RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Advice on buying a used RC F

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 02:11 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Advice on buying a used RC F

I've started looking for a 2015 RC F and thought I'd check if there are any issues I should watch out for. I came across one with a recall notice for rear wheel arch corrosion in the Carfax report, so there's that. Was that an issue for all 2015s? And if so, is there any way to check the extent of the repairs? I want to avoid buying a car with any body or paint work done to it.

Thanks
Old 08-09-17, 02:14 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
I've started looking for a 2015 RC F and thought I'd check if there are any issues I should watch out for. I came across one with a recall notice for rear wheel arch corrosion in the Carfax report, so there's that. Was that an issue for all 2015s? And if so, is there any way to check the extent of the repairs? I want to avoid buying a car with any body or paint work done to it.

Thanks
not all 2015 had the recall. Believe mine was build in 06/15 and wasn't in the recall. Besides the brake squeak and fuel reflash (both covered in TSB), its a solid car
The following users liked this post:
Yes (08-10-17)
Old 08-10-17, 09:18 AM
Yes

Thanks for the info. On a related note, I just looked at the car again that had the recall notice for corrosion in the Carfax report. It's being sold by a Lexus dealership. The strange thing is the recall has disappeared from the Carfax report. Can dealerships scrub that information?

What's also a little unusual is it has fewer than 10,000 miles but they're not offering it as Lexus certified. Makes me wonder if they did body work on it and are trying to hide that information. It's a one-owner car bought at the same dealership that's offering it for sale now.
Old 08-10-17, 10:30 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the info. On a related note, I just looked at the car again that had the recall notice for corrosion in the Carfax report. It's being sold by a Lexus dealership. The strange thing is the recall has disappeared from the Carfax report. Can dealerships scrub that information?

What's also a little unusual is it has fewer than 10,000 miles but they're not offering it as Lexus certified. Makes me wonder if they did body work on it and are trying to hide that information. It's a one-owner car bought at the same dealership that's offering it for sale now.
The Carfax might have been disputed if the vehicle did in fact not need the recall but most stores do not go to that extent. You can call Carfax and ask, Carfax reps typically let dealers know they can call and ask about inaccurate history. Certification will depend on your dealer's objectives and management, if the overall cost to bring it to CPO condition and apply certification is too much they will price it lower and hope to sell with minimal recon. Typically non-cpo cars are more profitable for the F&I department if their CPO objectives are not behind, I would never extend my warranty if a CPO warranty was in place.

With all that said, obviously I prefer certified and if I was buying a non-CPO I'd go the private route.
Yes (08-11-17)
Old 08-10-17, 03:21 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

As I recall, Lexus HQ has some specific guidelines for a vehicle to qualify as Lexus "L Certified". So I would call Lexus HQ and ask or look around on Lexus website.

As another CL stated, may be the selling Lexus dealer wants to price it LOWER to push it out QUICKER? IDK? OR it just COST TOO MUCH TO BRING IT TO "L CERTIFIED" SPECS? Maybe the pads and discs all needed changing? Or?? Too many body panels got replaced and repainted? Even the BEST body shop with the best bodywork, an expert can tell what had happened.

Check to make sure ALL MAJOR BODY PANELS GOT MATCHING VIN STICKERS!!!

Lastly, if you are not too far from another Lexus dealership, maybe take it for an independent inspection? But this will cost you some dough though. More than likely if you approach another nearby Lexus dealership, they will DO THEIR BEST too MATCH OR BEAT that original deal!!!

​​​​​​​Good luck.

Yes (08-11-17)
Old 08-11-17, 09:03 AM
Yes

The dealership is about 350 miles from me, so I can't inspect it myself. I had been talking to a salesperson through email and asked about the recall and if any body work had been done to the car. No reply after more than 24 hours. My feeling is it probably did have corrosion repaired. It's a Colorado car and they salt their roads in the winter. Seems like they're trying to hide that from prospective buyers. I'll keep looking.
Old 08-11-17, 10:32 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I would NOT buy a car from any state that gets SNOW for winters...
Old 08-11-17, 10:51 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
I would NOT buy a car from any state that gets SNOW for winters...
That's funny, but for a car that's not that old, for a Lexus, or Toyota? LOL. Not really an issue, as long as standard due diligence is taken... EG, on a private or non CPO car that's used I'd have a mechanic put the car up on a lift and look for any obvious suspension issues or wheel damage. Corrosion on a 2015 isn't likely outside of the recall.

-Mike
Old 08-12-17, 03:45 PM
Yes

I'm considering a car that currently has a front license plate mounted. If you remove the plate and bracket, will there be any sign that it was there? New Mexico doesn't require front plates.
Old 08-12-17, 09:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Probably yes due to weather/UV exposure?

I'm considering a car that currently has a front license plate mounted. If you remove the plate and bracket, will there be any sign that it was there? New Mexico doesn't require front plates.
Old 08-13-17, 12:39 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Probably yes due to weather/UV exposure?
Other than fading, is there anything to worry about? It only has 3,000 miles, so it probably didn't have much UV exposure.
Old 08-13-17, 01:11 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

IDK, my RCF never had a front plate (the front License plate bracket assembly was in a bag in the trunk with all screws brand new). When I bought it as an "L Certified" from a Lexus dealership in SoCal with 2xxx miles back at the end of October 2015, I did not look closely at the black bumper behind the front black grill. The black front bumper had some white spots. I thought initially it might be some tissue paper that got blown away and got stuck. When I tried to peel them off I realized it was some paint damage to the black front bumper behind the black grill. I took it to another Lexus dealer and they took the whole front end assembly off and repainted the faulty front black bumper. All good now.

BTW, I missed the deal where now available"L Certified UNLIMITED MILEAGE" which started January 2016 AFTER I bought mine. Still all good and no regrets ($59000 plus T&T at the time.)

Other than fading, is there anything to worry about? It only has 3,000 miles, so it probably didn't have much UV exposure.

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-13-17 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 10:53 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought mine used, for $53k , 11k miles, I south fl, from an old guy who leased who returned it because 'it was to much car' , babied it the whole time.
Old 08-14-17, 07:06 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine is available for sale $52K with 12K miles....
Old 08-18-17, 10:59 AM
Yes

Thanks for the help. I just pulled the trigger on this. It's a Certified 2015 with 3,000 miles. Got them down to $53,900. Then got them to throw in 3M crystalline to close the deal. Felt like I got a decent deal.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a used RC F