RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Real or Synthetic Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 07:51 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by JT2MA71:
BossMoss (06-21-17), danielTRLK (06-20-17), Leander311 (07-01-17), lobuxracer (06-23-17)
Old 06-27-17, 01:40 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tribologik Oil Analysis

Got my oil analysis back. My engine is consuming oil at a rate of 1 L per 1000 km (actual stint was 1400 km and 1.4 L were consumed). I was hoping this analysis would shed some light on what is wrong with my engine. Lexus at first showed me consumption specs at 1L per 3000 km. Lexus corp then informed me that the spec is 1 L per 1500 km. Now they are showing me specs from the LFA and are telling me 1L per 1000 km is within spec a la Lexus LFA? They have denied my claim saying that there is no problem with my engine. What do you guys think? What recourse do I have in Ontario, Canada to fight this. Or should I just add 6-8 L per 8000 km OCI and shut up.

Some more random items:
Toyota conventional oil used 5W30 API SN
Stock Lexus oil filter used
Costco premium gas only
Karl fisher looks low at 110 ppm?
No modifications with the exception of an Apexi non resonated cat back exhaust and RSR springs

Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wolfman
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2017.06.27 - LEXUS_SN_5366_1.pdf (180.0 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by WolfManRCF; 06-27-17 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 08:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 06-28-17, 02:04 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

https://amp.businessinsider.com/aaa-...you-car-2017-6
Old 06-28-17, 03:07 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
Got my oil analysis back. My engine is consuming oil at a rate of 1 L per 1000 km (actual stint was 1400 km and 1.4 L were consumed). I was hoping this analysis would shed some light on what is wrong with my engine. Lexus at first showed me consumption specs at 1L per 3000 km. Lexus corp then informed me that the spec is 1 L per 1500 km. Now they are showing me specs from the LFA and are telling me 1L per 1000 km is within spec a la Lexus LFA? They have denied my claim saying that there is no problem with my engine. What do you guys think? What recourse do I have in Ontario, Canada to fight this. Or should I just add 6-8 L per 8000 km OCI and shut up.

Some more random items:
Costco premium gas only
No modifications with the exception of an Apexi non resonated cat back exhaust and RSR springs

wolfman
When performance car is driven like performance car it uses oil for sure. My Bimmer used to drink 1 Liter per 1000 Km or so all the time.
My son's Subaru WRX STi used to do it same. If you're concerned why don't you have a blow down test done to have peace of mind.
Oil analysis just tells which engine component is wearing normally or not. Non-wear component can impact oil consumption too.
Old 06-28-17, 04:55 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
When performance car is driven like performance car it uses oil for sure. My Bimmer used to drink 1 Liter per 1000 Km or so all the time.
My son's Subaru WRX STi used to do it same. If you're concerned why don't you have a blow down test done to have peace of mind.
Oil analysis just tells which engine component is wearing normally or not. Non-wear component can impact oil consumption too.
Well, clearly you must have missed my posts. Because oil analysis does WAY more than that. Your engine SHOULD NOT be consuming any oil. There is not maybe or maybe not, oil consumption is bad. Now if you're talking 500ml per 15,000KM that is a different story and even then, shouldn't be consuming.

Some more random items:
Costco premium gas only

wolfman
No, that analysis wouldn't shed anything, not even a tear drop when your engine devours itself. I'm going to be nice and just say, go back to our PM in which I gave you a contact to reach out to. The PMC lab, branded under Tribologik in Canada, I've had issues with to say the least. It's why I mentioned I don't have a lab source in Canada for you. WearCheck may be better, but expect to pay more.

2. They skimped on the "AET" Package and missed VI and VIS40. I get the impression, they also cheated on some of your tests, another reason we went separate ways.

3. How many miles on this oil? None of the values are correlating properly to the 21,319KM on that oil. Even if it was 2,131.9KM.

4. Tribologik is nothing more than a source of data. Their lab in Hammond and Canada is garbage and has huge issues. The people running the operation on the lab in the US side are a joke. The analysts can't even do a basic UOA interpretation and the Tribologik "Expert System", which I talked about in previous posts does not work on anything other than locomotives and turbines, EVEN THEN, I would have a tough time trusting it.

5. Stay away from the Costco Gas and take this thing to a Shell gas station. Think of this car as a model, do you want to feed her McDonalds or Whole Foods?

6. There is A LOT of recourse to fight this with Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (06-28-17)
Old 06-28-17, 06:04 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

What about Sam's Club gas?

Sam's Club gas does not advertise it's gas as TOP TIER. But Costco gas DOES advertise its gas as TOP TIER. So you are still saying to stay away from Costco gas ( even though it's TOP TIER)?

On our previous 2000 LX470 (bought new and then traded in at 280K+ miles back in 2013 for a new LX570), we used 90% of the time cheapest REGULAR 87 OCTANE gas (Costco, Sam's Club, or some other cheap no name brands) we can find. I personally saw to it that the oil got changed every 3K to 4K mile's (either changed the oil myself or by the Lexus dealership). Although we had ABSOLUTELY NO ENGINE problems, we did notice over the years (especially the very last two years before trade in) there was a noticeable loss of power. There was no "smoke" or anything coming out of the tail pipe. But definitely a noticeable loss of power. So I do think there IS a difference with which brand of gas you use. It's up to the owner to decide which gas to use.

So this time around on our new Lexus (Lexi), we try to use "better gas". We also found the vehicles just runs smoother on "better gas". Maybe it's all a mind game with all the advertising out there. LOL.

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
Well, clearly you must have missed my posts. Because oil analysis does WAY more than that. Your engine SHOULD NOT be consuming any oil. There is not maybe or maybe not, oil consumption is bad. Now if you're talking 500ml per 15,000KM that is a different story and even then, shouldn't be consuming.

No, that analysis wouldn't shed anything, not even a tear drop when your engine devours itself. I'm going to be nice and just say, go back to our PM in which I gave you a contact to reach out to. The PMC lab, branded under Tribologik in Canada, I've had issues with to say the least. It's why I mentioned I don't have a lab source in Canada for you. WearCheck may be better, but expect to pay more.

2. They skimped on the "AET" Package and missed VI and VIS40. I get the impression, they also cheated on some of your tests, another reason we went separate ways.

3. How many miles on this oil? None of the values are correlating properly to the 21,319KM on that oil. Even if it was 2,131.9KM.

4. Tribologik is nothing more than a source of data. Their lab in Hammond and Canada is garbage and has huge issues. The people running the operation on the lab in the US side are a joke. The analysts can't even do a basic UOA interpretation and the Tribologik "Expert System", which I talked about in previous posts does not work on anything other than locomotives and turbines, EVEN THEN, I would have a tough time trusting it.

5. Stay away from the Costco Gas and take this thing to a Shell gas station. Think of this car as a model, do you want to feed her McDonalds or Whole Foods?

6. There is A LOT of recourse to fight this with Lexus.

Last edited by lexusrus; 06-28-17 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 08:01 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Thanks Daniel for your insights.

This oil was in my engine for about 8100 km. Note though that during this time the dealership was adding 6-8 L during the OCI to keep the engine topped up. What's your best gues why this engine is consuming oil at 1 L per 1000 km ?

Damn I should have paid better attention to your PM. I saw you and Lance using Tribologik and figured to go with that when I saw they had a lab in Montreal, Canada.

Any pointers on where to start with Lexus. I call their number and ask to speak to someone in upper management and they tell me "we don't do that". This is my first new Lexus bought from a dealership and I honestly never thought I would have to go through this kind of treatment with Lexus.

wolfman
Old 06-29-17, 12:54 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Is there a Lemon law in Canada?

Way back in the 80's we had a Dodge hatchback made by Mitsubishi (forgot the model) bought brand new. It used oil at an alarming rate. We took it to the dealer more than like 5 times in the first 6 months of ownership. So we filed for a lemon law case in Florida (We had lived in FL at the time). We did not hire a lawyer since I felt confident I had a case. I was able to carefully DOCUMENT the rate of oil depletion per mile driven and records of each dealership's visit.

The Dodge HQ tried to call it normal, but I stated in court if this is called normal, then "Is it NORMAL that I need to carry cases of motor oil in my car while driving? Does your car owner's manual advise all consumers to carry cases of motor oil in their Dodge cars? What about when I drive long distances and having to stop on the side of the road trying to put in some oil in the engine because the warning light came on the dash. What about this one time I HAD to stop in the middle of a DRAW BRIDGE to add oil to the ENGINE and held up traffic (yes, I had police documentations of the incident for that incident)? So as this "DEFECT" IS A HAZARD AND SAFETY ISSUE, NOT JUST AN ANNOYING INCONVENIENCE. SO I ASK THE QUESTION, "IS THIS NORMAL?"

ANYWAY, I won the case and Dodge took the car back and gave me a refund.

This oil was in my engine for about 8100 km. Note though that during this time the dealership was adding 6-8 L during the OCI to keep the engine topped up. What's your best gues why this engine is consuming oil at 1 L per 1000 km ?

Damn I should have paid better attention to your PM. I saw you and Lance using Tribologik and figured to go with that when I saw they had a lab in Montreal, Canada.

Any pointers on where to start with Lexus. I call their number and ask to speak to someone in upper management and they tell me "we don't do that". This is my first new Lexus bought from a dealership and I honestly never thought I would have to go through this kind of treatment with Lexus.

wolfman
Old 06-29-17, 12:45 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no Lemon Law in Canada.
Old 06-29-17, 05:06 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusrus
What about Sam's Club gas?

Sam's Club gas does not advertise it's gas as TOP TIER. But Costco gas DOES advertise its gas as TOP TIER. So you are still saying to stay away from Costco gas ( even though it's TOP TIER)?

On our previous 2000 LX470 (bought new and then traded in at 280K+ miles back in 2013 for a new LX570), we used 90% of the time cheapest REGULAR 87 OCTANE gas (Costco, Sam's Club, or some other cheap no name brands) we can find. I personally saw to it that the oil got changed every 3K to 4K mile's (either changed the oil myself or by the Lexus dealership). Although we had ABSOLUTELY NO ENGINE problems, we did notice over the years (especially the very last two years before trade in) there was a noticeable loss of power. There was no "smoke" or anything coming out of the tail pipe. But definitely a noticeable loss of power. So I do think there IS a difference with which brand of gas you use. It's up to the owner to decide which gas to use.

So this time around on our new Lexus (Lexi), we try to use "better gas". We also found the vehicles just runs smoother on "better gas". Maybe it's all a mind game with all the advertising out there. LOL.
Sam's gas is just that, discount gas. Stick to the Shell fuel, it's only a few pennies more, if you really want to make a difference switch to gieco and save 15%. Or switch to The General and save 50%!!!

Stay away from anything not Shell. Again it's not so much your car won't run, but rather how clean will it burn? Will you have deposits on every valve or will they be clean? There is a big difference in fuel and it has little to do with will your engine fail. Fuel economy, clean running, power, etc. No mind games.
Old 06-29-17, 05:18 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

wolfman
Well, that is really bad. At 5,000 miles, that oil is pretty much a xW-20, not a 30 weight, yet fuel % was 1.09%.

I believe the lab data is off but no longer have access to the samples and data.

What kind of driving style is this vehicle driven in?
Old 06-29-17, 05:31 PM
drifto
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sam's gas is just that, discount gas. Stick to the Shell fuel, it's only a few pennies more, if you really want to make a difference switch to gieco and save 15%. Or switch to The General and save 50%!!!

Stay away from anything not Shell. Again it's not so much your car won't run, but rather how clean will it burn? Will you have deposits on every valve or will they be clean? There is a big difference in fuel and it has little to do with will your engine fail. Fuel economy, clean running, power, etc. No mind games.
In Canada shell's highest octane is only 91 octane. I normally only use Chevron's 94 octane. What is your opinion on that?
Old 06-29-17, 05:44 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Received my package and I'll be providing an oil simple in the future...

Thank you, Sir...

Repeated post -
I think a lot of people on this forum are very keen on keeping their vehicles in top shape, after all, most of us want to hit redline repeatly without suffering a power loss over time for doing so. I can't say why, at least not yet, but for this week (from 6/18/2017 between 4:30PMCST on 6/23/2017) I can offer everyone who asks a free oil analysis kit. You can use this to confirm wear, test blackstone or just pee in a cup and see if you're made of iron. Just e-mail me, daniel@tribologik.com. I need some kind of name, not a username, an address to ship to, an e-mail address and a phone number. The free samples do not have to be returned within any time frame. Once they are shipped out, they are good for life, keep them in your garage or where ever. Consider it a father's day gift for everyone on CL(I always think Craigslist is e-mailing me lol).

Daniel Mackey
123 Great Street
Schaumburg, Il. 60173
Daniel@yahoo.com
630-000-1234
Old 06-29-17, 05:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

That's too bad. There ought to be Lemon Laws in every country.

BTW, California state mandates a longer warranty on the hybrid batteries versus the other 49 states.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no Lemon Law in Canada.

Quick Reply: Real or Synthetic Oil....