Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Roll Race: Stock RC-F vs Stock BMW M4

Just saw this on the GTBoard

Old 06-18-17, 07:06 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Uggghhh...it always bothers me when I see the M4 spankin the F.......but..when I compare the reliability of both...well..that is why I remain on this forum ; -)
airlaird
Old 06-18-17, 07:28 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
Uggghhh...it always bothers me when I see the M4 spankin the F.......but..when I compare the reliability of both...well..that is why I remain on this forum ; -)
airlaird
When i bought the RCF, I am well aware the M4 is a tad faster. But dollar for dollar, for what i paid, my RCF is much faster. Given if the RCF, M4, CTS V, C63 are selling at the same price after discount, it would been the CTS V hands down for performance and overall package. BTW, reliability doesnt really matter until warranty expires after 5 years. Which most already changed cars by then
Old 06-18-17, 07:30 PM
tomsgsf
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

RCF rated 476HP ON CRANK, BMW IS RATED 450HP ON WHEEL. Totally different world
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (06-23-17)
Old 06-18-17, 07:35 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tomsgsf
RCF rated 476HP ON CRANK, BMW IS RATED 450HP ON WHEEL. Totally different world
if the RCF weighs the same as M4, it would be an even race
finny76 (06-23-17)
Old 06-18-17, 07:42 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Did the M4 have a passenger? The RCF had one so I am wondering if the M4 had it as well?

The 400 lbs weight difference does show its ugly side in the acceleration. The frankenstein chassis really adds a lot to the weight. If RCF was around 3700 lbs or so without the heavy middle IS-C portion (since a convertible is not going to be built anyway), it would have been a few tenths quicker. Regardless, I would get an RCF. The engine alone is worth some compromise in the acceleration.
Old 06-18-17, 07:49 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Had he been running Amsoil and Shell gas he would have taken the M4.
Old 06-18-17, 07:59 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

After owning several bmw's I would never own another... Would love to see the new sc vs that m3.
Old 06-18-17, 08:18 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Had he been running Amsoil and Shell gas he would have taken the M4.
.....lol......
Old 06-18-17, 08:38 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
When i bought the RCF, I am well aware the M4 is a tad faster. But dollar for dollar, for what i paid, my RCF is much faster. Given if the RCF, M4, CTS V, C63 are selling at the same price after discount, it would been the CTS V hands down for performance and overall package. BTW, reliability doesnt really matter until warranty expires after 5 years. Which most already changed cars by then
Reliability does matter- , some people buy cars to keep them for the long haul. Not everyone can afford to buy a car like this and throw it away every 2-3 years.

I have friends with old bimmers, audis, etc.... those cars are nice, but are often dumpster fires of randomly broken ****. I think if someone rode an RCF past 100K vs an M4 or something, the total costs comparison would be pretty hilarious by the time the cars were spent. (not to mention the aggravation of random broken ****, lol).

-Mike
Old 06-18-17, 09:05 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drgrant
Reliability does matter- , some people buy cars to keep them for the long haul. Not everyone can afford to buy a car like this and throw it away every 2-3 years.

I have friends with old bimmers, audis, etc.... those cars are nice, but are often dumpster fires of randomly broken ****. I think if someone rode an RCF past 100K vs an M4 or something, the total costs comparison would be pretty hilarious by the time the cars were spent. (not to mention the aggravation of random broken ****, lol).

-Mike
its a very rare case someone can afford a 60-90k+ car new will keep the car past 4-5 years after warranty. Most lease with tax benefit or are car enthusiast that want the newest, latest and best. Use IS F owners for example, most CURRENT owners bought second hand and rarely can you find someone owned one since 2008 (there is one on here). Price conscious consumers that keep cars until the wheels fall off usually buy Accord and Camry class and wouldn't splurge for an expensive performance car, upkeep cost and hope it doesn't break at all.
Yes i agree Germans will break much much easier and have much higher maintenance cost post warranty, but those units are usually passed onto secondhand buyer wannabe ballers. If they are too stupid to take ownership without buying extended warranty, they will pay the consequence.
Old 06-18-17, 09:58 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

its a very rare case someone can afford a 60-90k+ car new will keep the car past 4-5 years after warranty. Most lease with tax benefit or are car enthusiast that want the newest, latest and best. Use IS F owners for example, most CURRENT owners bought second hand and rarely can you find someone owned one since 2008 (there is one on here). Price conscious consumers that keep cars until the wheels fall off usually buy Accord and Camry class and wouldn't splurge for an expensive performance car, upkeep cost and hope it doesn't break at all.Yes i agree Germans will break much much easier and have much higher maintenance cost post warranty, but those units are usually passed onto secondhand buyer wannabe ballers. If they are too stupid to take ownership without buying extended warranty, they will pay the consequence.
While that is generally true there's a whole secondary market for performance cars, the dude that buys the CPO RCF or whatever might decide to hang onto it longer than the flash in the pan lease guy with the thick wallet. To these buyers, the reliability will be appreciated- for example, those dudes you just mentioned that bought the used ISF's- I would wager a guess that they bought them because they felt safer doing so than doing the same with other brands of used performance cars. Reliability matters- otherwise Lexus wouldn't really exist as a brand the way it does. I mean when it comes down to bones, people buy brands like Lexus and Acura because they want to stay away from broken **** syndrome (or overpriced parts syndrome) that infects lots of other car brands.

I've also noticed a trend even around here- there are a bunch of members here that seem to have some nice maintenance nightmare cars in their garage; but they also own a Lexus and it's probably their daily. There's a really good, captain obvious reason for this; by putting the commuting mileage on the Lexus they effectively hedge against repair bills on the "fun and/or better looking car".

Cars like the RCF are an interesting experiment in "Having your cake and eating it too". I for one will be curious when some folks start showing up around here with RCFs and GSFs that have actually put serious miles on them. Some of us, in addition to not throwing cars away every 2-3 years, also put on serious mileage. I literally cannot lease a car, not even a fun car, because even on a weekend car I'd blow out, or come pretty close to blowing out a 15K lease in under a year.

-Mike
Old 06-18-17, 10:09 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Not sure where this video was taken but that seems like a faster than normal pulling M4. Hard to tell I suppose. The M4 also will pound the RC F in higher elevations. Also in roll racing boost has a huge effect vs N/A cars. I forgot what magazine did a 1/4 but the M4 barely inched away, and it's a better set up platform.

I'm interested how the RC F would perform with the RR Racing Rotor swap and the lithium battery, that is 30lbs off of rotational mass, and overall 67lbs dropped, with RR's coil over's that would be a total of 107lbs shed. The M4 comes with track ready suspension, where as the RC F is like a GT Touring car. I wonder if the RC F had come from factory with better suspension if all the car magazines would have ripped on it as hard, it likely could have kept up with the M4 around the track, I've driven the M4 stock and it feels like my modded RC F. And then there is something to be said about heat soak, with 10quarts in the sump and N/A, I bet these two cars head to head for a few hours versus a minute would have a different outcome.

I bought CPO with just under 1,000 miles. I got a 9 year unlimited warranty zero deductible and road side, tires, etc. At 50,000 miles a year, someone is going to eat this trans and diff rebuild and it won't be me lol Maybe Toyota will pay to have my "lifetime fluids" changed or they're looking at a guranteed repair bill.

Buying a new RC F, the max warranty I believe is 9 years/125,000 miles
The following 2 users liked this post by danielTRLK:
BossMoss (06-18-17), finny76 (06-23-17)
Old 06-18-17, 10:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

its a very rare case someone can afford a 60-90k+ car new will keep the car past 4-5 years after warranty. Most lease with tax benefit or are car enthusiast that want the newest, latest and best. Use IS F owners for example, most CURRENT owners bought second hand and rarely can you find someone owned one since 2008 (there is one on here).
Me! I don't think I'm the only one. One of the mods on here has owned one since 2008, Lobuxracer. His wife drives a GSF. I believe there are others.

Lou
Old 06-18-17, 11:01 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

if the RCF weighs the same as M4, it would be an even race
Even race? I highly doubt it, rcf got killed by many bus lengths
finny76 (11-26-17)

Quick Reply: Roll Race: Stock RC-F vs Stock BMW M4