 K rpm?And how many times was I allowed to hit a certain rpm during the test interval and not have my warranty voided.

They simply had to define the criteria under which my warranty would be denied. Unfortunately, we never got this this point and Lexus Canada told me that the warranty would not be honoured because I installed an aftermarket exhaust.

Wolfman
Old 10-08-17, 07:01 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

so we really think its because someone put the v6 amount of oil into it, instead of the v8. there are so many horror stories of Lexus incompetence regarding the oil changes.
Old 10-08-17, 07:07 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

so we really think its because someone put the v6 amount of oil into it, instead of the v8. there are so many horror stories of Lexus incompetence regarding the oil changes.
-As mentioned I insisted on witnessing every oil and filter change to ensure that it was done correctly
-Also the moment you start to approach the low dimple on the dip stick you will get a low level oil warning (high to low on the dip stick is 1.5 L). So it would be difficult to underfill this engine and not notice a warning on the dash.
Old 10-09-17, 02:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Would you rev. the engine high with your fairly new vehicle?
I would in the first hour of ownership. I want the rings to seal and seal now. It really sounds like this engine sat idling a lot and didn't get driven hard when it was new to get the rings properly seated. If it weren't for the catalytic converters, it would probably blow blue smoke from the exhaust.
Old 10-09-17, 02:39 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I would in the first hour of ownership. I want the rings to seal and seal now. It really sounds like this engine sat idling a lot and didn't get driven hard when it was new to get the rings properly seated. If it weren't for the catalytic converters, it would probably blow blue smoke from the exhaust.
Totally agree lobux. I don't think these engines were designed to be babied. Various CL members drive their cars hard and have not reported any issues.

Wolfman
Old 10-09-17, 05:34 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
At least after engine temperture is normal operating range? Yet, I'd wait until after first early oil change.
Old 10-09-17, 06:01 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Immediate flooring is required in all new vehicles, even old should see redline every now and then.

Wolfman, what is the warranty claim number?
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (10-10-17)
Old 10-09-17, 07:58 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
Immediate flooring is required in all new vehicles, even old should see redline every now and then.

Wolfman, what is the warranty claim number?
Hi Daniel,

I will PM you the technical case number I was given by Lexus Canada. Thanks.

Wolfman
Old 10-09-17, 08:03 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Here is what i think has happened, This seems to be acommon issue with the oil change rookies, The filled the car with 6.5l as per rc350 spec v6 and never checked the oil level properly on the dipstick, sometimes hard to spot when its clear. If i were you get a printout of oil level added on the bill when it was first done at lexus, there has to be a paper trail. It will show howmuch oil was used on the 1st oil change. Seems like the first owner ditched the car and possibly no one told you about the issues which an exhaust will not cause oil consumption. I mean comon please prove this in court that this sort of modification would do such thing when there is millions of aftermarket exhaust on the road, are they all causing oil consumtion? dumb dealer doesnt want to fess up. I hope you oil change has to do with this issue, as i know someone that had this sort of thing done to an is-f. They put 6.5l insted of 9.8. This dealer then started tearing into that engine out of their pocket as the warranty was done on that car. Lets just say the car is not the same as it used to be, if i were you i go after them hard and give back the car if you find them at fault. This happened in the GTA. Also know of someone having their oil cap left open as they drove home 100km after an oil change on the hwy causing it to dump oil everywhere in the engine bay. Bravo to the young rookies that these dealeres hire , pay minimum wage to do oilchanges and cause destruction to other ppl expansive cars!!! This is why i bring 10l of oil to give to them to do my oil change and i also get someone that i know at lexus to work on it cuz they know it takes 9.5-9.8l. Rant over!!!
Lobux will serve as my technical guy if I explain wrong, but I know there is a low pressure oil warning on this engine. I have never looked into it but I'm sure Lance would know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Canada Denies Powertrain Warranty