RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Insurance- how much are you paying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 05:54 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So true.

But I think CA it is SUPPOSEDLY illegal for the insurance company to charge premiums factoring in someone's credit score? So I guess in the GREAT REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA the insurance company just charge EVERYONE higher premiums?

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
One thing no one has mentioned is CREDIT SCORE. Your credit score(whatever model they use) will heavily influence your rate more than your age or driving record.

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-17-17 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 06:12 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Don't even get me started on the premiums for my teenage kids.

BTW, it was CHEAPER to "assign" my old MB SLK55 AMG to my kids versus our other Lexus vehicles (our hybrids, CT200h and RX450h would have been a lot higher. Same for the LX570, although a bit cheaper versus the hybrids. I guess it costs a lot to fix the hybrids in case of a crash). Our Ford E450 chasis RV would have cost the least for our teenage kids, but it won't be reasonable since who drives around a 33 feet RV in town anyway?

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Region: Southeast
Clean record
Excellent Credit
Multiple vehicles + Home Bundle

and still.... $190 / month

I think age is the biggest negative factor in my scenario....
Old 08-17-17, 07:53 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Region: Southeast
Clean record
Excellent Credit
Multiple vehicles + Home Bundle

and still.... $190 / month

I think age is the biggest negative factor in my scenario....
Well think of it this way--You're 25, driving an rcf and own a house, which I would think is way ahead of people in your age group. Bravo!
Pretty sure $190 ain't hurting you. It will just delay buying the Tom's stuff 😉
Old 08-18-17, 08:04 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

$604 annually with Ameriprise (Costco). Included 2001 F-150 (liability only).

Discounts: MULTI-CAR, PREMIER SAFETY, TENURE, COSTCO, MATURE, GOOD DRIVER
Multi-car
$1000 deductible
300/100 UM/BI
Pleasure use <7k yr.

Credit score 830+
Old 08-18-17, 08:10 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Don't even get me started on the premiums for my teenage kids.

BTW, it was CHEAPER to "assign" my old MB SLK55 AMG to my kids versus our other Lexus vehicles (our hybrids, CT200h and RX450h would have been a lot higher. Same for the LX570, although a bit cheaper versus the hybrids. I guess it costs a lot to fix the hybrids in case of a crash). Our Ford E450 chasis RV would have cost the least for our teenage kids, but it won't be reasonable since who drives around a 33 feet RV in town anyway?
I'm a little surprised that it was cheaper to assign the SLK to kids.
I would assume that it would still cost more to fix compared to a hybrid but can't really comment without knowing the year of the SLK.

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Well think of it this way--You're 25, driving an rcf and own a house, which I would think is way ahead of people in your age group. Bravo!
Pretty sure $190 ain't hurting you. It will just delay buying the Tom's stuff 😉
Haha thanks Ming.
Just a bit rough since insurance for home + car combined is like 5k a year and I feel like should be able to lower the premium...
lol on the Tom's!
Old 08-18-17, 11:32 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
So true.

But I think CA it is SUPPOSEDLY illegal for the insurance company to charge premiums factoring in someone's credit score? So I guess in the GREAT REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA the insurance company just charge EVERYONE higher premiums?
Without knowing how CA runs its insurance market it is difficult to determine whether this results in an "increased cost for everyone" or just simply a different insurance market based on different factors. Would be fun to know the profit margin of a CA insurance co. vs one in a state with very minimal regulations. I would bet anything the free state has a higher profit margin for the insurance co, but the absolute lowest attainable rate is probably lower, but it would be fun to see how much of a difference would exist. CA is bizarrely communist on many things, not so much on others.

One thing that always annoyed me is the cost to run a 2nd vehicle. For example I would gladly sign an affadavit/contract or something stating that under no circumstances would both vehicles be driven simultaneously; yet, somehow, I still have to pay mostly full price for a 2nd vehicle on liability that is just sitting in my driveway or parked in a garage, even though, while it is doing so, it creates little real liability risk whatsoever, unless someone stole it from my driveway and started
running over people with it.

-Mike
Old 08-18-17, 12:28 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I haven't figured out how to drive two cars at once either....I know what you mean. Glad to hear your not in that 4K group anymore. That's insane!
Old 08-18-17, 01:35 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by drgrant
Without knowing how CA runs its insurance market it is difficult to determine whether this results in an "increased cost for everyone" or just simply a different insurance market based on different factors. Would be fun to know the profit margin of a CA insurance co. vs one in a state with very minimal regulations. I would bet anything the free state has a higher profit margin for the insurance co, but the absolute lowest attainable rate is probably lower, but it would be fun to see how much of a difference would exist. CA is bizarrely communist on many things, not so much on others.

One thing that always annoyed me is the cost to run a 2nd vehicle. For example I would gladly sign an affadavit/contract or something stating that under no circumstances would both vehicles be driven simultaneously; yet, somehow, I still have to pay mostly full price for a 2nd vehicle on liability that is just sitting in my driveway or parked in a garage, even though, while it is doing so, it creates little real liability risk whatsoever, unless someone stole it from my driveway and started

-Mike
Originally Posted by FastFord
I haven't figured out how to drive two cars at once either....I know what you mean. Glad to hear your not in that 4K group anymore. That's insane!
Agree, I have spent roughly half of the past 15 years with 3 cars and only two drivers (my wife and I), it always irritates me that the car that typically has the highest insurance gets driven the least (my fault because the fun car is typically not the dd). And when the fun car is being driven, at least one of our other cars cannot be driven, yet we get no break on insurance.
Old 08-18-17, 07:18 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Exactly!! A few years ago there were just two drivers (my wife and I) for our multi-vehicles. At any given time MAXIMUMLY really only two vehicles will be on the road. But I still got charged more than I think is fair.

Now with two teenage kids driving (a third teenage kids is not too far behind), our rates had skyrocketed!! I can't wait till September when college first year starts with our oldest kid so I can tell the insurance company to take him off!! (Savings of about $2400 a year with just one kid!!!)

Originally Posted by drgrant

-Mike
Old 08-18-17, 07:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

My SLK55 AMG is 2006 low mileage (56k odo). BTW thinking about selling it since it just sitting in the driveway. I drive the RCF mostly now.

I'm a little surprised that it was cheaper to assign the SLK to kids.
I would assume that it would still cost more to fix compared to a hybrid but can't really comment without knowing the year of the SLK.

Haha thanks Ming.
Just a bit rough since insurance for home + car combined is like 5k a year and I feel like should be able to lower the premium...
lol on the Tom's!
Old 08-20-17, 02:06 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I disagree. I have over 800 credit rating and my insurance is still high, comparably speaking. Accident records dominate your premium

im surprised no one included the AMOUNT of liability coverage for medical and property in case you are at fault. A policy can easily double if you have 250/500/250 vs minimal 10/20/10
Agreed. I bought a new Tacoma last December and was astounded to see my FICO was 834. Yet...my insurance is also very high. $120/month
Old 08-20-17, 07:22 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

lol at credit score affecting your insurance the most. getting an accurate quote does require a social security number. having lapsed insurance or many claims/points will effect it.
Old 08-22-17, 02:25 AM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

~$1000/mo through USAA. 5 cars. Who knows how many claims across 4 drivers.
Old 08-22-17, 08:21 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazin
~$1000/mo through USAA. 5 cars. Who knows how many claims across 4 drivers.
My condolences... I thought I had it bad at what was $4000/yr...

-Mike