RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Pre-Paid Maintenance aka Lexus Luxury care

Old 03-12-17, 07:15 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Pre-Paid Maintenance aka Lexus Luxury care

So I negotiated the hell out of my car, but I think at the last moment I got one put over me pretty bad.
Paid $5,500 for a 5-year 50k maintenance package.
Anyhow, I was doing the math on it just now and it looked really off so I'd appreciate some help.
If y'all wouldn't mind giving me figures that you paid (PM's are fine too) that'd be much appreciated.
I have plenty of time to cancel, but there's always the option of renegotiating (thanks mjeds).

Thanks in advance folks.
Old 03-12-17, 07:22 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I guess it depends on what the maintenance covers and how much you think that you would have paid out of pocket for maintenance in 50k miles. I'll hit 50k miles in less than 2 years of buying a car. I don't anticipate my brakes needing changed within 50k miles as they have half of their life left right now at 32k miles. My oil changes will be less than $500. For me, the maintenance package would be a big loss.

Now, if it will take you 5 years to get to 50k miles and you need your brakes done twice in that time, then it might be worth it. I'm assuming brakes are covered for that price...
Old 03-12-17, 07:34 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Lexus Care doesn't cover wear items like brakes or wipers.

it covers the intake and cabin filters, and all fluids. oil, transmission, coolant, brake.

if you look at the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, it shows what is done at each 5,000k, that is what Lexus Care covers. as I recall only filters and oil changes up to 50K, so $5500 for 50K = $550 per oil change.
Old 03-12-17, 07:39 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Davew77
Well, I guess it depends on what the maintenance covers and how much you think that you would have paid out of pocket for maintenance in 50k miles. I'll hit 50k miles in less than 2 years of buying a car. I don't anticipate my brakes needing changed within 50k miles as they have half of their life left right now at 32k miles. My oil changes will be less than $500. For me, the maintenance package would be a big loss.

Now, if it will take you 5 years to get to 50k miles and you need your brakes done twice in that time, then it might be worth it. I'm assuming brakes are covered for that price...
Wow you drive a lot.

Back to the point though, just looking at the numbers and estimating avg dealership service cost to be $200 and the major one at 30k to be $500 it'd still only be 8x$200 + $500 = $2,100 (excludes 1k and 5k service)
Old 03-12-17, 07:47 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
Lexus Care doesn't cover wear items like brakes or wipers.

it covers the intake and cabin filters, and all fluids. oil, transmission, coolant, brake.

if you look at the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, it shows what is done at each 5,000k, that is what Lexus Care covers. as I recall only filters and oil changes up to 50K, so $5500 for 50K = $550 per oil change.
I didn't think brakes were covered, but I couldn't understand that price if they weren't. Lexus Luxury Care package is usually under $2k. Even then, I would put that money towards an extended warranty before I'd pay for a maintenance package. But if I could get free brakes and tires out of it... I'd be hitting the track a lot.
Old 03-12-17, 07:52 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

For now I'm not really interested in even trying to renegotiate.
I'll probably just cancel it and deal with maintenance when I have to.
If anyone advises otherwise, please let me know!
Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-17, 08:07 PM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterEun
For now I'm not really interested in even trying to renegotiate.
I'll probably just cancel it and deal with maintenance when I have to.
If anyone advises otherwise, please let me know!
Thanks guys.
Yea just cancel it.
its never worth getting pre paid maintenance
Old 03-13-17, 06:25 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

question?

did they wrap the Luxury Care Maintenance and the Lexus Extra Care (extended warranty) into one price?

sounds like that may be what they did, so part of the $5,500 is Maintenance and part is warranty.. I would get some clarification before making a decision.
Old 03-13-17, 08:36 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by paulwall4
Yea just cancel it.
its never worth getting pre paid maintenance
well that's a global statement that doesn't apply to everyone.. I found the price I negotiated for it was a good deal, takes care of my vehicle through 90K miles and when you do the math it is about a 20% savings over paying at the time of service.

everyone's circumstances and perceptions are different, but to say it's never worth it is a logical fallacy.
Old 03-13-17, 09:01 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The good news is that refunds are typically based on how much maintenance you've used. I'd get the whole $5,500 back and deal with maintenance as you go. It is a highly profitable back-end product for a reason, and is only worth it if you truly calculate how much the value adds up to be.

The thing to consider now of course is how many of those maintenance items will have a special offered for them? Unless it included tires, I don't foresee spending $5k+ in total for maintenance in this car for a good amount of time.
Old 03-13-17, 07:04 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

For that price I think they are adding free petrol LOL.
Old 03-14-17, 12:53 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

$5.5k for the Pre-Paid Maintenance is a rip off. I got mine around $1k-$1.5k for the first 5 years or 50k miles...
Old 07-06-21, 03:36 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

OP, do you ever plan on doing general maintenance yourself? If so most of it is easy to do: oil changes, coolant changes, brake pads/rotors, brake fluid, spark plugs etc, and you'll save a ton of money over taking it to the dealer.

If you decide you want to change the ATF then that is a little more complicated and some will tell you that you don't need to change it. I'm not going to argue either way but if you decide to do it there are threads here on the process.

I'm of the opinion that you don't need to replace the spark plugs unless something indicates that you need to: error code, noticeable misfires, sudden change in performance or gas mileage but either way, they are fairly easy to change and easy to get to. You just unscrew the old ones and put in new ones.

Old 10-04-21, 01:53 PM
x360box
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
well that's a global statement that doesn't apply to everyone.. I found the price I negotiated for it was a good deal, takes care of my vehicle through 90K miles and when you do the math it is about a 20% savings over paying at the time of service.

everyone's circumstances and perceptions are different, but to say it's never worth it is a logical fallacy.
Would those maintenance plans work like subscription model, if so it might be worth it especially if you need to sell the car.
Old 10-04-21, 04:48 PM
DenSmith
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Unless you really love the free peanut butter crackers and soda/coffee at the dealership, the real price of doing m outside the Lexus dealer bubble would blow the value of that plan out of the water, there wouldn't be a middle ground in negotiations compared to the real cost of m.

One of my recent scheduled m was.....check the tires and balance them, fluids, brakes, just check them. It is CPO so free for me, but the whole cost was going to be $300, no filters or fluids were changed, that's what the dealer said it would cost, but for the CPO. Um, what? Certainly a dealer can "show" you it is worth it using the, it would cost you this much to pay for each service, but that's their price, even then it comes close.