RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Question on the sound level of stock exaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 03:54 AM
stevdroid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Question on the sound level of stock exaust

Hi all, I am about to buy a c63 coupe or an RCF within this year, leaning towards rcf more because of my previous experience with lexus.
So how loud is the stock exhaust of the rcf, comparing with its competitors like m4 and c63? Have to stick with stock exhaust due to laws and regulations of the country where I currently live in.

Thanks
Old 03-15-17, 06:14 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by stevdroid
Hi all, I am about to buy a c63 coupe or an RCF within this year, leaning towards rcf more because of my previous experience with lexus.
So how loud is the stock exhaust of the rcf, comparing with its competitors like m4 and c63? Have to stick with stock exhaust due to laws and regulations of the country where I currently live in.

Thanks
If you're keeping it stock, RCF>C63.
C63 sounds whiny compared it.
Old 03-15-17, 08:39 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterEun
If you're keeping it stock, RCF>C63.
C63 sounds whiny compared it.
are you serious? C63 exhaust sound mean and grown compared the the rcf stock exhaust. The number one complaint of rcf owners is the stock exhaust.

the m4 stock exhaust sounds like a lawn mower choking on rocks. The rcf is better in that comparision
The following users liked this post:
stevdroid (03-15-17)
Old 03-15-17, 08:46 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Old 03-15-17, 09:39 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ssmoked
are you serious? C63 exhaust sound mean and grown compared the the rcf stock exhaust. The number one complaint of rcf owners is the stock exhaust.

the m4 stock exhaust sounds like a lawn mower choking on rocks. The rcf is better in that comparision
I'm very serious.
I don't presume to know what the "number one complaint" for ALL RCF owners are but I'm glad to hear that you think it's only the exhaust system since it won't be as hard/expensive to replace.

Not sure how much of a difference this will make, but before moving forward I would like to specify that I'm only comparing 2017 models for both RC-F and C63.
The video clip you attached is from the older 63 which used to have a beautiful 6.2L N/A V8 not the 4.0L BT V8.
Using videos with two different surroundings (Garage w/ echo vs outside) is also not an apples to apples comparison.
I test drove both extensively w/ different packages and heard them from outside as well as inside before deciding on the RC-F less than a month ago.
None of this is based on other people's reviews or youtube clips, only my firsthand experience with actual vehicles that I drove.
This marks the end of my disclosures.

1. In my opinion, the 63 sounds more high pitch than the RC-F on startup.
2. I feel in general the 63 sounds more synthetic to my ears but that's just my preferences talking.
3. For general driving at high RPM's I was limited to only interior sounds but I will say that the 63 was more aggressive.
4. A lot of it will depend on how one drives and the conditions of the environment but lately it seems that majority of the cases when people focus on sound, they only look at stationary vehicles rather than driving. In which case startup will weigh more heavily in my "grading".
5. I think my conclusion was that as you go higher in terms of RPM the 63 will win more points, but once again this is only the sounds from inside the car. No basis to comment on how it sounds outside.
stevdroid (03-15-17)
Old 03-15-17, 09:46 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

my #1 complaint on the RCF is hardly the exhaust.

my number 1 complaint has always been the poor ergonomic layout of the center stack, requiring you to lean forward to reach any of the controls, radio, hvac, or the various buttons to the left of the steering wheel for the ODO, dash light diming, rear wing, etc.

yes I know a lot can be controlled via voice or via the touchpad. . But when I want to raise or lower the temp or the fan control I do not think I should have to search through 4-5 levels of on screen menus or pause my music and wait for the car to ask for the command then tell me it didn't understand the command. It should be a simple matter of pushing a button that I do not have to reach for or look at to find..

My single #1 complaint about the vehicle is how it contributes to distracted driving because of it's poor ergonomic design.
stevdroid (03-15-17)
Old 03-15-17, 09:58 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MisterEun
I'm very serious.
I don't presume to know what the "number one complaint" for ALL RCF owners are but I'm glad to hear that you think it's only the exhaust system since it won't be as hard/expensive to replace.

Not sure how much of a difference this will make, but before moving forward I would like to specify that I'm only comparing 2017 models for both RC-F and C63.
The video clip you attached is from the older 63 which used to have a beautiful 6.2L N/A V8 not the 4.0L BT V8.
Using videos with two different surroundings (Garage w/ echo vs outside) is also not an apples to apples comparison.
I test drove both extensively w/ different packages and heard them from outside as well as inside before deciding on the RC-F less than a month ago.
None of this is based on other people's reviews or youtube clips, only my firsthand experience with actual vehicles that I drove.
This marks the end of my disclosures.

1. In my opinion, the 63 sounds more high pitch than the RC-F on startup.
2. I feel in general the 63 sounds more synthetic to my ears but that's just my preferences talking.
3. For general driving at high RPM's I was limited to only interior sounds but I will say that the 63 was more aggressive.
4. A lot of it will depend on how one drives and the conditions of the environment but lately it seems that majority of the cases when people focus on sound, they only look at stationary vehicles rather than driving. In which case startup will weigh more heavily in my "grading".
5. I think my conclusion was that as you go higher in terms of RPM the 63 will win more points, but once again this is only the sounds from inside the car. No basis to comment on how it sounds outside.
i posted the first c63 stock exhaust I saw on YouTube. My bad. Btw he also recorded driving outside, if you finished the video.
here is the 4.0 BT you requested, which still sounds manly and grown compared to the rcf by a mile. Also it's adjustable.

looking through the past few post by you, you sure spent a heck lot of time on purchasing and deciding the aftermarket exhaust for your rcf. That sure doesn't support you liking the rcf exhaust much since you just purchased the car recently, and most can prob conclude that's your number 1 compliant also..
stevdroid (06-21-17)
Old 03-15-17, 10:19 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

i posted the first c63 stock exhaust I saw on YouTube. My bad. Btw he also recorded driving outside, if you finished the video.
here is the 4.0 BT you requested, which still sounds manly and grown compared to the rcf by a mile. Also it's adjustable.

looking through the past few post by you, you sure spent a heck lot of time on purchasing and deciding the aftermarket exhaust for your rcf. That sure doesn't support you liking the rcf exhaust much since you just purchased the car recently, and most can prob conclude that's your number 1 compliant also..
First off, just want to say, I'm not trying to argue/start a fight.
Cool, now moving on.

Once again, bad video.
That's a C63S which is at the very least more than $10k difference from the C63 which is also more expensive than the RCF (more so if we factor in the TONS of options Benz requires to even match the RCF).
Side note: If you try to look for 2017 C63 Sound videos, you'll notice a surprisingly limited number of options. There might be something to that.

Next, I spent a "heck of a lot of time" before purchasing the car, abso-freaking-lutely yes.
It's a $75k car that I'm buying brand new not even used or CPO, I think I should do my best to learn as much about it and its competitors before making a decision that costly so I don't regret anything.
In fact I was going to wait until Mid-April since dealerships would be notified by Mfg about what the updates for the '18 model will be + I'm traveling/vacationing internationally for about 3 weeks starting next week.
No one here was privy to any special info/updates so I resigned myself to wait until dealerships offered exclusive $2k dealer cash on the RCF starting in March.
Through patient and careful negotiating I ended up getting a current model year for almost 13% off in March, so I'd say I did a damn good job on taking a "heck of a lot of time".

Lastly, I think you're confused on something.
I didn't purchase an aftermarket exhaust and still haven't decided on what brand I'd go with, IF I got one.
I absolutely love my car and it's current (stock) exhaust and the exhaust system is not even on my complaint list.
If anything it's a potential upgrade I'm considering down the road, but not a priority compared to a plethora of other stuff I have planned i.e. Protection (PPF, Paint Coat, Dashcam), Exterior Customization (calipers, wheels, wraps, kits/extensions), Performance(Battery, Rotors, Air intake).

To conclude just want to add the reminder from above.
Not trying to pick a fight with an OG CL member, just giving my $0.02.
stevdroid (06-21-17)
Old 03-15-17, 11:26 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

^ buddy, relax. We are all owners here, so I know how much the car cost. Your discount (they probably made it up on the back end by selling you a $5000 maintnance plan that you just cancelled after posting on this site) is not out of the norm for new cars btw, I negotiated 20%.

the OP cared about the exhaust sound of the rcf and competitors, budget was never an issue. I see you have a tendency to start arguments from other posts also, no need to get twisted just because others have a different opinion
stevdroid (06-21-17)
Old 03-15-17, 12:21 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

^ buddy, relax. We are all owners here, so I know how much the car cost. Your discount (they probably made it up on the back end by selling you a $5000 maintnance plan that you just cancelled after posting on this site) is not out of the norm for new cars btw, I negotiated 20%.

the OP cared about the exhaust sound of the rcf and competitors, budget was never an issue. I see you have a tendency to start arguments from other posts also, no need to get twisted just because others have a different opinion
Discount was calculated pre-backend deals.
Since I cancelled everything, guess they didn't make it up on anything.
If it's not out of the norm, I'd be disappointed a bit but would love to hear from others who got better deals and ask how they achieved it for future reference.

Just to get my facts right, correct me if I'm wrong:
You negotiated 20% for a:
-2015 model
-Which was overstocked at the time since it was their first year in production and they miscalculated its popularity (or lack thereof)
-Purchased during the beginning of the next model year period (Feb 2016)
-When they were giving out $2-4k+ dealer cash and knocked off almost $10k for anyone walked in. (Context: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...hreads-30.html)

If those are all correct assumptions:
You effectively negotiated an additional 1-3% on your own? (for reference I negotiated an additional 6-7% and that's at a higher MSRP)
I'm pretty sure IMCHIA bought around the same time as you and got about 23% so in terms of context, not looking all that great for your argument buddy.

Next:
OP cared about sound, yes and I addressed those concerns.
Where did it say budget was not an issue?
Regardless, showing him videos of a car he didn't ask for without clearly identifying it (BTW, it really isn't in the same bracket anymore as the RCF since 63S will most likely be 6 digits OTD as dealers carrying inventory have it priced at $90-$95k) isn't really helpful since it's misinformation.

As for the "tendency to start arguments": I've had one argument, and I didn't start it.
Little rash to call it a tendency.
Someone replied to a post of mine 5 days later calling me an "A**H***" and I gave my rebuttal.
End of story.

I'm not twisted and have no problems with other people have different opinions.
This "argument" (calling it that since you feel that's what this is) started when you asked me "are you serious?" and confronted my opinion right out the door.
So I responded clearly, without making up facts, and differentiated any/all assumptions from facts.
Just like I was taught in elementary school, if I have an opinion, I should use the utmost of my knowledge, experience, and available facts to support my standing rather than just spit out what I want to say.
You know what they say about opinions.

Just like the other "argument" I'll conclude with this:
I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further so if you want to continue this PM me and/or ask for my phone number and we'll talk.
The following 2 users liked this post by MisterEun:
KrakenRC (09-03-20), stevdroid (06-21-17)
Old 03-15-17, 12:30 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not exactly the same subject but I always wondered why the RC-F's engine sounds were augmented through the cars sound system.
Old 03-15-17, 12:32 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

you win.....
Old 03-15-17, 12:35 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Not exactly the same subject but I always wondered why the RC-F's engine sounds were augmented through the cars sound system.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ior-cabin.html
Old 03-15-17, 01:55 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevdroid

Thanks
Hey bud, the stock exhaust on the F is very quiet compared to the C63. You get augmented sound in the F when you're in Sport +, but it is just that...Augmented. The engine sounds great above 3,600rpm regardless of any mode, but the exhaust is lacking in the sound, wish it was more like the LC500.
stevdroid (03-15-17)
Old 03-15-17, 06:29 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've only ever seen one other RC-F on the road and I've never heard mine from the outside. Other question would be, how loud is the engine both in low rpms and passing by higher rpms?

Quick Reply: Question on the sound level of stock exaust