RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Resonator delete on Borla exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 02:31 PM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
I have the Joe Z exhaust, but after hearing Borla I wish I waited. I love the way it crackles like AMG cars. Borla got a bad rap in the 350Z/G35 community, but seems to have a quality product for the RCF.
That's great to hear, I haven't had a chance to hear ANY RCF with exhaust in person yet, but from videos the Meister sounded the most aggressive, borla right behind it. I was going to do a res delete to make the borla sound more like the meistershaft, but I've been hearing a lot of great reviews about borla on it's own.

Would be best to hear from those who have experienced both in person.
Old 03-07-17, 06:29 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The Borla as installed sounds awesome. It can be quiet at idle and barks at full throttle! Wait to hear it before you change anything.
I love the sound, my neighbors may not concur!
it really seemed to perk up the acceleration as well!
Old 03-07-17, 06:30 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by Katrcf
The Borla as installed sounds awesome. It can be quiet at idle and barks at full throttle! Wait to hear it before you change anything.
I love the sound, my neighbors may not concur!
it really seemed to perk up the acceleration as well!
haha my last car was pretty loud and I have a tenant that has a loud challenger! Also the neighbor behind me has a ford raptor with exhaust, so I got lucky!
Old 03-07-17, 06:47 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

I know what you mean. The RCF sounds almost as healthy as my hellcat with Borla. Cold start definitely has a bark. Seems to quiet upon warmup. I wouldn't want to try to sneak in (or out) during quiet time with this beast though!
the sound at WOT 2-3 shift and the downshifts make it all worth it!
Old 03-07-17, 08:30 PM
rfugio68
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Do it why not, if you don't like it weld em back in. Take it one step further and have borla give you the atak mufflers instead of the s types, then it would get loud 😀
Old 03-07-17, 08:37 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, sorry bro we never got to meet up! My RCF has been at the dealer for 2 weeks. I really wanted to showcase the Borla on mine but i'm confident you'll love it!
Old 03-08-17, 10:59 AM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF100
I'm really liking how all of these replies are in reference to what I asked....lol
That's what you call Thread Jacking...... SMH...
Old 03-08-17, 11:02 AM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
I have the Joe Z exhaust, but after hearing Borla I wish I waited. I love the way it crackles like AMG cars. Borla got a bad rap in the 350Z/G35 community, but seems to have a quality product for the RCF.
Agree....
I love the sound of Borla but didn't like the looks of the tips. That was the only reason I didn't go with Borla. But removing the resonators on the Borla would probably sound BADASS... I would love to hear it with resonators removed.
Old 03-08-17, 11:11 AM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by yooniverse
Agree....
I love the sound of Borla but didn't like the looks of the tips. That was the only reason I didn't go with Borla. But removing the resonators on the Borla would probably sound BADASS... I would love to hear it with resonators removed.
Has Anyone tried cutting the tips and putting oval ones?
Old 03-08-17, 05:30 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by Katrcf
I know what you mean. The RCF sounds almost as healthy as my hellcat with Borla. Cold start definitely has a bark. Seems to quiet upon warmup. I wouldn't want to try to sneak in (or out) during quiet time with this beast though!
the sound at WOT 2-3 shift and the downshifts make it all worth it!
Wow really? Almost as loud as a Hellcat with borla catback? My tenant has a 392 with borla and it sounds crazy, I assume the hellcat would be even louder. Is it possible to drive/accelerate quietly?

Originally Posted by rfugio68
Do it why not, if you don't like it weld em back in. Take it one step further and have borla give you the atak mufflers instead of the s types, then it would get loud 😀
I don't believe they would offer the Ataks loll. Also, I've never really liked the sound of their atak exhaust!

Originally Posted by Sparker
OP, sorry bro we never got to meet up! My RCF has been at the dealer for 2 weeks. I really wanted to showcase the Borla on mine but i'm confident you'll love it!
I know I totally forgot about it, 7 hour drive back was brutal! No problem at all though, being that you have it as well, do you feel the resonator delete would be wise/needed? Or is it already extremely aggressive sounding. I just really really don't want it sounding like your average camaro or mustang.

Originally Posted by yooniverse
Agree....
Yeah I think it would sound crazy, just not sure if it would make it obnoxious or impossible to be quiet. Don't want to attract too much attention from police lol
Old 03-08-17, 08:50 PM
Sparker
Rookie

I don't think that the resonator delete is needed, as it's significantly louder/improved over the stock sound. The Borla is pretty loud out of the box without being extremely obnoxious. I can send you some video clips if you'd like since we didn't get to meet up, i have a few up on IG SoneshSoFresh. If you still desire more, you might as well consider headers since you'll at least get some added power gain. But IMO, I would see how you like the Borla as is, and then modify it after the fact, since both the exhaust and resonator delete are fairly inexpensive anyway. Id rather make that mistake than throwing a couple G's into headers and regretting that.

The reason why i love the Borla(outside of bargain) is that there's no drone and the cabin is already so well insulated that it's just the right amount of noise inside the vehicle for everyday living/driving. However, drop the windows on a nice day or run through a tunnel and you'll realize just how loud and amazing sounding it actually is for all the lucky ppl outside =p.

I too was worried about the exhaust sounding too similar to american-muscle, but one day i got into a small rev-battle with an 8cyl mustang (also had exhaust) and i can say that they are without a doubt two distinct tones. The mustang has a very low tone all throughout the rev range and just seems to get louder, whereas the RCF starts with a low tone and becomes high pitched as you move up the rev range and the exhaust will actually burble and pop as well, which i love!

Trust me and the other Borla owners, I think i've convinced at least 3-4 ppl on the CL forum to get the Borla for the RCF, and so far no-one has had anything negative to say (besides the tips, which is just aesthetic).
The following users liked this post:
RCF100 (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 10:19 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by Sparker
I don't think that the resonator delete is needed, as it's significantly louder/improved over the stock sound. The Borla is pretty loud out of the box without being extremely obnoxious. I can send you some video clips if you'd like since we didn't get to meet up, i have a few up on IG SoneshSoFresh. If you still desire more, you might as well consider headers since you'll at least get some added power gain. But IMO, I would see how you like the Borla as is, and then modify it after the fact, since both the exhaust and resonator delete are fairly inexpensive anyway. Id rather make that mistake than throwing a couple G's into headers and regretting that.

The reason why i love the Borla(outside of bargain) is that there's no drone and the cabin is already so well insulated that it's just the right amount of noise inside the vehicle for everyday living/driving. However, drop the windows on a nice day or run through a tunnel and you'll realize just how loud and amazing sounding it actually is for all the lucky ppl outside =p.

I too was worried about the exhaust sounding too similar to american-muscle, but one day i got into a small rev-battle with an 8cyl mustang (also had exhaust) and i can say that they are without a doubt two distinct tones. The mustang has a very low tone all throughout the rev range and just seems to get louder, whereas the RCF starts with a low tone and becomes high pitched as you move up the rev range and the exhaust will actually burble and pop as well, which i love!

Trust me and the other Borla owners, I think i've convinced at least 3-4 ppl on the CL forum to get the Borla for the RCF, and so far no-one has had anything negative to say (besides the tips, which is just aesthetic).
Yeah I'm thinking I'll go without it at first! I've actually seen your instagram before and your videos make it sound very aggressive. I think it should be here tomorrow!! Hopefully I will be able to bring it in to get it installed right away.
Old 03-09-17, 06:04 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Yes, it's possible to drive quietly.
She's actually fairly quiet if you can keep your foot out of the throttle, but she sounds so sweet you'll be looking for tunnels and overpasses!
At red lights its fun to give her a rev and have people looking around for the muscle car, then just go burbling away.
Old 03-10-17, 10:52 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF100
Has anyone done this?

My exhaust is on its way from Meraki as we speak! Was thinking of possibly doing a resonator delete but not sure if I should. Has anyone done it with their borla exhaust? Any opinions on how it would change the sound?

Thanks
I'm 100% against modifying the Borla in any shape or form, unless you find a way to change the tips, that's the only thing I'd want to do. Curious to hear it with the PPE headers, but mine sounds pretty angry, and many can attest to that. Feel free to watch some videos at http://instagram.com/wtrcf
Old 03-10-17, 10:55 AM
Sparker
Rookie

I would like to add that when you go for installation make sure you have the the shop do some spot welds around the connection joints. The entire installation should be no more than 1 hour and cost $100-150. It's literally a bolt-on and spot welding the joints.

Quick Reply: Resonator delete on Borla exhaust