Flooring the RCF causes premature breakdown? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Flooring the RCF causes premature breakdown?

Old 06-15-17, 07:23 PM   #1
Spam89
Driver

Default Flooring the RCF causes premature breakdown?

Hey guys,
I don't know much about the RCF even though I have 3000 miles on it. My question is, will flooring the vehicle once or twice during a drive while the engine is warmed up cause faster wear and tear? I have about 3,000 miles and floor it from time to time to hear the exhaust for my own pleasure. Also, I am putting wawa premium gas in and so my 2nd question is, should I change to Shell gas?
Thanks guys!
Spam89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 07:27 PM   #2
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I floor mine every day, twice on Sundays..

it's a sports car, drive it as such.. not going to hurt it.
mjeds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjeds For This Useful Post:
cosmo1 (06-17-17)
Old 06-15-17, 07:36 PM   #3
isfvss
Lead Lap

These cars are tuned for premium fuel but the motor cant tell which brand just floor it to YOUR favourite gas station.
isfvss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isfvss For This Useful Post:
Deanrcf (06-15-17)
Old 06-15-17, 09:08 PM   #4
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

Come on It's not April 1st This thread just has to be a joke

Lou
flowrider is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flowrider For This Useful Post:
Lexura1414 (06-17-17)
Old 06-15-17, 09:38 PM   #5
danielTRLK
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by isfvss View Post
These cars are tuned for premium fuel but the motor cant tell which brand just floor it to YOUR favourite gas station.
oh the motor can't but your valves can lol

switch to Shell when possible.

Flooring this thing is actually healthy for it. Don't use it, you lose it. If you have a good engine oil, you can redline all day, everyday with minimal wear. I suspect the true redline for this engine is somewhere around 7,900RPM. I can't tell you how many times I redlined this engine and it just doesn't wear much.
danielTRLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 07:11 PM   #6
Spam89
Driver

Nice guys, that is what I want to hear! I never gas till redline but did full throttle a couple of times while feeling worried.

What oil do you recommend the danielTRKLK? My car is up to 3000 miles atm and got my first oil change at 1,000. Should I wait till 5,000 or get an oil change right now and then another at 5,000 miles?
Old 06-16-17, 07:30 PM   #7
JT2MA71
Lexus Test Driver

Flooring it is actually good for the engine. it keeps things clean, higher fuel pressures help clean the injectors, and intake valves. Higher exhaust pressures help clean exhaust valves and the whole entire exhaust system. The higher revs also mean higher oil pressure which keep everything clear and well lubricated. Coolant also flows a lot faster keeping the cooling system free of unwanted deposits. Not to mention, you get full movement of your right foot, which is also good for yourself
JT2MA71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 07:34 PM   #8
Spam89
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2MA71 View Post
Flooring it is actually good for the engine. it keeps things clean, higher fuel pressures help clean the injectors, and intake valves. Higher exhaust pressures help clean exhaust valves and the whole entire exhaust system. The higher revs also mean higher oil pressure which keep everything clear and well lubricated. Coolant also flows a lot faster keeping the cooling system free of unwanted deposits. Not to mention, you get full movement of your right foot, which is also good for yourself
Never knew that! Thanks! Guess I should floor it once or twice everytime I drive the vehicle then! What oil do you use or recommend? Also, should I change my oil at 3000 mile mark or wait till 5,000 mark?
Old 06-16-17, 08:17 PM   #9
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam89 View Post
Never knew that! Thanks! Guess I should floor it once or twice everytime I drive the vehicle then! What oil do you use or recommend? Also, should I change my oil at 3000 mile mark or wait till 5,000 mark?
oil recommendation is in your owners manual, your 5K oil change should be free, and depending on your dealer your 10K might also be, mine was..

Some dealers give the 5K and 10K service free, others only the 5K (which is all that Lexus actually pays for on the RCF), the confusion comes in because all other models get the 5k and 10k, where the RCF and GSF only get the 5K according to the owner documentation.
Old 06-16-17, 09:03 PM   #10
danielTRLK
Pole Position

I believe they all came with 20K free?

Do not follow the OEM OCI recommendation. It is a poor recommendation and will only lead to premature wear.

Here are a few choices that I can recommend that performed well, are commonly availible and are not expensive. Note, no oil on the market can take BioSyn off the podium. And in my recent dyno testing, BioSyn netted 4ft-lbs and 6whp over Amsoil SS, and Amsoil SS is a really good oil. Preferably use UOA to make your decisions. I will be doing dyno pulls at 40k, 60k, 80k and 100k, 120k, 140k, 160k, 180k and 200k. I will be tracking the loss of power over time as the engine racks up miles.

1. RLI BioSyn HDMO Low Ash 5W30
2. Amsoil SS 5W30
3. M1EP 5W30
in combination with WIX XP filter and new air filters every $10k. They are roughly $39 for this car, if you can't afford that, then new air filters every 15K, but really only do that if you can't afford it.

If you are flooring every now and then and not tracking, primarily just back and forth with some aggressive driving, I recommend going to a 0W20. I have seen enough UOA on the 2UR-GSE to safely say 0W20 in every day driving, lowered wear vs. 5W30.
The Following User Says Thank You to danielTRLK For This Useful Post:
Colt45ccg (06-17-17)
Old 06-16-17, 09:07 PM   #11
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielTRLK View Post
I believe they all came with 20K free?

Do not follow the OEM OCI recommendation. It is a poor recommendation and will only lead to premature wear.

Here are a few choices that I can recommend that performed well, are commonly availible and are not expensive. Note, no oil on the market can take BioSyn off the podium. And in my recent dyno testing, BioSyn netted 4ft-lbs and 6whp over Amsoil SS, and Amsoil SS is a really good oil. Preferably use UOA to make your decisions. I will be doing dyno pulls at 40k, 60k, 80k and 100k, 120k, 140k, 160k, 180k and 200k. I will be tracking the loss of power over time as the engine racks up miles.

1. RLI BioSyn HDMO Low Ash 5W30
2. Amsoil SS 5W30
3. M1EP 5W30
in combination with WIX XP filter and new air filters every $10k. They are roughly $39 for this car, if you can't afford that, then new air filters every 15K, but really only do that if you can't afford it.

If you are flooring every now and then and not tracking, primarily just back and forth with some aggressive driving, I recommend going to a 0W20. I have seen enough UOA on the 2UR-GSE to safely say 0W20 in every day driving, lowered wear vs. 5W30.
no the RCF and GSF only get the 5K change for free.

as for oil recommendations, I will stick with what Lexus recommends, seeing as they are warrantying the car. once the warranty is up and the cost of repairs are on me I will look into other options, I've dealt with too many *** hat dealers that fight warranty issue over stupid crap like not using recommend oil and the like.
Old 06-16-17, 09:22 PM   #12
danielTRLK
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeds View Post
no the RCF and GSF only get the 5K change for free.

as for oil recommendations, I will stick with what Lexus recommends, seeing as they are warrantying the car. once the warranty is up and the cost of repairs are on me I will look into other options, I've dealt with too many *** hat dealers that fight warranty issue over stupid crap like not using recommend oil and the like.
I can understand those concerns, and agree too many dealers don't like warranty and get weird about things. How long are you planning on keeping the car and what kind of usage? 5,000 for the dealer oil is the most it can go and that's another reason I believe Lexus made the interval 5K. You're well within warranty by bringing your own oil, they don't care what oil it is, they just want to see it every 5K. Any of the oils mentioned will improve fuel economy, power, and long term efficiency. Trust me the "oil" those dealers are using is complete garbage. I've forced myself to run it twice for results and both times I've regretted doing so. The wear those dealer oils allow is horrendous and gives me shivers.
Old 06-17-17, 06:38 AM   #13
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielTRLK View Post
I can understand those concerns, and agree too many dealers don't like warranty and get weird about things. How long are you planning on keeping the car and what kind of usage? 5,000 for the dealer oil is the most it can go and that's another reason I believe Lexus made the interval 5K. You're well within warranty by bringing your own oil, they don't care what oil it is, they just want to see it every 5K. Any of the oils mentioned will improve fuel economy, power, and long term efficiency. Trust me the "oil" those dealers are using is complete garbage. I've forced myself to run it twice for results and both times I've regretted doing so. The wear those dealer oils allow is horrendous and gives me shivers.
Lol, is this dude for real? Shivers!!!

OP, don't listen to people that live in an internet bubble and get obsessive over ridiculous stuff like motor oils and gas brands. That will only feed your dysfunction about driving a sports car like a sports car. Why would you purchase a car like an RCF and not floor it? Drive it like you stole it from day 1 and keep those RPMs up. If something breaks, you have a warranty. If something breaks, it was going to break whether you floored your car or not.
DougHII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougHII For This Useful Post:
Lexura1414 (06-17-17), ssmoked (06-17-17)
Old 06-17-17, 11:20 AM   #14
danielTRLK
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHII View Post
Lol, is this dude for real? Shivers!!!

OP, don't listen to people that live in an internet bubble and get obsessive over ridiculous stuff like motor oils and gas brands. That will only feed your dysfunction about driving a sports car like a sports car. Why would you purchase a car like an RCF and not floor it? Drive it like you stole it from day 1 and keep those RPMs up. If something breaks, you have a warranty. If something breaks, it was going to break whether you floored your car or not.
doug, you're an idiot when Lexus 3GT calls you to consult on their engine issues, then you'll have some ground. The difference between a good oil and a bad oil is not the engine blowing up, it's about power. A good oil will seal the ring cylinder interface improving power and response as well as other factors like fuel economy and wear. You can drive this thing on **** fuel and oil and it will probably run for a long long time. But when your engine starts to rack up miles, feeding it garbage is going to rob its power over time. Doug strikes me like the guys who go and eat MCD and never bother to look at their waist size. Still alive but not living a healthy life. Lol
Old 06-17-17, 12:26 PM   #15
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

Again, this is a really dumb thread, one of the dumbest I have seen on this site and now it has really sunk even lower with you two guys beating your chests. Original question was silly and most of the responses have been silly

To the OP - Do some research. The Lexus F Line was meant to be driven not coddled. However it was not meant to be abused. The F also responds well to bolt on mods, both in the engine and handling pieces. Oil and gasoline, again do some research. Much has been written on this site about those products. Personally I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10W/30 (I live in a hot climate). Toyota oil filters and as far as gasoline is concerned, I try to switch it up but I always use only Top Tier Fuel.

Lou
flowrider is online now   Reply With Quote