RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Need Help: Brake Malfunction, Check ABS, Check BSM

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 11:19 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Need Help: Brake Malfunction, Check ABS, Check BSM

Error Messages: Brake Malfunction, Check ABS, Check BSM System, Rear Brakes ONLY
Lights On: Traction Off, ABS, Brake

I recently got this after a series of events in chronological order: Just replaced my oem rotors to 2pc rotors, oem brake pads to endless, installed rear upper arms, changed tires from Hankook 255/30 and 285/30/20 to Michelin PSS 265/30 and 295/30/20 on AVS Model F50 20x10 +35 and 20x11 +40. Correct Hub Rings installed on the rims. Then, a 200+ mile speed cruise with other RCFs. By the end of the day, those lights and error messages popped up after my aircup compressor kept pumping air to the tank. There was an air leak in one of the hard line pipes so, I had to disconnect the power to the air compressors.

Do you guys think it overloaded the system or grounded the sensors when my air compressors kept pumping? Or it was just a crazy coincidence?

Are my brakes failing? My car still brake pretty good.

The handling of my car felt weird after changing my tires though. The rear doesn't rub. I might need alignment. And have my coilovers checked. It really feels weird.
Old 02-28-17, 11:44 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

check your rear speed sensors. If your car is dropped and the installer isn't careful, the control arms will slice them up. This happened to me. You need to alter the way the wires are routed if you drop the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deanrcf:
ba2sy (03-01-17), RazorIS250 (03-14-18)
Old 03-01-17, 12:23 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
check your rear speed sensors. If your car is dropped and the installer isn't careful, the control arms will slice them up. This happened to me. You need to alter the way the wires are routed if you drop the car.
oh... I'll try to ask Lexus to check it... I hope that solves the problem...
Old 03-01-17, 12:31 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

It's a wiring harness issue.....somehow you've nicked one somewhere around the wheel well. Happened to me when I took a corner too aggressively. As Deanrcf stated...it should be the harness that's around the control arms.
The following users liked this post:
ba2sy (03-04-17)
Old 03-01-17, 02:16 PM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you explain or show (picture) how the wires are altered please? This is the second time from another owner that's been noted on here.
Old 03-01-17, 03:08 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaimikazee
Can you explain or show (picture) how the wires are altered please? This is the second time from another owner that's been noted on here.
Not without taking the rear wheel off. I can't get to it any time soon. You're not really modifying anything as much as repositioning. The wire is pinched when we lower our cars and/or change out upper control arm. In the OEM position, the wire is pinched between upper arm and lower arm, because we have reduced the suspension travel distance when we lower our cars. The speed sensor wire is routed from under the back seat through the rear wheel well and then through a bracket to hub. You need to unscrew the bracket that the wire runs through and rotate it in such a way that the wire does not make contact with lower arm during suspension travel. In the pic, you can see the wire harness with lavender stripe running through the bracket and bolted to the orange upper arm. The bolt you'll be loosening is at the bottom of the bracket. You can't see in the picture, but there is a lower control arm that will pinch the wire. This is the best i can do right now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Deanrcf:
Davew77 (03-01-17), nelson143 (03-01-17), RazorIS250 (03-14-18)
Old 03-01-17, 04:06 PM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where the white arrow is pointing, that's where I have freed the wire. I basically took a vice grip and pried open the mounting bracket where you can see how it's pinched on. I then wrapped it over multiple times with black duct tape just in case it would rub. I would assume that's where the problem is occurring?
Not without taking the rear wheel off. I can't get to it any time soon. You're not really modifying anything as much as repositioning. The wire is pinched when we lower our cars and/or change out upper control arm. In the OEM position, the wire is pinched between upper arm and lower arm, because we have reduced the suspension travel distance when we lower our cars. The speed sensor wire is routed from under the back seat through the rear wheel well and then through a bracket to hub. You need to unscrew the bracket that the wire runs through and rotate it in such a way that the wire does not make contact with lower arm during suspension travel. In the pic, you can see the wire harness with lavender stripe running through the bracket and bolted to the orange upper arm. The bolt you'll be loosening is at the bottom of the bracket. You can't see in the picture, but there is a lower control arm that will pinch the wire. This is the best i can do right now.
RazorIS250 (03-14-18)
Old 03-01-17, 06:16 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Kind of the same way how I re-oriented the bracket. I also drilled a second hole through it so I can mount it with two bolts.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 03-01-17 at 06:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JT2MA71:
ba2sy (03-04-17), LRCSALES (03-02-17), RazorIS250 (03-14-18)
Old 03-04-17, 04:21 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Were your wires destroyed after the Brake Malfuntion Error or just need to re-route and connect them? I haven't had the chance to have it checked by Lexus or rear upper arm installer.
Old 03-04-17, 08:22 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

The pic Dean posted is of my car....the wiring harness was repairable, but I still ordered and replaced it with a new one. You can order the harness online I think for around 100$......but the dealership charged me around 5-600 including labor. I should have done it myself.
ba2sy (03-04-17)
Old 03-04-17, 08:43 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carnevino
The pic Dean posted is of my car....the wiring harness was repairable, but I still ordered and replaced it with a new one. You can order the harness online I think for around 100$......but the dealership charged me around 5-600 including labor. I should have done it myself.
Oh... that's quite a difference... Do you know the part number?
Old 03-04-17, 01:00 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

I repaired my wire with solder and electrical tape. It wasn't totally severed. This was months ago and it seems to be holding. To replace the harness you will need to know how to remove back seats, that's where they connect to the car through a hole in the wheel well. The part numbers are different for the driver and passenger side and the wires hav different color stripes. The driver side had lavender stripe and the passenger I believe has a blue stripe. I also have ordered a replacement, but since the repair is holding I haven't replaced. You don't need Lexus to confirm, just take off rear wheel and check out the wire for nicks or cuts.

Last edited by Deanrcf; 03-04-17 at 01:04 PM.
ba2sy (03-04-17)
Old 03-04-17, 02:48 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Part number for driver side speed sensor is 89546-24040. You can see the grommet at the bottom of the pic. This section actually goes into the rear cabin under rear seats. Everything else is in the wheel well. note the grommet and white connector. this section goes into the rear cabin under rear seat
ba2sy (03-04-17)
Old 03-04-17, 09:43 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

I repaired my wire with solder and electrical tape. It wasn't totally severed. This was months ago and it seems to be holding. To replace the harness you will need to know how to remove back seats, that's where they connect to the car through a hole in the wheel well. The part numbers are different for the driver and passenger side and the wires hav different color stripes. The driver side had lavender stripe and the passenger I believe has a blue stripe. I also have ordered a replacement, but since the repair is holding I haven't replaced. You don't need Lexus to confirm, just take off rear wheel and check out the wire for nicks or cuts.
Thanks for the part number and pics guys. Deanrcf, if ever I need to replace them new, I can probably buy yours. For now, I will go into Tommy's MusicBox to see if soldering and electrical tape can fix like you did.
Old 03-05-17, 01:15 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

If you can get your hands on heat shrink wrap then that's a better option

Quick Reply: Need Help: Brake Malfunction, Check ABS, Check BSM