Hopefully New Member of RC F

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 09:05 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Hopefully New Member of RC F

Good morning everyone!

I'm completely new to this forum, but I've been reading like a madman for the past 48 hours, especially in the RC F sub-forum, so hopefully I won't ask too many things that have already been answered.
For additional context: my family recently shifted a lot of their cars from Benz to Lexus (primarily because certified service is almost impossible where they are for Benz).
Geographically, I don't live anywhere near them so I'm not pressured by that aspect, but after driving some of their cars I can see the appeal of a reliable and quiet (not really true for RC-F but that's not the point haha) automobile that won't break the bank.
On to the real point!

I actually joined to ask a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on buying a 2017 RC F.
Not that I have anything against used, but I've actually never bought a used car before and have a small but logical fear of unforeseen problems/expenses.
If I'm really off base please let me know on that point.

First off, based on what the people at dealerships tell me, the 2018 model will have extremely limited differences exterior-wise and just a couple of small interior changes.
Given that many people here are experts and/or have their ear to the ground, I thought I'd ask what your input would be for the difference between a 2018 and 2018 and if it's worth waiting.
If anyone has any in detail answer to what those exact changes would be, that'd be amazing as well.

Second, how do people feel about the upcoming LC 500?
I know it isn't out yet, but the Super Bowl got me to question being patient and saving up and maybe grabbing that instead of the RC F.

Third, how seriously should I consider the Torque Vectoring Differential?
Based on reviews and comments, it seems like it's a bit overpriced and most likely negligible to the vast majority of drivers (especially those who don't spend a lot of time at the track if any).
It also seems to interfere with the option of doing the red leather interior so that was a bit of a minus.

Lastly, many of the dealerships add the option in their MSRP of "triple LED headlights" but already have the premium package.
Wasn't the Triple included in the premium package?

Thank you all in advance for your time and response.
Looking forward to joining the Lexus community.
Old 02-10-17, 12:12 PM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Good morning everyone!

I'm completely new to this forum, but I've been reading like a madman for the past 48 hours, especially in the RC F sub-forum, so hopefully I won't ask too many things that have already been answered.
For additional context: my family recently shifted a lot of their cars from Benz to Lexus (primarily because certified service is almost impossible where they are for Benz).
Geographically, I don't live anywhere near them so I'm not pressured by that aspect, but after driving some of their cars I can see the appeal of a reliable and quiet (not really true for RC-F but that's not the point haha) automobile that won't break the bank.
On to the real point!

I actually joined to ask a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on buying a 2017 RC F.
Not that I have anything against used, but I've actually never bought a used car before and have a small but logical fear of unforeseen problems/expenses.
If I'm really off base please let me know on that point.

First off, based on what the people at dealerships tell me, the 2018 model will have extremely limited differences exterior-wise and just a couple of small interior changes.
Given that many people here are experts and/or have their ear to the ground, I thought I'd ask what your input would be for the difference between a 2018 and 2018 and if it's worth waiting.
If anyone has any in detail answer to what those exact changes would be, that'd be amazing as well.

This is one of those questions that will leave you not getting something you want for an eternity. Just buy now and enjoy the car. There will always be something better coming down the road, same could be said by LaFerrari buyers when it was announced, will the spider come down the line? A LaFerrari V2, etc.

Second, how do people feel about the upcoming LC 500?
I know it isn't out yet, but the Super Bowl got me to question being patient and saving up and maybe grabbing that instead of the RC F.

Personal preference, but I would go with the RCF over the LC500. The price difference is far too big to justify going for the LC in my opinion.

Third, how seriously should I consider the Torque Vectoring Differential?
Based on reviews and comments, it seems like it's a bit overpriced and most likely negligible to the vast majority of drivers (especially those who don't spend a lot of time at the track if any).
It also seems to interfere with the option of doing the red leather interior so that was a bit of a minus.

This is the one package I was hoping the car DIDN'T have when I was looking. Also the "carbon" pieces are personal preference visually as well. For the $5k extra, you can do many other fantastic things.

Lastly, many of the dealerships add the option in their MSRP of "triple LED headlights" but already have the premium package.
Wasn't the Triple included in the premium package?

It was included in the premium package in 15...Totally worth the extra money for the triple LED, looks so badass!

Thank you all in advance for your time and response.
Looking forward to joining the Lexus community.
Answered above.
Old 02-10-17, 12:28 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCF100
Answered above.
Appreciate the response.
I guess the only follow would be to ask, why in the world did they make it an option rather than standard for the triple LED after 15?
And why does the premium package even on the official Lexus page include the triple LED still?
Old 02-10-17, 12:43 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Appreciate the response.
I guess the only follow would be to ask, why in the world did they make it an option rather than standard for the triple LED after 15?
And why does the premium package even on the official Lexus page include the triple LED still?
Maybe they were losing money selling the first year. Giving away $8k-$15k MSRP off. If they ever do that now, they will lose less money. And people will just pay premium for the Triple LED headlights.
Old 02-10-17, 01:34 PM
RCF100
Driver

Appreciate the response.
The price did change accordingly. So the premium package is cheaper now without the triple LED. No idea why they took it out, probably because it was more of a premium interior package so adding in headlights was kind of random? lol

That's a good question, no idea on that one! I can show you my price breakdown and you'll see it's separate though!
Old 02-10-17, 01:37 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

LC500: Depends on which look you prefer and how much money you're willing to pay.

TVD: Unless you are going to track your car, it's not worth the money in my opinion. However, the carbon fiber may be. You would pay more than what they charge for the performance package to get the carbon fiber alone in the aftermarket. But since the TVD adds weight, the carbon fiber only reduces the total weight by about 29 pounds. I'm assuming the packages have not changed for 2017. I don't know if you can get the carbon fiber without the TVD. If so, I would do that if I bought a new one.

Triple Beam Headlights: I wouldn't own a RC F without them. Period.
Old 02-10-17, 01:40 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by Davew77
LC500: Depends on which look you prefer and how much money you're willing to pay.

TVD: Unless you are going to track your car, it's not worth the money in my opinion. However, the carbon fiber may be. You would pay more than what they charge for the performance package to get the carbon fiber alone in the aftermarket. But since the TVD adds weight, the carbon fiber only reduces the total weight by about 29 pounds. I'm assuming the packages have not changed for 2017. I don't know if you can get the carbon fiber without the TVD. If so, I would do that if I bought a new one.

I've heard various people, including a couple at a lexus dealer, state that the carbon fiber roof/spoiler were not real carbon fiber. Has anyone tested/removed the pieces to make sure? Sounds like the package is basically paying for the TVD and the carbon is just a nice visual treat to lure you in lol
Old 02-10-17, 01:41 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I've heard various people, including a couple at a lexus dealer, state that the carbon fiber roof/spoiler were not real carbon fiber. Has anyone tested/removed the pieces to make sure? Sounds like the package is basically paying for the TVD and the carbon is just a nice visual treat to lure you in lol
If that's true, then how did it lose weight by adding the TVD? Assuming they didn't lie about that.
Old 02-10-17, 01:45 PM
RCF100
Driver

If that's true, then how did it lose weight by adding the TVD? Assuming they didn't lie about that.
Removing the moonroof would save a descent bit of weight alone I'm sure. I really don't know and haven't had the luxury of seeing a carbon fiber package RCF, but I would love to inspect it to see how it looks. Could have used a lighter weight material wrapped in carbon fiber as well?
Old 02-10-17, 01:48 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Removing the moonroof would save a descent bit of weight alone I'm sure. I really don't know and haven't had the luxury of seeing a carbon fiber package RCF, but I would love to inspect it to see how it looks. Could have used a lighter weight material wrapped in carbon fiber as well?
The package from Lexus is real. The wrap was done by a dealer. If the carbon fiber was fake from the factory it would be well known on the forum here as most people who would buy it would know the difference between the real thing and a wrap.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...bon-fiber.html
Old 02-10-17, 01:57 PM
RCF100
Driver

The package from Lexus is real. The wrap was done by a dealer. If the carbon fiber was fake from the factory it would be well known on the forum here as most people who would buy it would know the difference between the real thing and a wrap.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...bon-fiber.html
Interesting how the people at Lexus weren't even sure if it was real or not. You would think they would ensure their employees would say with 100% confidence that it's genuine. Pretty terrible that a dealer would try to fake that though.

Also, I'd have to disagree, many people would have absolutely no idea they got fake carbon fiber.
Old 02-10-17, 01:57 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

The price did change accordingly. So the premium package is cheaper now without the triple LED. No idea why they took it out, probably because it was more of a premium interior package so adding in headlights was kind of random? lol

That's a good question, no idea on that one! I can show you my price breakdown and you'll see it's separate though!
Oh okay, that's good to know.
I was looking at cars in inventory and they were premium package + Triple so I thought it was a major scam or something haha.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-10-17, 02:01 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

The price on the LC isn't so much the issue I think, but I'll do a bit more research before I make a decision.

TVD-wise I was leaning towards not getting it.
The general consensus seems to be it's not worth it that much for a daily driver.

I'm in love with the triple beam so definitely want it, just wasn't sure if it was an option or included in premium package.
Thank you!
Old 02-10-17, 02:02 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Interesting how the people at Lexus weren't even sure if it was real or not. You would think they would ensure their employees would say with 100% confidence that it's genuine. Pretty terrible that a dealer would try to fake that though.

Also, I'd have to disagree, many people would have absolutely no idea they got fake carbon fiber.
The dealer wraps are obviously fake. The performance package carbon fiber from the factory is absolutely real.

Last edited by Davew77; 02-11-17 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RCF100 (02-10-17)
Old 02-10-17, 02:04 PM
RCF100
Driver

Actually, from what I read Lexus offers carbon fiber reinforced plastic roof and spoiler. They did that on the LFA too. That's why it's so cheap at $5,500 including the TVD. I was aware that our premium package trim was just a laminate and not solid carbon fiber. But I would have thought the roof and spoiler were real. I know the hood is real, but you can't get it from the factory in the US and have to pay like $15k for it to get it from overseas.

So I stand corrected. It's not a wrap, but it's not 100% carbon fiber either.
Ahh, makes much more sense now! Thanks for clarifying. Wow $15K!

Quick Reply: Hopefully New Member of RC F