RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone else drive sport+ 100% time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 09:22 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I drive using all modes, depending on the circumstances. for city and stop and go driving I leave it in normal or eco, for highway I use it in Sport, but I will go into Sport+ to pass or when I am entering a highway and need to merge, I will also use Sport+ on twisty roads.

I like using ECO mode in stop and go because it shoves the car into the highest gear it can as quickly as it can so you burn less fuel, and it's not as if I am going to jack rabbit between lights anyway so the slow acceleration works well to keep the MPGs up.
Old 04-06-17, 12:48 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I tried with sport, but still a long lag downshifting (my main complaint) from 8th to 2nd. And most cases doesn't downshift to lowest possible gear
I noticed that too. I was using Sport S+ mode exclusively in manual and expert modes when I first got the car. Then I started using Sport S mode for highway cruising a lot and got to where I would just leave it there. Then more recently I started using Sport S+ mode a little bit here and there and I noticed the reduced delay in downshifting from 7th to 2nd when going wot.

So now I always switch back to Sport S+ mode if I anticipate needing quick downshifts. Trying to downshift from 8th to 2nd gear in manual mode is a joke...
The following users liked this post:
MrOrph (11-03-19)
Old 04-07-17, 04:50 AM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

90% of the time I'm in Sport + mode, especially with the sound of the A'pexi exhaust system. It just sounds beautiful and the car feels faster. The other 10% of the time I'm in Normal mode to warm up to engine, transmission, and tires. I'm in NYand it's still cold out here.
Old 04-07-17, 09:46 AM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Insane
90% of the time I'm in Sport + mode, especially with the sound of the A'pexi exhaust system. It just sounds beautiful and the car feels faster. The other 10% of the time I'm in Normal mode to warm up to engine, transmission, and tires. I'm in NYand it's still cold out here.
Sounds just like my technique haha. Stay in normal and drive conservatively until everything is warmed up, then switch to sport+ and enjoy the exhaust!
Old 04-13-17, 07:52 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, if I was going to drive around in normal or eco mode, I probably belong in an LS, right? No sense in having this car in my book if you don't exploit and enjoy. I would say the only time I'm out of sport+ is on the highway to access overdrive gear. In cold weather I'll drive in manual mode so I can manage cold engine rpms. But I actually think the car is better than me at shift points for all out sprint situations.
Old 04-14-17, 08:38 AM
no6thgear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the RCF sport mode hold the gears too long (IMO) like the ISF? I find the ISF if I drive spirited around a corner, then after the corner it keeps the rpms up for a few seconds longer than I'd like. Kind of annoying to me.
Old 04-14-17, 12:41 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by no6thgear
Does the RCF sport mode hold the gears too long (IMO) like the ISF? I find the ISF if I drive spirited around a corner, then after the corner it keeps the rpms up for a few seconds longer than I'd like. Kind of annoying to me.
I don't know about the IS F. But I'm used to a manual tranny and this car holds gears too long for my liking most times. I like to go WOT until I get up to speed, then cruise. But in auto it will ride in that last gear at like 7k rpm for several seconds before it finally realizes that I want to cruise. So I am often jumping back and forth from manual and auto for various reasons. I'm used to using the stick anyway, so it's not a big deal for me to pop it in and out of auto/manual.
Old 04-14-17, 06:06 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SPORT+ manual mode roaring Borla exhaust, always rev match downshifts! always always always! I can't bring myself to drive it any other way.
Old 04-14-17, 07:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
I don't know about the IS F. But I'm used to a manual tranny and this car holds gears too long for my liking most times. I like to go WOT until I get up to speed, then cruise. But in auto it will ride in that last gear at like 7k rpm for several seconds before it finally realizes that I want to cruise. So I am often jumping back and forth from manual and auto for various reasons. I'm used to using the stick anyway, so it's not a big deal for me to pop it in and out of auto/manual.
+1 for the GS F as well. The IS F isn't nearly as bad, but it is still not where I would like it in sport mode. Both the IS F and the GS F hold gears much longer than I would expect in Sport and Sport +. I imagine the RC F is programmed very similarly to the GS F since they have the same drivetrain and are within a few pounds of each other for curb weight.
Old 04-15-17, 04:22 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
I drive using all modes, depending on the circumstances. for city and stop and go driving I leave it in normal or eco, for highway I use it in Sport, but I will go into Sport+ to pass or when I am entering a highway and need to merge, I will also use Sport+ on twisty roads.
Interestingly, I keep it in Sport+ for stop and go to utilize the engine braking and to maneuver a little quicker. Normal/Sport for freeway cruising and ECO when I'm low on gas and it's close making to to a gas station!
Old 04-15-17, 02:01 PM
SinisteRCF
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Interestingly, I keep it in Sport+ for stop and go to utilize the engine braking and to maneuver a little quicker. Normal/Sport for freeway cruising and ECO when I'm low on gas and it's close making to to a gas station!
Looks like you and me have the same driving patterns. I find that the engine is a little more aggressive when my a/c is on which I know has to do with the compensating for the extra work load but man do I love it. I usually keep it in Sport + mode for the local driving, Sport for the highway/freeway and Eco when my gas is low. I seldom keep it on normal.
Old 04-16-17, 08:39 AM
troyhuynhv
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a lead foot so when I am in sport coming from a stop my girlfriends neck always jerks back lol
Old 04-18-17, 06:04 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sport+ almost always.
Didn't realize it had an eco mode! Won't be using that!
Borla and sport+ are a match made in aural heaven.
Old 04-19-17, 10:08 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Haha me too. LOL

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Old 04-19-17, 10:25 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't Forget, Sport+ and Trac Off for Expert Mode on dry roads. It will unleash the beast more. Be careful on turns. TVD Track Mode if applicable for better turns.

Quick Reply: Anyone else drive sport+ 100% time?