Cleaning your engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 03:59 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Cleaning your engine bay?

RCF drivers, is this possible?
to use a pressure washer and spray soap on OUR engine bay? what do we need to do to make this safe? Like sealing up the secondary air intake port?

how do you guys clean up your engine?
Old 05-21-17, 06:19 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Red face engine CLEAN

What I do is get plastic bags and some tape. The alternator, Air Intake flow sensors, anything that has wires attached to a clip connected to your engine.
Wrap the plastic to exposed areas. I had about 6 bags in their once I was done. I just rip some Walmart bags and put them over say the Chip' area that has alot of electronics and just secure it with sum tape. Once done with you can power wash freely. Some carwash bays have that Air blow dry 150mph nozzle so you can dry the outside fast, well I Super recommend using it in the nuk and cranies of the engine as it removes a lot of road dirt and sand. Plus it will dry the engine bay ensuring your parts are not soaked. Most of the treads state this information. When I purchased my first LeX I was timid as well, but I know I needed it. It was bugs in areas that the wires are at and the air dryer helped move their dead body of it LOL.
Tip: just be EZ with the powerwashing, use ur common sense, get the engine wet and do a lot of stuff by hand with a rag.

Once your done youll see metal that was once black have more of a gleam or metal look. I only do that engine wash 1 time per life of that car. It last and no need to do it every year. I just use the rag and some cleaner at this point its EZ once u do the first power wash. (use bags)
SEE U AROUND!
Old 05-22-17, 05:02 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Drizell
What I do is get plastic bags and some tape. The alternator, Air Intake flow sensors, anything that has wires attached to a clip connected to your engine.
Wrap the plastic to exposed areas. I had about 6 bags in their once I was done. I just rip some Walmart bags and put them over say the Chip' area that has alot of electronics and just secure it with sum tape. Once done with you can power wash freely. Some carwash bays have that Air blow dry 150mph nozzle so you can dry the outside fast, well I Super recommend using it in the nuk and cranies of the engine as it removes a lot of road dirt and sand. Plus it will dry the engine bay ensuring your parts are not soaked. Most of the treads state this information. When I purchased my first LeX I was timid as well, but I know I needed it. It was bugs in areas that the wires are at and the air dryer helped move their dead body of it LOL.
Tip: just be EZ with the powerwashing, use ur common sense, get the engine wet and do a lot of stuff by hand with a rag.

Once your done youll see metal that was once black have more of a gleam or metal look. I only do that engine wash 1 time per life of that car. It last and no need to do it every year. I just use the rag and some cleaner at this point its EZ once u do the first power wash. (use bags)
SEE U AROUND!
thank you. Now the task of identifying all the parts you listed and more .
Old 05-22-17, 11:38 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

for a rc-f being that new, i don't understand how people can even get their engine bay that dirty to need to spray it down. i can literally eat off of my engine. i go to arts and crafts store and buy small soft brushes and i buy those little sponge that are on a stick where you paint small corners and crevices inside of houses with. i use that with a bottle of speed detailer and the engine stays looking new.
Old 05-22-17, 12:06 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Tapes and plastic wraps? Then what is supposed to be done driving in rainy, slussh days. Just wash it when engine is warm spray it down, wiat unitil all drys up.
Old 05-22-17, 12:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

As long as you're not flooding the engine, you probably won't need to cover much, if any at all. I've done countless engine cleaning and I usually mist the engine with water and then spray on my degreaser. Use a brush and agitate, and then rinse down (again, don't flood it).
Old 05-22-17, 03:24 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
for a rc-f being that new, i don't understand how people can even get their engine bay that dirty to need to spray it down. i can literally eat off of my engine. i go to arts and crafts store and buy small soft brushes and i buy those little sponge that are on a stick where you paint small corners and crevices inside of houses with. i use that with a bottle of speed detailer and the engine stays looking new.
Got dang! and I thought I was bad. I just take my air nozzle and blow compressed air in the engine bay after every drive Oh, and the wheels too!
Old 05-22-17, 03:34 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Got dang! and I thought I was bad. I just take my air nozzle and blow compressed air in the engine bay after every drive Oh, and the wheels too!
i would do that if i had an air compressor and a bigger garage
Old 05-23-17, 03:56 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I have personally never power washed or steam cleaned an engine bay, however, I have used products like Gunk's engine degreaser. As long as you take precautions with any electrical components, you'll be fine.

Not sure how your engine bay could get so dirty that it merits steam cleaning already lol.

Nick C.
Old 05-23-17, 09:43 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

A few weekends ago I was chasing some 350Z s and a GTR through the hills and country curves. A great run.
but one or all of them had some dirty exhaust. I have a film in the engine bay thjat is easy to see came from under the hood /from in front if the car the shadowed all the forward facing surfaces amd corners of my bay
Old 05-23-17, 09:49 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

AND here is a **** ton of construction around my hood
So the oily residue from the run has snagged a ton of debris

Old 05-23-17, 10:22 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

ah ok i see. like what JT2MA71 does, try to blow off all that dirt/dust off first. if you simply wipe it even with cleaner, the plastic can scratch. the plastic on the air box especially is very sensitive and gets fine swirls and scratches if you have any debris/dirt on it and you try to wipe it off. same for the strut bar. I also wouldn't use any of that heavy degreaser or gunk remover. they really dull out plastic and fade them from what I've tried when i was younger. i would just use a good new wheel brush and soapy water.
Old 05-23-17, 07:31 PM
pheen619
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I use both air compressor and detailer to keep my bay clean. I have issues apparently from what my wife says. She caught me once with the dyson trying to vacuum the intake manifold because it collected a bit of dirt and dust lol. I also have this thing about once clips come off, I replace them with new one and refuse to reuse the old ones, OCD!!!

From first hand experience as a detailer. As long as you are on top of it, you will never really have to steam or pressure clean your engine bay. When I was working at the dealerships, I would only clean the engine prior during recon if it needed it. Other than that, we used air and dressing to shine it up.

If you are going to do it, take the time to cover up the electronics...
Old 05-23-17, 11:20 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I just use 1-2 cans of Gunk Foamy Engine Brite, wash, dry, then spray liberally with Gunk Engine Shine. Smells like fresh paint for a few days, stays clean forever.