RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Armor All Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 05:22 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Armor All Dilema

So on Saturday I pick up my car from the dealership ( for wheel repair) and the tire where the wheel was repaired has tire dressing on it big time. Don't think much about it until Monday when I am washing my car and notice these brown-yellowish spots all over the lower skirt area behind the tire. Needless to say the excess tire dressing slinged there and inside the wheel well. My car is Silver and have tried Distilled Vinegar, Isopropyl Alcohol and nothing takes it off. I called the dealership and they will call me back today. Any thoughts on what or how I can remove these spots. Dont have pictures with me otherwise I would load them but it cannot be anything else. So pissed off. Any advice would be appreciated! Hoping I don't have to color sand it because that would be crazy because of ****ty tire dressing!!!
Old 05-24-17, 05:59 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

To use the age-old expression (which is valid in this case), it should buff right out with a basic compound. I highly doubt they will have to sand or do anything particularly extensive to remove the spots.

Nick C.
Old 05-24-17, 06:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I just ran across this thread by chance, since I don't own an RC F. Anyways, I had this exact same thing happen to me back in the mid '90's on a white car. The dealer tried everything to remove the spots, but to no avail. They ended up having to repaint the areas affected, which sucked. It never looked the same again. If I were to relive that time I would probably just try and ignore it and ask for compensation. I really hope yours really does buff out, though. Good luck!
Old 05-24-17, 06:21 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Went to a local detailer yesterday and they tried to lightly buff it out but to no avail. Buffing is not working but Thank you. The bummer is I told the dealer not to wash it and there was also a note in the car saying no wash. If they decide to repaint it, it will never match correctly. No idea what to do....

Last edited by woodranch; 05-24-17 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-24-17, 06:56 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I would wash the area thoroughly, then try a clay bar and lube to get the specks off. If it comes off I would then wax and polish the area. Clay bar is wonder tool for getting imperfections off paint.
Old 05-24-17, 07:44 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Clay bar did not work either. I believe it it soaked into the paint.
Old 05-24-17, 08:41 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Ouch....makes me wonder what else they used. Hopefully dealer makes it right.
Old 05-24-17, 08:43 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm confident your dealer will make it right. It's a Lexus, they have the best customer service in the industry IMO.

+1 on finding out what product that is so we can avoid it!

Nick C.
Old 05-24-17, 08:49 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

May need an orange pad and some good compound.
Old 05-24-17, 09:42 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

This is very common and easily fixed. While the "buff it out" aspect is correct, its more about prep. What you need is a chemical decontaminate. Look up TRIX, on autogeek.net No lies, I use this on my details and its better than clay. Yet, heres what I recommend ( over 15 years detailing )

Start with a wash
use Trix - it turns purple as it removes gunk from the paint
then use a clay bar - for these areas by a heavier grade of clay ( again go to autogeek )
then use a orange or microfiber pad with a nice heavy abrasive cut compound - I like menzenra line ( SF400 for that brand )
then if still present use a glaze - a milder abrasive with a whit pad
Then finish or seal the area with a wax or sealant

This is paint correction 101 and should help with your problem. overall, stay away from petroleum based products and use products that are water based. Adams tire shine is amazing!!

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (05-27-17)
Old 05-24-17, 10:22 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Thanks JB5674, do you know any great detailers in the Los Angeles area that you good refer me to that could handle this? Or would you use a body shop?
Old 05-24-17, 10:37 AM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the tire dressing had contaminates that bleed into your paint. An abrasive compound/polish should remove the stains. Otherwise repaint would be needed. I would like to know why the dealership is using products that potentially damage customer's vehicles. It is a liability for them...
Old 05-24-17, 10:38 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Thanks JB5674, do you know any great detailers in the Los Angeles area that you good refer me to that could handle this? Or would you use a body shop?
First Priority Detail - ask for Lewis (owner) 951-454-9248 I've used Lewis to detail my cars since 2005, he knows his $h1t and he is a car guy so he is very meticulous, he also owns a body and paint business restoring older muscle cars.

if there are special things like the TRIX that you need/want him to use, you will need to provide it.

Tell him Marc referred you.
Old 05-24-17, 10:56 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Dealership said they used Meguairs which I say is bull. They want me to come by tomorrow and show them. Thanks mjeds but that is to far from where I live. I am in the city.

Last edited by woodranch; 05-24-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-24-17, 11:16 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Dealership said they used Meguairs which I say is bull. They want me to come by tomorrow and show them. Thanks mjeds but that is to far from where I live. I am in the city.
he's in Bell, the phone is a cell.. He goes from Culver City to Huntington Beach to Riverside, he's a mobile detailer. He carries a generator, pressure washer and all the tools he needs, as long as you have a water hook up he's good to go.

Quick Reply: Armor All Dilema