RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone had to use the puncture repair kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 01:48 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone had to use the puncture repair kit?

I got a flat front tyre yesterday.
It happened at my work so I left it there last night and came back early this morning to remove it and put one of my stock front wheel back on.
There was a screw in it.
There is a tyre shop only 100m away around the corner from me so I drove it there to get repaired.
The tyres are Pirelli P Zeros and the rubber is so soft.
I found some rock chips deeply embedded in the tread and had to dig them out.

However, what if this happened in an inconvenient situation.
I had a look at the puncture repair kit and would have no idea on how to use it, I assume it would be a last resort emergency only situation to use it.
Has anyone had to use it before?
Old 03-21-17, 02:57 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I wouldn't use it anyway unless I had no other options. That crud coats the inside of the tire and the rim. A tire shop will most likely charge extra for having to clean that stuff off of the rim, and especially the inside of the tire if you want to patch it and keep it. In fact, I have heard that the fix-a-flat type stuff can mess up the TPMS sensors too. Meaning that they may require replacement if that stuff is used.

I would call roadside assistance before I would use that patch kit. But if I were in the sticks with no cell reception and the SOS button didn't even work... then I guess I'd have no choice if I didn't have a spare tire with me. Also, if I were too pressed for time to wait I might use it them too. But it would have to be really important.
Old 03-21-17, 06:02 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2. Many years ago I used a Green Slime thing I got from Walmart on a flat. While it worked fine and I was able to drive the car for a few days to finally get to a tire shop whom I had bought many tires from (America Tire). They patched the holes without charge. But it sure was hell of a process bc after they dismounted the tire they had to wipe off all that green slim and really clean both insides of the tire and the rim. Lucky I did not have TMPS on that old car at the time otherwise I'm sure the TMPS is a goner which will be expensive to replace.

I guess I still will use it if I'm stranded and as a last resort.

Originally Posted by Davew77
I wouldn't use it anyway unless I had no other options. That crud coats the inside of the tire and the rim. A tire shop will most likely charge extra for having to clean that stuff off of the rim, and especially the inside of the tire if you want to patch it and keep it. In fact, I have heard that the fix-a-flat type stuff can mess up the TPMS sensors too. Meaning that they may require replacement if that stuff is used.

I would call roadside assistance before I would use that patch kit. But if I were in the sticks with no cell reception and the SOS button didn't even work... then I guess I'd have no choice if I didn't have a spare tire with me. Also, if I were too pressed for time to wait I might use it them too. But it would have to be really important.
Old 03-21-17, 06:05 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^Agree 100%.
Old 04-23-17, 10:29 AM
kingkongF
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to use the repair kit last week. I thought forsure i'd have to replace the TMPS. Replaced the tires a few days later and surprisingly my tire guy said nope the TMPS is good. It's been about a week and all is good. I just cant quite figure out how to remove the empty bottle from the air compressor. It snaps in but doesn't snap off. Anyone have any ideas?