RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Going to check out a used RCF. Important pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 05:52 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Going to check out a used RCF. Important pointers?

Hi everyone,

I will be checking out a low 8000 miles used RCF with carbon package next week. Can you please see if there is more than needs to be added to this list that I need to get a close look on?

- Tires
- Brakes (no warping)
- Suspension
- Fuel pump noise
- Maintenance records of the car
- History of the car (no lien, accidents, damage etc.)
- Wing goes up and down without any issues (no ECU issues)

Anything else I need to add? Is there anything I need to watch out in the transmission behavior? Please let me know. Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-22-17 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 12:17 PM
musicmoves
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Mark Levison stereo was a must have for me and TVD is a added bonus to look for but not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it. The other stuff you listed is a very good start. Check the carfax for accidents and other maintenance that has been carried out. Good luck
Old 09-22-17, 12:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by musicmoves
The Mark Levison stereo was a must have for me and TVD is a added bonus to look for but not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it. The other stuff you listed is a very good start. Check the carfax for accidents and other maintenance that has been carried out. Good luck
Thanks for your response.

Yeah, here we only get two trim levels. One is the standard (with the 10 spoke split wheels) and the other is the carbon package with TVD (with the 20 spoke wheels). This one is a Carbon package so it has everything you can get including the ML stereo system or the triple LED headlights etc.

I am wondering if there are ways to replicate any quirky behavior you might notice while driving? Some owners I noticed have talked about hesitation etc. Once again, thanks for your input.
Old 09-22-17, 12:32 PM
musicmoves
Driver School Candidate

let the car warm up for 8-10 minutes then drive it like you stole it! use both manual mode and auto mode. Drop the hammer and don't just go in a straight line. Take some corners to make sure the shocks are performing properly and you don't get any weird sounds.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 12:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

let the car warm up for 8-10 minutes then drive it like you stole it! use both manual mode and auto mode. Drop the hammer and don't just go in a straight line. Take some corners to make sure the shocks are performing properly and you don't get any weird sounds.
Awesome. Great tips. I will try and test it out through corners. I guess, the modes to test in would be sport and sport+. No point testing in normal mode. Right?
Old 09-22-17, 12:42 PM
musicmoves
Driver School Candidate

I would drive in normal because I try to use all the modes depending on what i'm doing. I use Eco mode on the highway for commutes sometimes to save fuel for the times when I'm dropping the hammer. I would test everything just to get a proper feel for how it all works. Open sunroof,touch all surfaces but thats just the way i shop for cars. LOL.....also ask when the oil was last changed,brakes etc....you didn't list miles but it can never hurt to ask.
05RollaXRS (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 01:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I would drive in normal because I try to use all the modes depending on what i'm doing. I use Eco mode on the highway for commutes sometimes to save fuel for the times when I'm dropping the hammer. I would test everything just to get a proper feel for how it all works. Open sunroof,touch all surfaces but thats just the way i shop for cars. LOL.....also ask when the oil was last changed,brakes etc....you didn't list miles but it can never hurt to ask.
Thanks for the helpful tips. Will definitely follow up on that.

In my list I put 'check history records', which points exactly to what you said. It is around 8000 miles so it has low miles on it.
Old 09-22-17, 01:30 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

normal 10 min warm up, then sport + floor it, do a hard 2nd gear pull from 40 mph. I scared my the Lexus guy in my test drive lmao, he was freaking out and saying dude if we get a ticket you have to pay for it!!! lmaooo.
05RollaXRS (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 01:38 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shadow1118
normal 10 min warm up, then sport + floor it, do a hard 2nd gear pull from 40 mph. I scared my the Lexus guy in my test drive lmao, he was freaking out and saying dude if we get a ticket you have to pay for it!!! lmaooo.
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I will do a pull from 2nd gear 40 mph to see how it gets to redline. However, this is a private owner selling his car so I will be very respectful/careful towards the car.
Old 09-22-17, 03:11 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Wjat color?
does it have a clear bra or ceramiccoating yet?
how chewed up is the front lower bumper and sides infront of rear wheels?
any after market mods?
05RollaXRS (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 05:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Good points. Thanks for your input

1 - It is a Molten Lava (Carbon Edition with TVD)

2 - It has 3M tape on the hood, fenders etc.

3 - Definitely should check how the chin and the rear diffuser are

4 - It is bone stock with 8000 miles as far as I know. Will double check if it has resonators on it.

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
Wjat color?
does it have a clear bra or ceramiccoating yet?
how chewed up is the front lower bumper and sides infront of rear wheels?
any after market mods?
Old 09-28-17, 09:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Update: Thanks to everyone for their input. I test drove the RCF. It happened to belong to an esteemed and honorable member of this board Rage2. I was very pleased with what I saw and how it felt driving. 8000 miles on the ODO. Shelton is a way better driver than me and really scared the bejesus out of me while demonstrating the incredibly high capabilities of the RCF. Frankly, I would never push to anywhere the limits anyway since this is going to be my baby mobile for my 3 year old baby daughter (since this will be my leisure car in the summers/weekend car while the XRS will continue to do daily duty). I slept on it and made the decision so I am in the middle of purchasing Rage2/Shelton's Molten Pearl Lexus RCF (carbon edition with all options). Will have more updates later.

p.s. Preemptively, no M4 was never on my radar and never considered one. Just a personal preference.

Here are pictures of the beauty:

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-28-17 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 08:17 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats.
was it ever tracked? check tire roll
Old 09-29-17, 08:21 AM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't have a track in Calgary so unfortunately it's never seen the track. It has been autocrossed twice to help me dial in the alignment and tire pressures.

Glad you enjoyed the car. I parked it last night and will get it detailed for ya this weekend. Hope I didn't scare you too much.

Told my kids I’ve sold the car last night, they are not happy with me.

Last edited by rage2; 09-29-17 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 09:09 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Shelton. A few times my heart did jump up into my throat, but it did demonstrate how capable the suspension was especially with the oversteer oriented alignment you have.

I could imagine how upset your children must be, but I am sure they will enjoy your new upcoming AMG. My daughter is crazy about cars and I am sure she will have a blast in the RCF.

Originally Posted by rage2
We don't have a track in Calgary so unfortunately it's never seen the track. It has been autocrossed twice to help me dial in the alignment and tire pressures.

Glad you enjoyed the car. I parked it last night and will get it detailed for ya this weekend. Hope I didn't scare you too much.

Told my kids I’ve sold the car last night, they are not happy with me.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-29-17 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Going to check out a used RCF. Important pointers?