RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

It's Been Fun, Time to Trade

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 02:37 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Congrats! I have been looking at BMW's lately, not that I'm seriously getting one. How does the M2 compare to the M4? You prefer the M2? Thanks!
Old 09-08-17, 03:46 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I came from an M2.

-RCF feels/IS more special
-M2 feels quicker due to the turbo torque, but up top, negligible
-RCF V8 IS more special than the run of mill M2 engine
-M2 interior is econobox
-M2 is lighter on its feet as it should be
-RCF is a GT coupe
-RCF auto is much better around town
-M2 DCT is more responsive up and down shifts, but the RCF makes more sense to me for what it is expected to do (90% Sport+ manual)
-M ecosystem has much better modding options due to being a bigger market than the newbie F
-RCF looks more special as the M2 always felt a little too stubby and much more boy racer
-You sit higher in the M2 which makes sense given its commuter car 2-series chassis

You know where the additional $20K goes in the RCF. M2 has superior resale value. RCF will take a few more years to settle, but will be fine long-run relatively speaking.
The following 2 users liked this post by ROK:
Deanrcf (09-08-17), Lexura1414 (09-08-17)
Old 09-08-17, 04:53 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I love turbo cars but I love naturally aspirated cars even more. Congrats on the buy, you can't never go wrong with a M2.
Old 09-08-17, 05:19 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't believe in bashing either. At the end of the day, its what makes you happy that counts. I don't think the RCF is too slow for what you get. Messed around with an M4 on the way back from Vegas and I was pretty surprised he couldn't blow me away. Maybe he couldn't drive, but I was expecting him to pull away steadily up top. Whoever got the jump, kept it. All I have is an exhaust and light weight wheels. I do agree the modding potential for the M2 is way better. By the way, spent 8 hours in traffic on the way back from Vegas on Labor Day and the seats felt great. Definitely the most comfortable car I've owned and I have a FX35 as well
Old 09-08-17, 05:43 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Man every time I drive my F, the snug cockpit feeling of the red seats makes me feel like I am ready to F the roads up! Performance comes 2nd, I rather look good while driving!
Old 09-08-17, 06:50 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My apologies because this thread was not meant to bash the rcf. Again I really liked my car but just wanted something forced induction and the new m2 is Amazing from everything I have read.. Would I have kept the rcf is it had been lighter and possibly more torque hell yeah but lexus mainly focuses on luxury first and that's cool...
To each his own so lets be respectful to each other..
The following users liked this post:
Lexura1414 (09-08-17)
Old 09-08-17, 06:56 PM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2011 CTS-V. I bought it with 22,000 miles on it and drove it for about 2 years and put 15k miles on it.

In that time, it spent a cumulative 6 weeks in the shop. It leaked, it blew a transmission seal, it blew a shock. I can't even remember the other stuff that broke. It was a blast to drive, but I got sick and tired of having to bring it in to get fixed all the time. The final straw was when I contacted Cadillac customer support about the myriad of issues I had and how I was pretty disappointed in the vehicle. They told me 'they were sorry I was disappointed.' If they had sdone something to try and keep me as a customer, I would have been happy.

The quality of the car was crap. Customer service was crap. For the money I paid, I deserved better than that. So, it's a fun car when it runs, but my experience sucked. I'll keep my RC-F over the CTS-V any day of the week. If you want to talk about econobox interior and outdated tech, the Cadillac terrible. The CUE system in the V3 is horrific as well.

I agree, they should have put the larger screen in the RC-F and the infotainment system interface is definitely clunky, but other than that, I have no issues with the car.

Just another viewpoint from someone who owned both vehicles.

Originally Posted by mjn88
I also get looks and people asking about my car and what not all the time but it's like were at the bottom of the barrel in terms of power. I never go to other car forums on purpose but i stumbled upon some while searching about the fuel pump issue and there are a crap ton of luxury car forums talking MAD trash on our F cars saying that F's are under powered, have fuel pump issues, ugly, to expensive, giving crazy discounts on them because no one wants them, too slow, and easy to beat in the streets. The CTSV forum literally said "It's always nice to pull up to a RCF and have them looking into my taillights". Anyway I just feel like I bought the car because its a Lexus with a V8 and made more power than my GS350 F Sport so I was stoked. Like I said I just don't understand their logic on making a 2 ton car with a tiny navi and with limited luxury and power. I'm really hoping Lexus comes out with a line similar to BMW. The BMW 5 series has a new line called the M550i which has 456hp/480tq twin turbo v8 and thats not even the M5.I would love for Lexus to have the selection of vehicles and motors to go through that truly compete HARD with everyone. To my understanding Lexus is making something similar to the 5 series line and there is a LC-F and redesigned GS-F coming so we'll see if I can upgrade later down the line. I will always be a Lexus fan, just hoping they can get closer into the race with the other auto makers!
Old 09-08-17, 06:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Well said.👍👍👍👍👍

Originally Posted by ROK
I came from an M2.

-M2 interior is econobox
-RCF is a GT coupe
-M2 DCT is more responsive up and down shifts, but the RCF makes more sense to me for what it is expected to do (90% Sport+ manual)
-M ecosystem has much better modding options due to being a bigger market than the newbie F
-RCF looks more special as the M2 always felt a little too stubby and much more boy racer
-You sit higher in the M2 which makes sense given its commuter car 2-series chassis

You know where the additional $20K goes in the RCF. M2 has superior resale value. RCF will take a few more years to settle, but will be fine long-run relatively speaking.
Old 09-08-17, 07:14 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mjn88
Yeah...to be honest its a nice car and all but its just not what i was expecting. I like that the car has a big N/A V8 with 467hp that makes an incredible sound, a pretty nice cabin and sweet gauges and seats plus Lexus reliability. Some of the things i don't like are that the car is too slow/heavy,
M2 isn't that much faster than a RCF:
http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/m2
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.6 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 18.3 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 28.6 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.4 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.4 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.5 sec @ 113 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 163 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 155 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.99 g

http://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/rc-f

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.9 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 16.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.7 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.5 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 171 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 154 ft
Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.95 g

Sorry to see you leave. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 09-08-17, 07:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmo1
My apologies because this thread was not meant to bash the rcf. Again I really liked my car but just wanted something forced induction and the new m2 is Amazing from everything I have read.. Would I have kept the rcf is it had been lighter and possibly more torque hell yeah but lexus mainly focuses on luxury first and that's cool...
To each his own so lets be respectful to each other..
No need to apologize. None of your posts have been about bashing the car or brand. You simply are stating your assessment on the car and the cons outweigh the pros in your case at this time. I can relate to some of your cons like the power (low-end torque) and some of the interior shortcomings but the uniqueness, head-turning styling (I get lots of compliments and stares), rare Japanese V8 NA engine and note make it all worth it for me... still...

Enjoy your M2.
Old 09-08-17, 07:35 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Enough of the RC-F comparison..hahaha. OP, why did you not go for either an M4 or M3?
Old 09-08-17, 08:09 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I've decided to move into a F80 M3 Comp Package once my RC-F lease is up. I'll still have my 350 as a daily, so I'll still be in the Lexus family just in case they decide to improve the RC-F. I really think they should throw the RCF engine into the 3IS body.
Old 09-08-17, 11:24 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
I came from an M2.

-M2 interior is econobox
-RCF is a GT coupe

Yeah but you can buy a low milage M2 and another brand new daily car for the price of one RCF. Just sayin'. I love Lexus. Just wished they put more thought and power into their cars, thats all.
Old 09-08-17, 11:55 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

The original OP has a right to his opinion but I think part of the problem was his expectation. He was expecting High Strung sports car what he got was more of a low-key GT car. If you ever read the designer of the RCF and what his goal and Mission was with the car he achieve exactly what he was looking to build, fast comfortable Highway car that could do some track day events as well. The RCF was never intended to be this hard core Focus type of machine. The problem with the RCF it was touted as being this sort of competition for the M4 M3 but in reality two totally different cars. Now he does make some valid points when it comes to RCF it is too heavy. It's not as sorted out as it should be. This cookie cutter approach that lexus took in regards to motor, same motor 3 different cars with no major significant change from the original motor from ISF or even between each other. I like the fact that lexus kept N/A motor but knowing its competition would now be all using some sort of forced induction they would need to step up there game and should have made 5.7L 500hp 430tq 3740lb 8000k rpm RCF.

Now I found this statement from OP very telling as well.
"Also, every car in it's class will blow by us like no other. Lexus performance cars are literally the butt of every joke to everyone on every car enthusiasts forum. I like the car, but I just really wished Lexus put more effort in making the performance cars better, with more power and more everything. If they're chasing down the germans for competition, they are FAILING miserably. The fact that they're doing so many dealer incentives to get these cars off the lots means that they aren't selling very well and everyone knows it, in fact people on other forums point out that fact all the time and laugh at us quite frankly."

Especially these two sentence look at them closely.
"Lexus performance cars are literally the butt of every joke to everyone on every car enthusiasts forum" and this
"The fact that they're doing so many dealer incentives to get these cars off the lots means that they aren't selling very well and everyone knows it, in fact people on other forums point out that fact all the time and laugh at us quite frankly".
He referenced twice how he feels people in other forums are laughing Lexus performance cars. That statement for me speaks of someone having their self-esteem tied into what type of car they drive and how others perceive them because what other people are saying on internet. It's status symbol, not something to be driven and enjoyed based on its merits.

I drive car based on few things what I'm looking to get out of it, how I enjoy it, does it fit my needs etc. Not on what others think of me or car. Back in 2004 had Dodge SRT4 paid 20K brand new. I wanted Fast fun and easy to mod car, so I dropped another 6k in upgrade GT40 turbo with all the supporting mods in 2900lb car that made 440whp it was beast. People would make comments it's just neon, cheap dodge, it's ugly etc I didn't care because when I would destroy Vettes , Porsches, mustang etc. And when they lost the usual comment its still neon my reply you are current and you just lost to this neon loved it.
Use to hear the same thing about my ISF not so much any more especially after several people seeing my car run. A true auto enthusiasts appreciate all types of cars and isn't swayed by internet hype.

Like I stated early the OP has right to state his opinion and if that's how he feel that's ok. I wish you good luck with M2 great car I'm surprised you did go with m4 or Alfa Q, but like I said find a car that fits your needs.
Old 09-09-17, 12:09 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Like I said before, try to actually find people in real life that talk down the car and make sure they're not just keyboard warriors driving lowered beaters.

First of all I barely meet anyone that know what the F is, even less people that know it's heavier than it's competitors, which has narrowed down to only ONE person in my life that's actually acknowledged it's a heavy car. People will always think something of your car but again, in the case of any F, you have 100 people admiring your car with no knowledge of it's setbacks before you find 1 reasonable hater.

Quick Reply: It's Been Fun, Time to Trade