RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 02:59 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Techstream is the same for all Lexus, Toyota, and Scion vehicles. I have the full legal version and subscription the same as any dealership tech. I don't know why a Toyota tech would shy away from it, all the necessary tools are there. But, whatever, yes, I would also pursue this as a warranty issue. It might just be a bad connection to U33.
Not the Techstream TPMS thing. The software in the car (ECU I guess). He is certain the TPMS programming is correct as it would either work or not work. But wouldn't work sometimes and not others.

Edit: At the time I was kind of thinking they were full of it. But I'm not going to argue with them about doing a diagnostic that they are going to charge me for as they don't do Lexus warranty work being a Toyota dealership. Also, if they aren't comfortable doing something to my car then I am not comfortable making them to do it.

I'll just take it to Lexus as I firmly believe this is a warranty issue. So far it's my only one. The TPMS problem is getting worse too. It started out happening about once out of every 4-5 engine starts. Now the tire pressure fails to show on the dash about 4 out of every 5 engine starts. (all 4 pressures, not 1 or 2. It's always all or none)

I could live without the readout, but my bigger concern is what is going to happen if the receiver fails completely? Will I even be able to start the car? I have had a message about the smart key not being in the car when I've tried to start it once or twice (but not recently).

Last edited by Davew77; 03-23-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 03:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Not the Techstream TPMS thing. The software in the car (ECU I guess). He is certain the TPMS programming is correct as it would either work or not work. But wouldn't work sometimes and not others.
Not TPMS. Techstream talks to all the ECUs, has data lists, active testing parameters for a whole host of things including key detection, pretty much anything you want to see/do/test is available through Techstream. All you need is an OBDII cable (preferably the supported one, but it's not cheap) and a Professional Diagnostics subscription to TIS and there is nothing a dealer can do that you can't. Including all the training modules on all Toyota brands...
Old 03-23-17, 03:29 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not TPMS. Techstream talks to all the ECUs, has data lists, active testing parameters for a whole host of things including key detection, pretty much anything you want to see/do/test is available through Techstream. All you need is an OBDII cable (preferably the supported one, but it's not cheap) and a Professional Diagnostics subscription to TIS and there is nothing a dealer can do that you can't. Including all the training modules on all Toyota brands...
Okay, I thought it was for TPMS. In any case, see my edited post above.
Old 04-02-17, 05:46 PM
pheen619
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Dave, did this ever get resolved? What did they have to do. I ask because I put the TPMS's back in my car, the light is off, but no pressure reading. Trying to avoid taking in my car to the dealership because they are a bunch of a$$hats and my car is bagged. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-17, 06:20 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by pheen619
Dave, did this ever get resolved? What did they have to do. I ask because I put the TPMS's back in my car, the light is off, but no pressure reading. Trying to avoid taking in my car to the dealership because they are a bunch of a$$hats and my car is bagged. Any help would be appreciated.
ECU of most cars has memory space for two sets of TPMS information. Some Lexus vehicles has only memory space for one set. In this case you have to make the ECU relearn the 4 or 5(including spare tire) TPMS ids. If you want to do it your self, . You need a TPMS scan tool(if you don't know the ids.) And another tool to let the ECU learn those ids through OBD II interface. Toyota Tech stream is able to do this task.
The following users liked this post:
pheen619 (04-02-17)
Old 04-05-17, 12:49 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pheen619
Sorry, I haven't been to the Lexus dealer yet. I simply haven't had the time. But hopefully I'll be able to get in there sometime in the next few weeks.
Old 04-05-17, 01:53 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Any tire shop has tools to relearn the TPMS. If it is your regular tire shop, often they do it free or they will charge you 20 - 30 dollars for the service.
Old 04-05-17, 02:18 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
Any tire shop has tools to relearn the TPMS. If it is your regular tire shop, often they do it free or they will charge you 20 - 30 dollars for the service.
I need to have the receiver diagnosed for potential warranty work. It can only be done at a Lexus dealer.