RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Real or Synthetic Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 11:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
By “FULL SYN”, you mean hydro cracked group 3 oil? Because thats what most of them are.
I can bet any money that any quality oil that meets your required API and service class that is changed at scheduled intervals will make your engine last 300k miles.
There's more to it than this for these engines. My IS F has a cam chain tensioner issue that shows up on cold cycle, first start from fully cold with Mobil 1 5w-30. I have a You Tube video
of this noise. Since I started using Renewable Lubricants PCMO 5w-30 SHP, the noise is gone. This after learning Lexus Europe has identified the cam chain tensioner on the left bank to be faulty, and Lexus have globally changed the part number for this tensioner to a redesigned part. So, will you engine be OK long term with "any" oil meeting the API requirements? Maybe, assuming your cam chain issue doesn't cause some kind of damage first. Mobil 1 is not a good choice for these engines. What I am seeing with RLI is unquestionably better from two 2UR-GSE engines, one in my IS F and the other in my GS F. The wear numbers on the GS F are so low it's hard to believe. Last but not least, engine last to 300k miles is very subjective. If it made 467hp at 30k miles, but only makes 395hp at 300k miles, I'd be disappointed and wouldn't call it "last 300k miles" at all.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
BossMoss (05-31-20), cvt (05-31-20), Joe Z (06-09-20), Mingofish (06-01-20)
Old 09-26-21, 01:17 PM
slickster
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem mixing synthetic with conventional oil.
Old 10-21-21, 01:02 PM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I've been changing my oil and helping my daad change his oil since the early 80's. My father has ALWAYS been about proper maintenance. We lived on a dirt road when I started driving....and then I staretd delivering pizzas. He was very clear. I will NOT go past 3K miles with lots of city driving / driving on a dirt road (150 yrd long) without changing my oil. In all fairness, the oil was very dark when changed. I went off to college 2 years later. I was talking to my dad before my first summer break and told him I really should change the oil before coming home. He said I was fine as most of my driving was long highway with little city driving. The oil reflected that when I got home and changed it.

My point is that there are conditions that cause the oil to get dirty or wear out faster. Dirt roads, mostly citty driving, aggresive driving. None of us drive the same roads or drive the same way. indivual results may vary. :-)

The car value on trade in statement if you dont have all the maintenance records. I have always put lots of miles on my vehicles a year commuting to work. I prefer to live outside of the city. I typically trade them in in the ~130-150K mile range. I am super picky about taking care of my vehicles. I park in the end spots to be further over to keep from getting dings. I keep the outside and inside looking very clean. I have been given full excellent rating + on a few cars when trading in. The appraisers always say "anyone who keeps a car looking this clean on the ouside does not skimp on the maintenace". I always do my own maintenance and always will until I am physically unable...and then God help me because I trust VERY few places to touch my car.
Old 10-08-23, 12:10 PM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
That's some great info and I applaud you for doing it right and getting the oil analysis.

However, unless you intend to keep your car until it dies the point is really moot. Spotty service records will devalue the car. Going 15k miles between oil changes? I wouldn't touch it.

"But a moderator on our forum said it was okay to go 15k miles between oil changes so long as I was using Mobil 1 and he had lab reports to back it up."

Not following the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule is not recommended if you are on a lease or ever intend to sell your car at a dealer (you may be able to convince a private party). You personally "might" be able to use the lab results since you are in possession of the lab results and they were done on your specific car. But anyone else reading this thread is going to have a hard time getting full value for their car if they only change the oil 6 times in 100k miles and try to use your post as their evidence that the car is fine.

I'll keep using dino oil and changing at 5k intervals as per the manufacturer's recommendations. The effect that service records have on the value of your car is not a feeling, it's a fact.
i hear, but ive sold a lot of my personal cars over the last 40 years, and only a few folks actually asked for service records, and one of those was for a V12 Mercedes…. Most of the time im offering to provide all receipts but they dont have much interest
Old 10-08-23, 02:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

^^^^I keep all my maintenance on an Excel spread sheet. My experience is buyers are interested
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (10-09-23)