RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Owners dropped on lowering springs - CAUTION - Leaking shocks anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 06:08 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Update. My dealer was generous enough to order new front struts under warranty. I need to make a decision over the next several days. Would like to hear your thoughts on options?

- I don't want to spend $4-5K on coilovers. (In Canada, prices with exchange rate + duties double the cost compared to the US)
- I don't want to go back to stock springs since the wheel gap is eye torture to me. Wheel gap elimination is the priority above all else (ride, handling, track)

OPTONS?
1. Keep the RSR springs installed on the new OEM struts? If no one else has leaks, perhaps I've just had bad luck with a bad batch of OEM struts? (Note, my rear OEM shocks are fine)
2. Get Swift Spec R springs (slightly stiffer) installed on the new OEM struts, if this will make any difference?
3. Aftermarket struts (Bilstein B8??) with my existing RSR springs?
4. Any other options?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 08-25-17 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 06:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

need to get aftermarket struts that can handle lowering and higher spring rates, its just going to happen again
Old 08-25-17, 08:26 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man up and get a proper set of adjustables, adjustment kit etc. do it right or stay stock. Maybe this car is too much of a stretch for you and for many others who slap on springs that never should be paired with stock shocks.
Old 08-25-17, 08:28 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I used to hear this was a problem with the older Lexus' when lowering springs would get put on the factory shocks. The only exception was the MKIV Supra's shocks since a lot of SC guys paired them with lowering springs.

I figured it wouldn't be a problem for the RC-F since I have seen newer Lexus' with a similar setup. Is there any cheaper options for coilovers like BC Racing, Fortune Auto, or Megan available for the RC-F.
Old 08-26-17, 10:13 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

This is something I always live by. Whether its with my car or in life. Do it right the first time! if you want to be lowered get Coils. I practice the same mentality on my GSF. Pay a little extra do it right the first time and you'll have peace of mind (which is worth more than anything). I cut corners with my 14 IS350 and ended up hating it in the long run. I would recommend getting the coils which are build to handle a lowered car.
Old 08-27-17, 07:08 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. If no further comments, I'm leaning towards replacing the OEM struts under warranty mounted on the RSR springs. Here's why:

1. So far no one has come forth with leaking shocks on their lowering springs and there are a few owners with RSR and Swift springs in this forum... which makes me wonder if there wasn't already an issue with my front OEM shocks to begin. Remember, I have only had my springs on for 4k miles, 99% of it casual city/hwy driving and I never bottomed out or hit a bump hard so the leaking is not normal even for lowering springs. To note, my RC F was purchased as an executive-driven "demo" with 4k miles so who knows what it went through then.

2. Was hoping there is a set of aftermarket struts/shocks (i.e. Bilstein, or any other) available designed to be used with lowering springs but no one has mentioned these (yet).

3. Coilovers are likely out as good ones are too pricey for what I am willing to pay on what I want to get out of the car (wheel gap reduction). I have Neo Motorsport coilovers on my current IS - not impressed on the noise they make over the slightest road imperfections - car sounds like an old car in need of new shocks yet I've heard even some pricier coilovers make noise. Not willing to risk making the RC F sound and feel cheap unless anyone can vouch for an entry-level set such as BC or Megan coilovers which is the max I'd be willing to spend the money on.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-17, 08:45 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I understand why you can't justify the expense of coilovers solely for cosmetic reasons. If you do decide to go for coilovers I would not go with BC or Megan Coilovers they are cheaply made. Several ISF owner have used BC with swift springs. The feed back has been mixed, some have reported saying they felt ride quality was not what they expected while some reporting the ride quality felt cheap while others felt that the ride quality was acceptable and not bad at all. So the BC coilovers with swift springs has no definitive answer for me it comes down to expectations of each individual owner.

So if you decide to go with coilovers I would go with either RR Racing's $3400 or KW starting $ 2800 and up. Either of those two coilovers would most likely guaranteed really good ride quality everything that your looking for with any guesswork.

Now if you do decide to go with lowering springs I would go with Swift Springs why because I've driven ISF's that had Eibach and another with Swift springs. I preferred Swift Springs why? ride quality was just better. Whereas the eibach felt alittle floaty I preferred the ride quality on the Swift Springs.

The drop on swift springs are 1inch F and .6 inch in R. If you do some reach you'll see that just about all OEM shocks can withstand up to a 1 inch drop but any more than that you risk failure of the shocks. When you consider weight difference between your old IS and your new RCF with that big V8 in the front there's a huge difference. If you didn't have more than one inch drop in the back that maybe reason why they didn't fail.

There are few ISF owners with Swift Springs and Bilstein shock setup that seem very happy with this configuration.

Sorry for the long post I hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
corradoMR2 (08-29-17)
Old 08-28-17, 09:23 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Thats weird. Swift advertises a 1.3 front and 1 inch drop in rear.
Old 08-29-17, 06:57 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
Thats weird. Swift advertises a 1.3 front and 1 inch drop in rear.
My bad your correct, I forget that RCF utilizes the Swift Spring Spec-R 1.3F & 1.in R while ISF utilizes Swift Spring Sport Line 1.F & .6R. I would still go with Swift Spring they design their lowering springs to utilize each cars usable stroke. The original OP should go to the Swift site do some reading check out all the car forums to see how other people like swift springs in comparison to other companies out there such as eibach etc. Try to get as much feed back as possible. It's just really strange to see to shocks go out with such low miles at the same time.
Old 08-31-17, 12:19 PM
tarponman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I have been on RSR Downs for over a year now and I only put on only about 4k miles with them. Both my front shocks are leaking oil. I saw it with my own eyes at my Lexus dealer when hoisted up (wish I had taken pics), and my Lexus service rep said it is likely due to the drop adding continual stress on the shocks. Had it been just one shock it could have been perhaps considered a defect and unrelated to the drop, but I agree it is hard to deny it is likely due to the drop when both front are leaking in a similar fashion. The "shocking" part (pun intended) is there are small signs the rear are experiencing the same thing

Owners who are on lowering springs, can you do me a favor and check to see if you have any leaks and state what springs/drop you have? You may or may not have the same symptoms as I do but my symptoms are a metallic rattle noise over road cracks when sharp suspension compressions occur and thought they were the pads/clips loose but the dealer checked those out and everything is tight.

Is it just my bad luck with perhaps a bad batch of shocks or is this a warning to all of us we should stay away from lowering springs on this car. P.S. Never had issues with my '14 IS on RSR springs for two years.
I was getting an alignment done earlier today and low and behold my rear passenger side shock is leaking. I am on swift springs. I figure I'll buy 1 shock and have it installed for around $200. Keep an eye out guys.
Old 08-31-17, 02:00 PM
Paunguye
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

hey guys i have a 2017 RCF. Just recently installed swift springs in them. After install i've notice rattle sounds when i go over bumps in the rear.... Is that to be concern? Im getting my guy to check it out next week.... He also did alignment after the install and everything looks good.
Old 08-31-17, 02:25 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you you have adaptive suspension? Any member here, please correct me if I wrong but are lowering springs not compatible with this suspension?

Last edited by Lexura1414; 08-31-17 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-17, 02:59 PM
Paunguye
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Do you you have adaptive suspension? Any member here, please correct me if I wrong but are lowering springs not compatible with this suspension?
Yes i do! I heard coilover wouldn't be good for the Adaptive suspension.... I spoke to Figs and they said springs should be fine.
Old 09-01-17, 12:13 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm relieved to report...That all 4-Stock OEM Shocks on the GS-F are defective FREE...
Old 09-01-17, 02:02 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks for the comments guys. If no further comments, I'm leaning towards replacing the OEM struts under warranty mounted on the RSR springs. Here's why:

1. So far no one has come forth with leaking shocks on their lowering springs and there are a few owners with RSR and Swift springs in this forum... which makes me wonder if there wasn't already an issue with my front OEM shocks to begin. Remember, I have only had my springs on for 4k miles, 99% of it casual city/hwy driving and I never bottomed out or hit a bump hard so the leaking is not normal even for lowering springs. To note, my RC F was purchased as an executive-driven "demo" with 4k miles so who knows what it went through then.

2. Was hoping there is a set of aftermarket struts/shocks (i.e. Bilstein, or any other) available designed to be used with lowering springs but no one has mentioned these (yet).

3. Coilovers are likely out as good ones are too pricey for what I am willing to pay on what I want to get out of the car (wheel gap reduction). I have Neo Motorsport coilovers on my current IS - not impressed on the noise they make over the slightest road imperfections - car sounds like an old car in need of new shocks yet I've heard even some pricier coilovers make noise. Not willing to risk making the RC F sound and feel cheap unless anyone can vouch for an entry-level set such as BC or Megan coilovers which is the max I'd be willing to spend the money on.

Thanks!
Do whatever you want. If you don't want to get coils, then don't. Do what makes you happy and what you're capable of doing. People are OBVIOUSLY going to tell you to get coils as I would but I don't know your financial situation so you should just go with your gut.

Quick Reply: Owners dropped on lowering springs - CAUTION - Leaking shocks anyone?