RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Real or Synthetic Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 12:54 AM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Results are in for RLI's 5w-30. It performed quite well, it is number 4 behind the Amsoil Signature Series in load testing, and even at 275F, it only lost 0.7% of its load capacity. Daniel was right about it being really good oil. Now it just needs to produce used oil results after being in service.

Daniel is right about RAT's testing in one sense, but ultimately, oil performance in service starts with load capacity. If it isn't there from the start, it will only get worse over time.

I am now a convert. I'll be running RLI in all my engines with the very next oil change, and I'll be reporting back my lab results to show just how well it manages fuel dilution which I believe to be the biggest problem issue with our engines. Also - this is not the same oil Daniel linked (he specified the low ash), this is the oil RLI recommends for passenger cars:

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
I've been using the RLI low ash recommended by Daniel for my last two oil changes. When I drained the oil after 5k miles, I was surprised by how clean it "looked" compared to what I got when I drained it at the first oil change. Obviously, looks mean nothing without testing, and I still plan on changing my oil every 5k miles regardless, but I thought it worth mentioning. I'm interested in seeing your results over time!
Old 07-16-18, 09:17 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I've always thought that the dirtier looking an oil was when draining, the better it was doing it's job. AFAIK, a good oil is supposed to clean and hold the dirt particles in suspension until drained. When I drain my Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, it comes out looking pretty dark.

Lou
Old 07-16-18, 02:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

The color has nothing to do with "dirt" because if there is dirt in your engine, it will show up in the UOA as silicates. The color change is from oxidation, so what you are saying is your Pennzoil oxidizes heavily in service.
Old 07-16-18, 08:16 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Lance, that's awesome to see that you sent it to rat. can you test the HDMO? The SHP is the weak cheaper version of BioSyn. The HDMO version is like a Ferrari 488 with an aftermarket twin turbo to a bone stock RC-F. Now if you could run the straight HDMO and not the low ash, you would get even better results.

I would venture that the HDMO LA or the HDMO straight would be #1's on rat's testing results.

Does rat charge you for testing?

I have a lab source btw that charges me $40/sample with full testing so message me when you need results. The SHP wouldn't do 10,000 miles on your GS F but the HDMO Low Ash could probably net 18,000 miles before it would oxidize. I had 20,000 going on Amsoil 0W20 before I got rear ended though.
Old 07-16-18, 08:36 PM
2hvy4grvty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoughts on https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...-no-redirect=1
Old 07-17-18, 11:32 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

"Preferred Amsoil Member" here = Wholesale Pricing
Just placed a HUGE order for myself and another RCF Member choosing to run the Signature Series!
That is what I WILL be using after the first two Lexus Oil Changes, no doubt!

**Lobuxracer actually provided me with some sound insight and thought on Amsoil.
"A Premium Product, at a Premium Price"
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...sers-here.html

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 07-17-18 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 12:14 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
"Preferred Amsoil Member" here = Wholesale Pricing
Just placed a HUGE order for myself and another RCF Member choosing to run the Signature Series!
That is what I WILL be using after the first two Lexus Oil Changes, no doubt!

**Lobuxracer actually provided me with some sound insight and thought on Amsoil.
"A Premium Product, at a Premium Price"
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...sers-here.html
are you a rolling advertisement for Amsoil? This thread was originally data based posts.
Old 07-17-18, 03:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
Lance, that's awesome to see that you sent it to rat. can you test the HDMO? The SHP is the weak cheaper version of BioSyn. The HDMO version is like a Ferrari 488 with an aftermarket twin turbo to a bone stock RC-F. Now if you could run the straight HDMO and not the low ash, you would get even better results.

I would venture that the HDMO LA or the HDMO straight would be #1's on rat's testing results.

Does rat charge you for testing?

I have a lab source btw that charges me $40/sample with full testing so message me when you need results. The SHP wouldn't do 10,000 miles on your GS F but the HDMO Low Ash could probably net 18,000 miles before it would oxidize. I had 20,000 going on Amsoil 0W20 before I got rear ended though.
RAT doesn't charge for testing, but it isn't free either. Shipping ain't cheap and there is a $10 handling charge. Post me links, I'll get the other oils and send them to him now that I have the shipping instructions. If they really have a higher load capacity, it would be amazing for sure. The one tested was pretty spectacular IMHO when you look at how little it was affected by temperature. Thermal breakdown onset at 275F is also in rare company and when you consider this is biodegradable, I really don't know how you could run anything else with a clear conscience.

Looking at the description of HDMO, it looks to be designed for diesel service. Are you sure about running it in gasoline engines vs. the recommended PCMO? I know diesels have different needs, and for the same reasons I wouldn't expect great performance from Rotella (it doesn't test all that great either) in a gasoline application. PM me or give me a call. Happy to discuss.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-17-18 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 01:58 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
RAT doesn't charge for testing, but it isn't free either. Shipping ain't cheap and there is a $10 handling charge. Post me links, I'll get the other oils and send them to him now that I have the shipping instructions. If they really have a higher load capacity, it would be amazing for sure. The one tested was pretty spectacular IMHO when you look at how little it was affected by temperature. Thermal breakdown onset at 275F is also in rare company and when you consider this is biodegradable, I really don't know how you could run anything else with a clear conscience.

Looking at the description of HDMO, it looks to be designed for diesel service. Are you sure about running it in gasoline engines vs. the recommended PCMO? I know diesels have different needs, and for the same reasons I wouldn't expect great performance from Rotella (it doesn't test all that great either) in a gasoline application. PM me or give me a call. Happy to discuss.
I’ll call tomorrow. Yes, the HDMO LA was originally formulated for treating fuel dilution and wear in high performance Audi RS4’s/R8’s. They realized not long after that it performed equally as well in diesel applications.

The SHP/PCMO versions aren’t bad, but they’re just weaker/cheaper versions than HDMO LA. Now the regular HDMO is king of the hill, unfortunately, most people here run cats. I might run the SHP(PCMO version of BioSyn) in my GX but the problem is availability and price is what kills the oil. Since HDMO LA is only available in a 5W30. Amsoil is 10 minutes away, and it gets good results for the price. Also, the SHP will not last more than 9,000 miles before it’s heavily oxidized. SS on the other hand will just continue its merry little way. And with E85 in the GX, fuel dilution is not even an issue.

In diesel vehicles, HDMO BioSyn has just smoked every oil out there.

BioSyn could be reformulated to be made twice as good, but the cost would be higher and they already have sales issues.
Old 07-18-18, 02:59 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Can someone explain why an oil change out of a LPG car comes out as clean as the day it went in,10000 miles later. and the combustion chamber is spotless. I have a lot of experience In this field, and many others, and it doesn't mater what oil was used. My theory is LPG burns a lot hotter ???
Old 07-18-18, 03:40 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs down Negative

are you a rolling advertisement for Amsoil? This thread was originally data based posts.
Why would you even suggest such a thing?
Did I say "Anyone who would like Amsoil, PM me?" NO!
Guess I will have to bring my Oil Analysis Sheet to the table eh?
Old 07-19-18, 11:03 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by isfvss
Can someone explain why an oil change out of a LPG car comes out as clean as the day it went in,10000 miles later. and the combustion chamber is spotless. I have a lot of experience In this field, and many others, and it doesn't mater what oil was used. My theory is LPG burns a lot hotter ???
Because it's a clean burning fuel, there is no soot on those fuels. EGR is primarily what is discoloring the oil, there are a few other reasons why it turns black as well, but it's not as much as you'd think. Put your hand over the stove and then put your hand over a gasoline flame, you'll understand the difference when your hand turns black.
Old 07-20-18, 03:35 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

YEP its amazing a LPG taxi gets 800000kms with little more than a gearbox in 2 years and sold off, but a petrol car has a myriad of problems taxi or private with the same oil, just ask some NY cabby's….. or Sydney cabby's
Old 10-14-18, 10:41 AM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just discovered this thread from here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tenance-2.html

Hope Daniel is still hanging around here. Want to get my first UOA done.
Also, just placed my first order for 10 quarts of Renewable Lubricants Bio-SynXtra HDMO 5W30 Low Ash and my WIX 57041XP.
This was a great few hours' read, learned alot.
Old 10-14-18, 12:23 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Sam's gas is just that, discount gas. Stick to the Shell fuel, it's only a few pennies more, if you really want to make a difference switch to gieco and save 15%. Or switch to The General and save 50%!!!

Stay away from anything not Shell. Again it's not so much your car won't run, but rather how clean will it burn? Will you have deposits on every valve or will they be clean? There is a big difference in fuel and it has little to do with will your engine fail. Fuel economy, clean running, power, etc. No mind games.
I dont have Shell where I live and have been using Costco on my F150/Saab. What do you recommend aside from Shell? What is your #2 and #3 recommendation after Shell? Dont have Chevron/Mobil/Exxon either.

Quick Reply: Real or Synthetic Oil....