RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Owners dropped on lowering springs - CAUTION - Leaking shocks anyone?

Old 07-28-17, 10:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Owners dropped on lowering springs - CAUTION - Leaking shocks anyone?

I have been on RSR Downs for over a year now and I only put on only about 4k miles with them. Both my front shocks are leaking oil. I saw it with my own eyes at my Lexus dealer when hoisted up (wish I had taken pics), and my Lexus service rep said it is likely due to the drop adding continual stress on the shocks. Had it been just one shock it could have been perhaps considered a defect and unrelated to the drop, but I agree it is hard to deny it is likely due to the drop when both front are leaking in a similar fashion. The "shocking" part (pun intended) is there are small signs the rear are experiencing the same thing

Owners who are on lowering springs, can you do me a favor and check to see if you have any leaks and state what springs/drop you have? You may or may not have the same symptoms as I do but my symptoms are a metallic rattle noise over road cracks when sharp suspension compressions occur and thought they were the pads/clips loose but the dealer checked those out and everything is tight.

Is it just my bad luck with perhaps a bad batch of shocks or is this a warning to all of us we should stay away from lowering springs on this car. P.S. Never had issues with my '14 IS on RSR springs for two years.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-28-17 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rjmalm (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 10:44 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

WTF...It's ONLY 1.25" - 1.5" drop versus stock......Are you BOTTOMING out...

I'll report back with results from my observation...

PS: Good Luck to you......GOOD news...COILOVERS......Now which ones...

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I have been on RSR Downs for over a year now and I only put on only about 4k miles with them. Both my front shocks are leaking oil. I saw it with my own eyes at my Lexus dealer when hoisted up (wish I had taken pics), and my Lexus service rep said it is likely due to the drop adding continual stress on the shocks. Had it been just one shock it could have been perhaps considered a defect and unrelated to the drop, but I agree it is hard to deny it is likely due to the drop when both front are leaking in a similar fashion. The "shocking" part (pun intended) is there are small signs the rear are experiencing the same thing

Owners who are on lowering springs, can you do me a favor and check to see if you have any leaks and state what springs/drop you have? You may or may not have the same symptoms as I do but my symptoms are a metallic rattle noise over road cracks when sharp suspension compressions occur and thought they were the pads/clips loose but the dealer checked those out and everything is tight.

Is it just my bad luck with perhaps a bad batch of shocks or is this a warning to all of us we should stay away from lowering springs on this car. P.S. Never had issues with my '14 IS on RSR springs for two years.
Old 07-28-17, 12:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by 16GSF00336
WTF...It's ONLY 1.25" - 1.5" drop versus stock......Are you BOTTOMING out...

I'll report back with results from my observation...

PS: Good Luck to you......GOOD news...COILOVERS......Now which ones...

Yeah it's puzzling to say the least which is why the more of us check, the more we can come to a reasonable conclusion on this.

Not bottoming out and the ride is great with the exception of the rattle.

Thanks for checking and post when you can.
Old 07-28-17, 01:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

That typically occurs when the spring rates are too soft for the shocks to control the vertical movement of the springs. As a result, unnecessary and abrupt compression and rebound of the dampers result in premature failure. I have suffered the same consequence many years ago with the Tein S-techs. The springs were garbage and ended up leaking the front two shocks. I ended up swapping them out with Koni Yellow adjustable dampers combined with much higher spring rate Megan race springs. I have had this setup since 2012 and spring/shock combo is still stiff and solid as ever.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-28-17 at 01:57 PM.
corradoMR2 (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 01:21 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

a $70-$80K performance car deserves better than aftermarket springs matched to stock shocks. it's a travesty so many choose to take shortcuts instead of doing it right by installing fully adjustable coilovers from a reputable vendor. and that's not all. they then fail to realize you need suspension adjustability so they again fail to buy the proper parts to get it to align within spec.

you're not alone. i see it time and time again. it's comedic how ignorant so many people are yet they type up stuff saying how awesome their new setup is and other mindless idiots pile on. joke's on them. sorry man.
MisterSkiz (08-04-17)
Old 07-28-17, 01:41 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have swift springs and I don't have the metallic rattling sound. Question, does the leaking apparent on your garage floor? Am asking because I don't have access to a lift or hoist. If, yes, we, springs owners, can check our floors..
Old 07-28-17, 02:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by ROK
a $70-$80K performance car deserves better than aftermarket springs matched to stock shocks. it's a travesty so many choose to take shortcuts instead of doing it right by installing fully adjustable coilovers from a reputable vendor. and that's not all. they then fail to realize you need suspension adjustability so they again fail to buy the proper parts to get it to align within spec.

you're not alone. i see it time and time again. it's comedic how ignorant so many people are yet they type up stuff saying how awesome their new setup is and other mindless idiots pile on. joke's on them. sorry man.
I don't disagree coilovers are the best option though RSR from my experience has provided reputable products based on R&D specific to the car. However, this is potentially one big fail in my book - lesson potentially learned here.

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
I have swift springs and I don't have the metallic rattling sound. Question, does the leaking apparent on your garage floor? Am asking because I don't have access to a lift or hoist. If, yes, we, springs owners, can check our floors..
Interesting you mention leaking. I see a suspicious spot on the floor (only on the left side) that lines up with the leak/location, so I would say yes, you'll see it if it is as bad as mine. But just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not started. I'd get it jacked up.

I decided to jack up my car in my garage and take pics to hopefully help others check it out for themselves. You can clearly see the oil (shine) at the base of the coil/strut and bottom suspension arm.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-28-17 at 02:35 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
05RollaXRS (07-28-17), 16GSF00336 (07-28-17), Lexura1414 (07-28-17), rjmalm (07-28-17)
Old 07-29-17, 05:05 AM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

No issues on my swift springs thus far. I think I will research some bilstein shocks.
Old 07-29-17, 07:40 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by cosmo1
No issues on my swift springs thus far. I think I will research some bilstein shocks.
Thanks. It's possible the slightly stiffer compression vs RSR may make the difference.
Old 07-29-17, 08:20 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Lexus isn't the 1st brand to encounter this situation with lowering springs. Always spend the money and get a good set of coilovers...always.
Old 07-29-17, 11:22 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

My understanding is the aftermarket spring/stock damper setup will always result in premature wear. The question is how much time you get. How long did you have this setup? My personal experience with previous cars were 12-15k miles on this setup before shocks wear.
Old 07-29-17, 11:23 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmo1
Bilstein makes a great shcok. I wish they offered a coilover set for the Fs.
Old 07-30-17, 03:29 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
My understanding is the aftermarket spring/stock damper setup will always result in premature wear. The question is how much time you get. How long did you have this setup? My personal experience with previous cars were 12-15k miles on this setup before shocks wear.
Yeah I also knew it was a matter time but never this short a period. I only had them for 4k miles over about 1 and a half years... though the car did sit in my garage for months in winter if that matters...

My experience with lowered springs had always been positive though I can't say I've kept cars very long to know the long-term effects. I can say that on my USB IS on RSR Downs, I had no issues with the shocks for the duration of 20k miles when I then traded it in.
Old 08-15-17, 12:44 PM
dannyho
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RSR Springs

I hope that don't happen for me. I just had RSR spring installed. I will keep an eye on this. Any recommendation for good coilovers for my 15 RCF?
Old 08-15-17, 06:13 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyho
I hope that don't happen for me. I just had RSR spring installed. I will keep an eye on this. Any recommendation for good coilovers for my 15 RCF?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...t-springs.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owners dropped on lowering springs - CAUTION - Leaking shocks anyone?