RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Conclusion to RCF wreck/totaled and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 05:37 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Conclusion to RCF wreck/totaled and replacement

Weird ride. On the 16th, State Farm told me and my shop that the car was not totaled. Estimate was $28.4k. I immediately saw about $6k left off that estimate including the very obvious side curtain air bags at $942.00 each. My shop spent a week tearing it down and found about another $10k. State Farm, however, had totaled my car on the 17th and never told me or the shop who continued to work on my car. State Farm said the engine was pushed into the firewall and the car did not need to be rebuilt due to safety concerns even if damages were below the threshold. I am grateful and State Farm put a surprising high value on my car even though it had well over 30k miles.

New car saga . . .

I said I would never do a BMW again, but never say never. I got a Competition Package M3 thinking it will be a great daily driver.

I can use the 4 doors and extra room although my heart still wants my RC F or another 911 as my daily driver.

I miss the RC F and I loved the Orange color, the way it drove, looked and felt. The M3 is crazy, frantic and powerful even without getting high into the rev range, but it just does not have the 911/RCF sports car type seating position and feel that I love so much.

We'll see how I feel about the M3 after spending a day with it as we got home pretty late last night with it, but right now I would take the RC F back especially considering the extra $$$s I dropped to get this.

​​​​​​​
Attached Thumbnails Conclusion to RCF wreck/totaled and replacement-unnamed-3.jpg   Conclusion to RCF wreck/totaled and replacement-unnamed-2.jpg   Conclusion to RCF wreck/totaled and replacement-unnamed-4.jpg  

Last edited by DougHII; 12-24-16 at 06:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ModInJapan (08-01-17)
Old 12-24-16, 06:01 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you got the correct gearbox...
Old 12-24-16, 06:16 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bwsteg
Glad you got the correct gearbox...
Yep. Super cool manual that rev matches in efficient and sport engine mode and lets me or makes me heel toe and drive it like a real sports car in Sports + mode if there is going to be any rev matching.
Old 12-24-16, 06:16 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad to hear your saga is pretty much over. A quality insurance company cannot be understated.

Good luck with the new ride!
Old 12-24-16, 08:22 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats on the ZCP M3! Nice color. Do visit in the future and let us know how it is treating you...
Old 12-24-16, 02:10 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad everything worked out and congrats on the M3 but I gotta ask this: if you liked the RC-F and wanted one so much, why not just go and get another one? I'd have seen it as a chance to get a 2017 with the variable suspension
Old 12-24-16, 03:14 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Glad everything worked out and congrats on the M3 but I gotta ask this: if you liked the RC-F and wanted one so much, why not just go and get another one? I'd have seen it as a chance to get a 2017 with the variable suspension
I really just wanted Orange and could not find one. I called about 5 or more new 2016s listed on cars.com at dealers all over the country, but they were all already sold. I called and tried to work a deal on a 2017 locally and in California, Texas, Florida and Atlanta. I could not get a decent deal and got some huge discounts on M3s and M4s all over the country. I also had a friend of ours at Lexus dealer try and locate me an orange that he could pull for me and get a deal on, but no dice.

I am really warming up to the M3 today. The car is nuts for a sedan and I still have not really gotten on it. I took out out on some wet backwoods, hilly twists today and had it drifting everywhere. The car is so predictable and easy to drive at its limits and when it rotates even in the wet.
Old 12-24-16, 04:18 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

nice replacement? this was one of the few cars i going to buy. i didn't like the holes in the the seats which i think they changed now. the car feels/is fast. but the m3 is nicer than the m4 at the end for me since it has wider fenders thats apparent to know its the special model. i was just hoping bmw did something drastic with the interior. it still feels dated to me . I'm kind of a tech kind guy and hoped for more. you are still driving a fast sedan. its an upgrade from the rc-f in certain aspects, still want to know how these motors hold up. great color you got as well.
Old 12-24-16, 07:59 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I really just wanted Orange and could not find one. I called about 5 or more new 2016s listed on cars.com at dealers all over the country, but they were all already sold. I called and tried to work a deal on a 2017 locally and in California, Texas, Florida and Atlanta. I could not get a decent deal and got some huge discounts on M3s and M4s all over the country. I also had a friend of ours at Lexus dealer try and locate me an orange that he could pull for me and get a deal on, but no dice.

I am really warming up to the M3 today. The car is nuts for a sedan and I still have not really gotten on it. I took out out on some wet backwoods, hilly twists today and had it drifting everywhere. The car is so predictable and easy to drive at its limits and when it rotates even in the wet.
What type of discounts are they running on the M3/M4? Are there too many units unsold or priced too expensive?
Old 12-24-16, 09:29 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
What type of discounts are they running on the M3/M4? Are there too many units unsold or priced too expensive?
Some dealers are discounting 2017s $5k to $6.5k spending on sticker prices and options. Many dealers would not move more than a $1,000 and BMW is offering $2,500 off for lease ($1,500 allowance + $1,000 holiday cash for purchase or lease cars).

The 2018 is coming out in May or June. The 2017s are selling quick as heck though. I was in holding pattern for about 2 weeks and during that time about 10 M3s I was looking at and considering got sold before I got confirmation that my car was totaled.

I purchased from my local dealer. They had 2 new 2017 M3s and they had a couple of 2016 and 2015s on Monday when I went by. I went by to purchase mine Friday and mine was the last one left . . . Someone came to purchase mine as we were doing our deal.
The following users liked this post:
ssmoked (12-24-16)
Old 12-24-16, 09:36 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
nice replacement? this was one of the few cars i going to buy. i didn't like the holes in the the seats which i think they changed now. the car feels/is fast. but the m3 is nicer than the m4 at the end for me since it has wider fenders thats apparent to know its the special model. i was just hoping bmw did something drastic with the interior. it still feels dated to me . I'm kind of a tech kind guy and hoped for more. you are still driving a fast sedan. its an upgrade from the rc-f in certain aspects, still want to know how these motors hold up. great color you got as well.
The competition package seats are incredible and look very, very cool IMO. The competition package also provides me with 3 settings for steering, 3 settings for suspension and 3 settings for engine programing and clutch. The clutch/transmission rev matches perfectly on the down shift in efficient and sport modes. It has less nannies, more aggressive mapping and makes you do your own heel toe or rev matching in sports + mode.

The heads up display is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails Conclusion to RCF wreck/totaled and replacement-unnamed-12.jpg  
Old 12-27-16, 10:42 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

m3 is super fun!

Any plan for modifications? I have Swift springs in stock for that car.

We had one with a JB tune and everything..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-28-16, 05:36 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats are in order for getting closure first and foremost!

Not a Bimmer fan but I totally get the appeal. A car is an object in the end but if your heart is on the RC F (still), you may be making a switch back soon enough. I might be doing the same and get out of my new A4
Old 12-28-16, 12:32 PM
n2knee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Love the YMB and zcp. That color just highlights the curves and blends perfectly well with the 666 wheels. You should look into getting the car coded for some Euro features that did not come with the car state side and code out the artificial engine sound in the interior. You should be able to have the coding session for around $100 for ALL Euro spec features.
Old 12-29-16, 05:43 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the M3 Doug. I know what you mean about the seating position and IMO the RC/RCF "cockpit feel" is far superior than most BMW/Mercedes or even some exotics I've driven. I myself am probably going to pick up an E92 in the next few months. That should hold me over for a year or so until the next major jump in pay.

Last edited by FR500GT; 12-29-16 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Conclusion to RCF wreck/totaled and replacement